NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

4 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Frazier is likely the starting RF

Myers to the bench

Profar less playing time, plays 2B when Hosmer gets days off

great trade for the Padres

maybe Kim is going back to the Pirates?

I speculated Kim might be the one moved too but if so will SD have to cover part of his salary to make the trade happen?

Now watch it be someone else that gets shipped out, hah.  But Kim is only 25 and is under control for 3 years with a team option for the fourth.  If Pirates get a discount on the 7 mil  a year from SD that get would be a good one for the Pirates and Kim both.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

Seems kinda light for the Pirates to pull the trigger with 6 days left to go til the deadline.

Maybe they weren't getting any better offers? 

And agreed, none of those guys have MLB names. They sound mostly made up.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Another RUMOR only but looks lie Seattle wants to be buyers this season.

Mark Feinsand of MLB.com reports that the Mariners are making a push to acquire Whit Merrifield from the Royals.

The 32-year-old is under team control through the 2023 season and comes at a very reasonable cost for the next two years, which means that the Royals should net a nice return package if he is indeed dealt. He's hitting .272/.319/.402 with eight homers, 52 RBI and 25 stolen bases through 97 games this season.

Source: Mark Feinsand on Twitter              Jul 25, 2021, 7:04 PM ET

I know the Mariners are "contending" this season but they always manage to be the bridesmaid looking in at the playoff slots just missing the last opening each year they "contend" it seems.

Also there goes my theory the Pirates might have landed Kim.  And poor Kim.  Might as well get used to being a bench warmer for the rest of his time in SD.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

I know the Mariners are "contending" this season but they always manage to be the bridesmaid looking in at the playoff slots just missing the last opening each year they "contend" it seems.

This would fastback a Bobby Witt Jr. call up. It be wise to stash him in redrafts at this point. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also there goes my theory the Pirates might have landed Kim.  And poor Kim.  Might as well get used to being a bench warmer for the rest of his time in SD.

hopefully he gets regular ABs in AAA, maybe he becomes a trade candidate once he gets some more playing time

14 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Maybe they weren't getting any better offers? 

And agreed, none of those guys have MLB names. They sound mostly made up.

Who are 3 people who have never been in my kitchen?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I like that deal for both sides.

Tucupita Marcano was a good get for the Pirates. He's 21 with more BB than K at AAA. Plays 2B/OF, good speed, not much power... he basically projects as Adam Frazier down the road. The other two are meh.

Profar and Kim have been producing around replacement level, so Frazier is a significant upgrade. Marcano was very blocked, so the Padres didn't really give up anything they needed.

The Padres trade is a bit puzzling, at least for this season. If there was a bat in the Padres lineup that needs to be replaced its Hosmer, so I don't see why they traded for a 2b/outfielder? And why is everyone speculating Kim is getting traded or sent down? If Frazier is replacing anyone it's Profar. Kim's solid defense at both 3B, SS, and 2B is hard to replace, especially since defense hasn't been a strength of the Padres this year.

However, the the trade does make sense for next season. Pham wont be back, and Abrams injury has delayed his development, which means the Padres would have been in need of a LF next year. I assume that will be Frazier's job to lose.

Also the Padres still have a highly ranked prospect in Campusano, who they don't need, so I wouldn't be surprised if another trade happens.

38 minutes ago, Ixnue said:

The Padres trade is a bit puzzling, at least for this season. If there was a bat in the Padres lineup that needs to be replaced its Hosmer, so I don't see why they traded for a 2b/outfielder? And why is everyone speculating Kim is getting traded or sent down? If Frazier is replacing anyone it's Profar. Kim's solid defense at both 3B, SS, and 2B is hard to replace, especially since defense hasn't been a strength of the Padres this year.

However, the the trade does make sense for next season. Pham wont be back, and Abrams injury has delayed his development, which means the Padres would have been in need of a LF next year. I assume that will be Frazier's job to lose.

Also the Padres still have a highly ranked prospect in Campusano, who they don't need, so I wouldn't be surprised if another trade happens.

Cronen replaced hosmer 

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Hosmer? Are the Padres trying to tank their own deal?

Yeah that part makes no sense. The Nationals already have Corbin through 2024 and Strasburg until 2026, so they really shouldn’t be adding more bad contracts even if they get a better prospect return. 

5 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Yeah that part makes no sense. The Nationals already have Corbin through 2024 and Strasburg until 2026, so they really shouldn’t be adding more bad contracts even if they get a better prospect return. 

They also already have too many 1B as is. With that being said I would absolutely love Scherzer to the Padres.

Going to be living in this thread this week...gonna be an exciting one!

Edited by collucho

Do we think Tupa Marcano is going to get the full-time 2B job in Pittsburgh or will he go to AAA? I'm wondering for NL only if he's worth the stash, seems the PT should be there if he can perform. Anyone else in Pitt that stands to benefit from this and other moves? You have to expect more trades, Gregory Polanco seems all but certain to go, maybe Colin Moran, etc. 

"The Padres will also receive $1.4 million from the Pirates. "

I want to know how THIS conversation takes place in this trade scenario; its not like the NBA or NFL where this money counts at all towards an in-season budget. Its just penny-pinching between billionaires, like how does the deal hinge upon the amount that is like loose change to an MLB owner, and who even broaches that part of the deal? It has to be quite embarrassing for the execs, or quite underhanded, something they would do to get a bonus (kickback) or just to prove something about their negotiating skills. This isn't like the Rockies paying $50 million on Nolan Arenado's deal in the winter. Honestly, good for them to make that skinflint Pirates owner pay something to give away a starting all-star second baseman.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

could be luxury tax stuff idk

makes me think that they will be taking on Scherzer's contract

Possible, but baseball owners have squabbled with one another over little bits of money in player contracts like this for eternity, so even if they weren't near the threshold (have no idea really about payrolls currently, reports were off last year and I haven't bothered to catch up on it) they would still ask for the money b/c they can. I actually need to research a few things regarding payrolls, I didn't realize some small market teams like the Pirates were phased out of revenue sharing, for example.

Yes, I agree the Padres have other dominoes ready to fall. The offer published for Scherzer seems light, but they can get there and its the kind of move that wins divisions. They are behind 2 teams but probably sense an opening with the Dodgers injury woes, and maybe they have more H2H games with the Giants to make it up? They're certainly going all-in, we already knew that before the Frazier trade.