NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

If Marte gets moved what are the roster/lineup ramifications for the Marlins?  Cooper would be a nice add if he got full time ABs, but he's 1B/COF and not a CF'er, and I'm not sure if Jesus Sanchez can play center or not which would open up a corner spot.  

I've been hearing more and more about Rizzo getting dealt by the Cubs.  Would that open anything up fantasy wise?  One match mentioned was the Redsox.  That would certainly be good for Rizzo.

I'm curious what moves/trades would mean for newly created fantasy opportunities.   Trevor Story out in Colorado would be good for Brendan Rodgers for example.  He's playing more now but it would more than likely make it a legit everyday gig with a sweeter spot in the order.   

48 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Kris Bryant pulled mid-game for "hamstring fatigue"....hmm...that's a new one. No hugging in the dugout though, so probably a false alarm.

“Hamstring fatigue” is what you call a strain when you don’t want to lose trade value. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Kris Bryant pulled mid-game for "hamstring fatigue"....hmm...that's a new one. No hugging in the dugout though, so probably a false alarm.

I bet the Cubs love that he suddenly has "hamstring fatigue" while they are desperately trying to max his trade value right before the deadline.  Does he want out of Chicago asap or would he rather pull a last bit of revenge on them for the call-up issue back in his rookie year which apparently he will never get over.

3 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

If this goes down, what a GREAT grab for the Rays!

The market for Cruz was probably pretty limited, Tampa was likely bidding against Oakland.  And that might be it.  We will see what the return is for the Twins.

1 hour ago, CORTEz said:

Can we get a "hell yeah" for the Rays actually making a trade to make their team better?!?

As a fan of a team who could play the Rays in the playoffs, I say "hell nooooo".

Great move though!

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

As a fan of a team who could play the Rays in the playoffs, I say "hell nooooo".

Great move though!

Your move, Chicago. I really like Chicago’s chances this year but I hope they decide to be aggressive at the deadline. Fun fact: I’ve correctly bet decent sums of money on the World Series winners the last 2 years. This year I’ve put my money on the White Sox. I’d love to see them pick up a good outfielder (Starling Marte?) and a good 2nd baseman (Story, Escobar, or Frazier). 

Good move for the Rays as they needed that big bat.  Good get for Minnesota in Joe Ryan.  Now Cruz gets to be on a contender and Joe Ryan isn't both blocked and then stuck in the TB system of openers, bulkers, newtermers, etc etc and has a clear path to becoming a REAL starter very very soon.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Can we get a "hell yeah" for the Rays actually making a trade to make their team better?!?

Rays were in unique position compared to other teams with their arms in the farm system. Having McC, Baz, and Patino makes it easier. Ryan is most farm systems is a top 8 guy, so Kudos to the Twins. Rays went all in and have one of the top pens. If they can figure out their starting rotation there is no reason for a deep run.

Here is the info so far:

Robert Murray of FanSided reports that the Mets are close to acquiring Rich Hill from the Rays.

Well, that was fast. Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic and Anthony DiComo of MLB.com first connected the Hill-to-the-Mets dots and it looks like a deal is about done. Joel Sherman of the New York Post says the Rays will receive Tommy Hunter (back), who is out for the season, and catching prospect Matt Dyer. Hill has struggled a bit lately but overall is having a fine season, posting a 3.87 ERA, 1.16 WHIP and 91/36 K/BB ratio over 95 1/3 innings covering 19 starts. He'll provide some much-needed rotation depth for a Mets club which is dealing with a bevy of pitching injuries.

Source: Robert Murray on Twitter                 Jul 23, 2021, 12:40 PM ET

The Rays are so loaded with good pitching they can be in a serious playoffs chase and still trade away a starter.  Scary they are.

I imagine Hunter will receive his new TB cap via UPS if he is out for the season hah.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

43 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Here is the info so far:

The Rays are so loaded with good pitching they can be in a serious playoffs chase and still trade away a starter.  Scary they are.

I imagine Hunter will receive his new TB cap via UPS if he is out for the season hah.

What good starters are the Rays loaded with?

Just now, collucho said:

Bruh...

Just seems like the only reason the Rays would trade him is if they think he will turn into a total pumpkin. 11.5 IP post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. 

16 hours ago, meh2 said:

Your move, Chicago. I really like Chicago’s chances this year but I hope they decide to be aggressive at the deadline. Fun fact: I’ve correctly bet decent sums of money on the World Series winners the last 2 years. This year I’ve put my money on the White Sox. I’d love to see them pick up a good outfielder (Starling Marte?) and a good 2nd baseman (Story, Escobar, or Frazier). 

Yes they need to be aggressive. OF probably not an area of concern with Eloy close and hopefully Robert not far behind. 2B and a good RP would be really nice.

3 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Just seems like the only reason the Rays would trade him is if they think he will turn into a total pumpkin. 11.5 IP post was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. 

I'm in agreement! I was just taken aback when it clicked in my brain.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Yes they need to be aggressive. OF probably not an area of concern with Eloy close and hopefully Robert not far behind. 2B and a good RP would be really nice.

Escobar would make sense to me since he can play pretty much every infield position.

6 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

They know the dependency on the sticky stuff and you could see in the stats.

Might be true but they were able to get Rich Hill for a guy that is out for the rest of the season and a bottom tier prospect.   Rich Hill is probably due for a blister problem anyway but if he can give the Mets some innings until deGrom, Carrasco and Noah come back,  the cost was certainly cheap enough.

Rays were fine dumping the rest of his salary and giving some of their young guys an opportunity to step up.     

Tommy Hunter got his 1st and only career base hit just in time to mess up his back and miss the rest of the year. Now he gets traded as a salary dump, and who knows, maybe he relocates to Tampa at the expense of the Mets and gets a WS ring out of the deal without ever putting on the uniform. That would be sick.

• Haha 1