NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

18 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/padres-discussing-eric-hosmer-trades.html

Haha I bet they are!

Padres: "Hello I'd like to talk to you about an exciting Eric Hosmer opportunity".

Anyone: *click*

Interesting read though, it does break down the luxury tax situation and why they asked for that cash in the Frazier deal; its about losing two potential draft picks if they are over the threshold. I wanted to puke when seeing the Cubs mentioned as a speculative endpoint for Hosmer, right next to such world beating franchises as KC, DET and BAL 🙄

53 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Interesting read though, it does break down the luxury tax situation and why they asked for that cash in the Frazier deal; its about losing two potential draft picks if they are over the threshold. I wanted to puke when seeing the Cubs mentioned as a speculative endpoint for Hosmer, right next to such world beating franchises as KC, DET and BAL 🙄

Yah it’s a way for those teams to get an extra player or two. They would basically be eating hosmers contract to get someone like Hassell who looks legit AF

Yeah but I say take Baltimore out of this Hosmer equation. They still have 1 year of Chris Davis on the books. I said before they wouldn't move Mancini at the deadline and I stand by it, not after his HR derby performance, and moments like this:

I remember questioning the Hosmer deal when they made it.  The vast majority of these big deals for decent players end up being regrettable.  Hosmer was a nice player, but he was never worth $144m.  

The Hosmer deal was somewhat front loaded.  He has 4 years & $60m left on his 8 year $144m contract,the $$ breakdown goes:

$21m per years 1 thru 5

$13m per years 6 thru 8

He's a $15m per year player for any team that's willing to acquires him.  I'd imagine the prospect cost to the taker would be steep. 

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

I remember questioning the Hosmer deal when they made it.  The vast majority of these big deals for decent players end up being regrettable.  Hosmer was a nice player, but he was never worth $144m.  

The Hosmer deal was somewhat front loaded.  He has 4 years & $60m left on his 8 year $144m contract,the $$ breakdown goes:

$21m per years 1 thru 5

$13m per years 6 thru 8

He's a $15m per year player for any team that's willing to acquires him.  I'd imagine the prospect cost to the taker would be steep. 

Hosmer will be 32 this offseason. Aside from the shortened season last year, he’s been a below average hitter in 3 of the last 4 years while defensive metrics say he’s a pretty terrible defensive first baseman. If he were a free agent this offseason I legitimately believe he’d struggle to get a 2 year deal and most likely would end up settling for a 1 year deal for $5-10 million. Even with the front loaded aspects of his deal, it’s an albatross contract any way you slice it and AJ Prellar would instantly become the best GM (or whatever title he’s got these days) in baseball if he were to find someone dumb enough to take him off SD’s hands.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Hosmer will be 32 this offseason. Aside from the shortened season last year, he’s been a below average hitter in 3 of the last 4 years while defensive metrics say he’s a pretty terrible defensive first baseman. If he were a free agent this offseason I legitimately believe he’d struggle to get a 2 year deal and most likely would end up settling for a 1 year deal for $5-10 million. Even with the front loaded aspects of his deal, it’s an albatross contract any way you slice it and AJ Prellar would instantly become the best GM (or whatever title he’s got these days) in baseball if he were to find someone dumb enough to take him off SD’s hands.

he found a sucker to take James Shields, and give them Tatis

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Oh no doubt the contract is terrible and the player mediocre.  For the right price someone would take the money off the Padres hands.   If the Padres were willing to include Gore in a deal I'm sure a number of teams would listen.  If the Padres really want it gone, they'll have to pay dearly is the point. 

I'm not sure how the inclusion of cash in these deals affects the tax, but if the Padres paid some of the $$, and tossed in some good prospects, a rebuilding team might consider it.  If you make Hosmer a $5-10m dollar player for the acquiring team and toss in one/some of these guys, I could see a team like the Orioles, Pitt, KC, Det, etc. whose window to compete is a couple of years away.  The acquiring team would simply be buying prospects.  Some owners might prefer saving the cash of course, but if you want to build a winner controllable talent goes a long way. 

MacKenzie Gore

CJ Abrams

Luis Campusano 

Robert Hassell

Ryan Weathers

Tucupita Marcano (traded already)

Reggie Lawson

Justin Lange

Tirso Ornelas

Joshua Mears

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/nationals-trade-deadline-rumors-trea-turner.html

Now that is interesting! Could be nice depth for the Padres.

I was thinking why not

Turner in cf. Grisham to rf. Myers 4th of

scherzer on the hill. As a padre fan I gladly give them gore Hassell and campusano

also hearing Gallo to Padres for hosmer and prospects may be close

1 hour ago, Golden Spikes said:

I was thinking why not

scherzer on the hill. As a padre fan I gladly give them gore Hassell and campusano

In the sports world there's a phrase when a guy is hot that he is "putting up video game numbers."  I enjoy the Padres front office because they are always making "video game deals."  The types of trades, signings, etc. where you just try to make a super team, they do in real life it's very refreshing to see.  If you have a stud on the market, they will go for them.  

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Golden Spikes said:

I was thinking why not

No matter what, the Padres keep the off-season and trade deadline fun.

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

something tells me that max isnt above telling cash to go f--- himself

image.png.9bce9961438312bb15e6ea66ee2251f3.png

Seems like that "go f--- yourself" would happen over the phone when Kevin Cash calls to inquire.

22 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Ugh. I'll puke.

In a scenario like this, I would also guess Rizzo goes home to where he was drafted. I don't know why the Cubs would keep two 1B on their roster.

