NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

7 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Might be true but they were able to get Rich Hill for a guy that is out for the rest of the season and a bottom tier prospect.   Rich Hill is probably due for a blister problem anyway but if he can give the Mets some innings until deGrom, Carrasco and Noah come back,  the cost was certainly cheap enough.

Rays were fine dumping the rest of his salary and giving some of their young guys an opportunity to step up.     

Right it's a decent risk for a pitching starved team like the Mets to take. 

19 hours ago, CORTEz said:

Can we get a "hell yeah" for the Rays actually making a trade to make their team better?!?

I feel like most of their trades have that effect.

5 minutes ago, BMcP said:

I feel like most of their trades have that effect.

I feel like they're usually trades that make them better in the long term whereas this was a short term boost.

Edit: Who knows though Nelson Cruz will probably be hitting 40 dingers for the Rays when he's 48 years old. 

Edited by collucho
  • Like 1

Some Yankee trade rumors as opposed to actual trades but food for thought according to our beloved Rotoworld Guy.  (He will never ever be NBC Edge Guy to me):

Brendan Kuty of NJ.com reports that the Yankees had discussions as recently as late Thursday night with the Marlins regarding a trade for Starling Marte.

Kuty says that the Yanks have also talked to the Twins about Max Kepler and the Rockies about Trevor Story. Marte looks like a shoo-in to be traded sometime over the next week after contract extension talks with the Marlins broke down. He would fill a big need for the Yankees in center field, although there will be plenty of interest in him from other suitors, as well. Kepler is a fit, as well, although he's under team control cheaply for several years so the asking price for him has been "exorbitant," per Kuty. Story would allow the Yanks to move Gleyber Torres to second base.

Source: NJ.com                Jul 23, 2021, 1:54 PM ET

Why the state of New Jersey is involved in speculating I don't know but I love that it is cited as the source.  Or that this Kuty guy secretly runs the state of New Jersey.  Anyway I didn't want to find out what the site actually is because I enjoy my fantasy of New Jersey knowing the inside dope on the Yankees first before anyone else.

12 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Some Yankee trade rumors as opposed to actual trades but food for thought according to our beloved Rotoworld Guy.  (He will never ever be NBC Edge Guy to me):

Why the state of New Jersey is involved in speculating I don't know but I love that it is cited as the source.  Or that this Kuty guy secretly runs the state of New Jersey.  Anyway I didn't want to find out what the site actually is because I enjoy my fantasy of New Jersey knowing the inside dope on the Yankees first before anyone else.

Media from all over the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) cover professional sports teams in New York on a regular basis.

It may be a surprise to some that the New York Giants and New York Jets play football in New Jersey at Met Life Stadium.

58 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Media from all over the tri-state area (NY, NJ, CT) cover professional sports teams in New York on a regular basis.

It may be a surprise to some that the New York Giants and New York Jets play football in New Jersey at Met Life Stadium.

Everyone knows they both play in Jersey.  And everyone knows the term "tri-state area" too.  I was going with the humor above.  Like it or not New Jersey is the punch line in many a joke.

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They called up Luis Patino last week and Shane Baz waits in the wings.

Right I understand they have young talent but is this what you want to get you through the playoffs?

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Everyone knows they both play in Jersey.  And everyone knows the term "tri-state area" too.  I was going with the humor above.  Like it or not New Jersey is the punch line in many a joke.

But according to Dennis and Sweet Dee, “MAGICAL” things happen under the boardwalk at the Jersey shore

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Being from NYC this is the reason I never watched the NFL. I didn't have a team to root for. Who, Buffalo? Nah.

13 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Yeah if they are good then absolutely.  And I certainly don't want old retread vets that can't hold a candle to the young pitchers.

Not saying hill was a substitute but quality insurance or could be used as an opener. 

Not sure how excited I would be having Fleming or Patino as my game 5 starter.

7 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Not saying hill was a substitute but quality insurance or could be used as an opener. 

Not sure how excited I would be having Fleming or Patino as my game 5 starter.

If you make the playoffs you go with a three man rotation.  Patino would most likely be in the bullpen then.  Though if Patino gets going and lives up to his projections he should probably be better than anyone else in the rotation other than Glasnow.

Now I don't know how fast he can grow into that tier but I obviously don't believe in "vet respect" junk either.  😏

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

If you make the playoffs you go with a three man rotation.  Patino would most likely be in the bullpen then.  Though if Patino gets going and lives up to his projections he should probably be better than anyone else in the rotation other than Glasnow.

