NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

3 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

yea that makes no sense.  franco essentially will provide what story would lol

Right, Berrios and Kimbrel/Iglesias should be the targets, even Jon Gray

Edited by kmoore1521

I for one (as a Rays fan), would welcome Story with open arms. Franco could easily slide over to 3B or even 2B if they wanted him to.

Our team needs hitting BADLY. And with the recent acquisition of Nelson Cruz, adding another legit "middle of the order" guy would make a lot of sense.

You'd basically be looking at a batting order (more or less since it's the rays), of: Arozarena, Trevor Story, Nelson Cruz, Austin Meadows, Wander Franco....obviously Rays change their lineups daily, but having those 5 guys in most lineups...that would be big.

9 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Right, Berrios and Kimbrel/Iglesias should be the targets, even Jon Gray

The Rockies apparently aren't moving Gray or Bard; Bard I expected, he's a feel good story for them. Even though he could net a prospect, its OK to hang onto him. But failing to move Gray is absolutely terrible, and I'm hoping its just posturing from them to drive his price up. Whoever loses out on the best SP available (Berrios) is going to come calling for Gray, and the Rockies would be crazy to keep him.

2 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Max is a free agent this offseason. 

Another part of trades like this that we don't get the full details on, are some of the injury related conditions. I would be shocked if they didn't have a provision that nullifies some of the better names here if, for example, Scherzer only makes 4 starts for the Dodgers.

Its very commonplace that teams put that kind of insurance into deals like this. I don't criticize the Nats return as harshly because Max is an impending FA, and the Dodgers were surrendering their top 2 prospects for Turner, and got Scherzer at a discount to keep him away from their division rivals. Its not sitting well from a competitive balance standpoint, but this is exactly how a big market GM like Friedman should operate. 

1 hour ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

You're gonna end up getting Story, and you have like the best record in the majors lol 

Only a 3 game leader over a team that has added Duffy, Scherzer, and Turner.   But yeah let’s rest on the laurels of our record and not try to improve the roster when very strong teams in your division are either making moves or at least being linked to several players.  Sorry I stand corrected thank you.

Edited by ToO_BaD

The Giants just got Brandon Crawford back, have Longo and Belt and La Stella returning, maybe the braintrust (even though Zaidi's been there for years I still think of Brian Sabean as running the show, like many other teams where the senior exec is the former GM-Oakland etc) doesn't want to overpay for a Story rental if  they think the Dodgers are going to overtake them anyway.

I think with the way this deadline has gone, it would be folly for the Giants to overpay just for the sake of a move. They've been outflanked, unfortunately, but they still have a really solid team that just needs to stay healthy. A few solid upgrades, or a cost-controlled player like Berrios, would fit the bill better than a Story rental. He'd look good in that lineup, don't get me wrong, but the price has to be right, as he's having a down year to begin with.

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Why wouldn't you feel great about it? He goes to the best offense in the AL. 

For people in QS leagues that means nothing.  He also now faces the Red Sox and a Yankees lineup that just added Gallo and Rizzo.

Edited by ToO_BaD
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Why wouldn't you feel great about it? He goes to the best offense in the AL. 

Small home park. Now is divisional games are against the Yankees, Sox, and Rays...as opposed to the Tigers, Royals, and Indians. So maybe his wins increase, but so will his ERA and WHIP.