When Hoyer referred to this upcoming process as more of what the The Yankees and Dodgers did as opposed to a rebuild, I laughed. If his idea of this is moving a guy who has struggled knowing he's an impending FA (after receiving a laughing stock contract extension offer before the year began) to fill the void with one of the worst defenders in the league (people probably don't appreciate how much Rizzo can bring at 1B, especially with a guy like Javy playing the middle infield)... yeah, that's what the Yankees and Dodgers did!

It would be intriguing if they got a top prospect back with it all, but I don't want to watch 3 o 4 more years of Eric Hosmer--not on the Cubs, not in general. He seems like a guy who is almost all but out of juice. In a year or two, I think he'd be scratching for a minor league contract if he wasn't already locked up.

I do not want to have to stick him at 1B. If the rebuild is going to take the base of his contract... I still don't want him at 1B. He's out of gas. Short span this year where he played well... and earlier in the season. But he has aged and seen his skillset decline fast.

Edited by nlm

Jed Hoyer should be absolutely salivating right now. The Cubs have a huge amount of money available in 2022, so flex that big payroll, take on Hosmer and while I don't think Abrams is reasonable, Gore or Hassell certainly are. Then in the offseason get the comp pick for Rizzo and move on. They're not going to be competitive in 2022 so use some of those financial resources to bring in an impact prospect.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Jed Hoyer should be absolutely salivating right now. The Cubs have a huge amount of money available in 2022, so flex that big payroll, take on Hosmer and while I don't think Abrams is reasonable, Gore or Hassell certainly are. Then in the offseason get the comp pick for Rizzo and move on. They're not going to be competitive in 2022 so use some of those financial resources to bring in an impact prospect.

Here's something I've thought of, though...with Rizzo having a down year, is it out of the realm of possibility to think he might accept arbitration? I've said the only way Rizzo may return is if he ends up accepting arbitration, because his value has only gone down since the Cubs low-balled him. Now something 5 years, 80 million with incentives seems almost fair.

I guess I overreacted a bit on the idea, but I just do not like Eric Hosmer. Padres would have to take on chunks of that salary. Ownership has been and is being cheap. You don't trade Darvish as an off-season white-flag move unless it's a money situation (which it was, claimed due to losses from Covid). While they have a huge amount of money for 2022, and revenue that was lost from covid will be back to normal soon, I don't know if I trust the front office to spend money. I also get weary on what they're spending on--Heyward is making 22-23 mil until 2023. 

I think Bryant and Rizzo are likely as good as gone, but still kind of expect Baez to get re-signed. Maybe Hosmer as a placeholder wouldn't be so terrible, but it would be a little less tums-inducing if the Cubs had a 1B prospect in their minors, and they really don't right now. It was one thing when Bryan LaHair was holding down 1B until Rizzo was ready, but looking at the Hosmer contract, I would hope they could get something good back... and it would be nice to see them find a 1B or 3B prospect who is close to MLB-ready from any of these trades they may make. Patrick Wisdom isn't a long-term answer. He's not even much more than a stopgap.

Edited by nlm

It's not about Hosmer. Who cares what they do with Hosmer after the trade? It's about being able to buy a top shelf prospect with nothing other than money. The Cubs have the financial ability to take on a few bad contracts in exchange for premium talent in order to greatly speed up the rebuild. That's something a big market team should do, especially when they aren't going to be competitive in the very near future. 

8 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

It's not about Hosmer. Who cares what they do with Hosmer after the trade? It's about being able to buy a top shelf prospect with nothing other than money. The Cubs have the financial ability to take on a few bad contracts in exchange for premium talent in order to greatly speed up the rebuild. That's something a big market team should do, especially when they aren't going to be competitive in the very near future. 

I kind of care, because his defense is so bad it makes other infielders around him worse. Baez is saved by Rizzo a ton... their infield is going to be young no matter the case--Baez or not--and I just hope they would eat his contract or just move him elsewhere if it's a trade with the purpose of buying a prospect. Which I totally understand, but I am admittedly allowing my bias of my dislike for Hosmer to get in the way. I haven't thought much of Hosmer for awhile now, and at this point, he seems like a guy who could be DFA'd if he were in the last year of his contract. I don't know how much money San Diego would eat, but if they took enough off where the Cubs didn't have to pencil him in at 1B because he's making 15 mil (payroll doesn't ride the pine on that team...just ask Jason Hayward) and could instead just keep him benched or DFA him themselves....sure, go for it.

My only issue is with Hosmer. Never have liked him much as a player and always thought he was overvalued. I also look at the Cubs potential starting roster for next season, and remember they decided to give David Bote a big extension (which still makes no sense), so he'll likely be the 3B. Maybe Hosmer wouldn't be a big difference at 1B if the rest of their IF is trash. I guess I just don't want to see Baez self-destruct. Huge part of me that hopes he is re-signed in the off-season (assuming he isn't dealt this week) even if I'm completely unsure about it. 

Edited by nlm

Baez is going to remain past the deadline, and Bryant is as good as gone. Rizzo has a limited market, Boston rumors are heating up and that would be a great fit. In a perfect world, the Cubs would be willing to trade Rizzo, consider the extra $20 million or so in prospect value as money they can spend towards offering him a real contract in FA for $100 MM+. If they go up to $120 he'll sign to stay a Cub for life, and I would love that, the way Chapman re-signed with Yankees after the 2016 trade. Its wishful thinking for me. I still believe in Rizzo, he's going to be 32 but should remain a productive player for the next contract. I like him for the ROS too if you want to buy low now. 

• Like 1