Now I don't know how fast he can grow into that tier but I obviously don't believe in "vet respect" junk either.  😏

Current TB starting five:

Yarbrough

Fleming

Patino

McClanahan

Wacha 

With hopes of Glasnow returning and bring effective. 

Who's your big three for the playoffs?

Edited by 2ndCitySox

14 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Current TB starting five:

Yarbrough

Fleming

Patino

McClanahan

Wacha 

With hopes of Glasnow returning and bring effective. 

Who's your big three for the playoffs?

Glasnow

Mcclanahan

Yarbrough/Patino (maybe even Baz)

I think the Rays know you're not winning anything with Rich Hill starting playoff games for you (with all due respect to Rich Hill)

• Like 1

On 7/22/2021 at 6:55 PM, murraygd13 said:

The market for Cruz was probably pretty limited, Tampa was likely bidding against Oakland.  And that might be it.  We will see what the return is for the Twins.

Good call, this item confirmed as much, as well as the overall state of the A's payroll. I did not know they no longer received revenue sharing from MLB.

• Before the Rays traded for Nelson Cruz, the Athletics gave some consideration to acquiring the slugger themselves, Shayna Rubin of the Bay Area News Group writes.  The A’s seemingly didn’t get close to a move, however, due to both the financial and prospect cost attached to Cruz, and Rubin wonders if payroll concerns in particular will keep the Athletics from making any particularly big deadline splashes.  While spending is always an issue for the club, money could be tighter than ever now that the A’s no longer receive revenue-sharing money — as per the last collective bargaining agreement, the Athletics were gradually phased out of the league’s revenue-sharing plan over a multi-year period.  That said, Billy Beane and company have been adept at finding lower-cost help at past deadlines, such Oakland’s trade for Tommy La Stella last year.

There is also some chatter circulating around team extension discussions with Sandy Alcantara and Joey Gallo, each obviously has different implications. There is also question of where Jonathon Schoop might wind up. Although the White Sox are in the 2B market and have also been linked with Escobar, I think the Giants might want a MI upgrade until Crawford returns, and the Mets certainly with the injury to Lindor and McNeil's issues could be convinced to make a move. Either team might go small there for a short term boost until they get injured guys I mentioned, Tommy La Stella, etc., back.

After adding Hill, it feels like the Mets are good with rotation depth now. Tylor Megill has looked good, and deGrom and Carrasco are close to return, so even if Taijuan Walker's shoulder is an issue, they have some options with the addition of Dick Mountain and maybe Thor in another month. But the Phillies need help, for sure, after activating Chase Anderson today, and still running Moore, Howard and Velasquez out there recently. They seem sure to make a big splash, and needing bullpen help too, they've been tied to Kimbrel in recent days. I would be fine if they treated the Cubs as a one-stop shop and added Bryce's best buddy Bryant, Kimbrel, Davies and Chafin for a package around Alec Bohm and a prospect; doubtful they'll deal Abel or Painter, but maybe they're over Moniak, and he still was a #1 pick a few years ago. As for Bohm, I am somewhat down on him now, but I think his power would play up in Wrigley. Wishful thinking?

Edited by Richard Kimble

Well first the Padres used to have way too many outfielders.  Now it is middle infielders:

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that the Padres have agreed to a deal to acquire Adam Frazier from the Pirates.

It's unclear at this stage what the Pirates will be getting in return for the All-Star second baseman. Frazier was pulled from Sunday's game against the Giants in the eighth inning and was seen packing up his stuff, presumably after he had been informed of the deal. It's unclear exactly how he'll fit in on the Padres roster, as Jake Cronenworth has functioned as their primary second baseman this season, though both are versatile and can move all over the diamond. Stay tuned for more details.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                           Jul 25, 2021, 6:49 PM ET

Just not Cronenworth but but people forget Ha-Seong Kim who the Padres signed to a 5 year or rather 4 years with an option contract.  He hasn't gotten much playing time so no chance to get his timing down and hasn't been too effective when played which may be in part due to not enough regular playing time or, you know, he isn't ready for the Majors over here. 

I don't know how his contract is written as in if they can send him down but if not I wonder if he may be the get back for the Pirates.  He is only 25 and has 3 more years and an option year on his contract.  Seven million a year each of those years.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory