Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

It's not about Hosmer. Who cares what they do with Hosmer after the trade? It's about being able to buy a top shelf prospect with nothing other than money. The Cubs have the financial ability to take on a few bad contracts in exchange for premium talent in order to greatly speed up the rebuild. That's something a big market team should do, especially when they aren't going to be competitive in the very near future. 

Its pretty clear this isn't a tear down rebuild. Really, the best trade asset they have is the Professor at his current value, and they aren't shopping him, so they plan to try to contend again after 2022. They have so much payroll flexibility, but you could argue the best route would still be to trade Contreras and Hendricks and the rest and aim for Trea Turner in 2022. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, nlm said:

they decided to give David Bote a big extension

That wasn't a huge extension, a lengthy deal for a role player no doubt that probably ties him to the roster, but he's not going to impact the budget. It was modeled after the Scott Kingery deal, which obviously is the worst scenario, but Bote is quite a bit better with the glove and bat. He's my Grandma's favorite player and I have to update her on everything he does 🙂

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Baez is going to remain past the deadline, and Bryant is as good as gone. Rizzo has a limited market, Boston rumors are heating up and that would be a great fit. In a perfect world, the Cubs would be willing to trade Rizzo, consider the extra $20 million or so in prospect value as money they can spend towards offering him a real contract in FA for $100 MM+. If they go up to $120 he'll sign to stay a Cub for life, and I would love that, the way Chapman re-signed with Yankees after the 2016 trade. Its wishful thinking for me. I still believe in Rizzo, he's going to be 32 but should remain a productive player for the next contract. I like him for the ROS too if you want to buy low now. 

 

Look at what Votto is doing this year. I think Rizzo can remain a productive player, too. I also considered buying low but doubt it can work in my main league. However, Rizzo, with a full off-season of rest and perhaps a real contract to play with, could be productive IMO. Like you said, he's only going to be 32. That's not a death sentence for 1B by any means. And he is a terrific defender still. I really am holding out hope he accepts arby or is able to work out a deal.

I do agree Boston would be a really nice landing spot for him, and they definitely need a 1B. Any word on names being tossed around as a potential return? I assume a pitcher who is MLB-ready like Tanner Houck is DEFINITELY off the table...do they have any prospects who are close to the big leagues that have been mentioned in a potential deal?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, nlm said:

 

Look at what Votto is doing this year. I think Rizzo can remain a productive player, too. I also considered buying low but doubt it can work in my main league. However, Rizzo, with a full off-season of rest and perhaps a real contract to play with, could be productive IMO. Like you said, he's only going to be 32. That's not a death sentence for 1B by any means. And he is a terrific defender still. I really am holding out hope he accepts arby or is able to work out a deal.

I do agree Boston would be a really nice landing spot for him, and they definitely need a 1B. Any word on names being tossed around as a potential return? I assume a pitcher who is MLB-ready like Tanner Houck is DEFINITELY off the table...do they have any prospects who are close to the big leagues that have been mentioned in a potential deal?

Casas and Downs are within 2 years, if not next. I doubt the Sox are going to part with Casas

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No names have come out in any reports I've read on Rizzo to Boston, and I wouldn't expect a great return. I will be interested in seeing what that OF kid we got from Oakland can do later this year. He sounds like a good (70 grade) power hitter who's had some injuries (hamate, shoulder), allowing them to get him cheap. The Cubs could conceivably get a return as good as Houck if they dealt Kimbrel along with Rizzo, but otherwise, nah. We won't get Durran or Casas or Downs in a million years either.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Rizzo doesn't have the value to bring back a good prospect near major league ready. Rather than go for a very meh major league ready guy, they'd be better off going younger and aiming for upside. I wonder if Nick Yorke would be possible if the Cubs added something. Supposedly Hoyer was considering taking him in the draft before taking Ed Howard.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

That wasn't a huge extension, a lengthy deal for a role player no doubt that probably ties him to the roster, but he's not going to impact the budget. It was modeled after the Scott Kingery deal, which obviously is the worst scenario, but Bote is quite a bit better with the glove and bat. He's my Grandma's favorite player and I have to update her on everything he does 🙂

Haha, that's awesome. I know it wasn't huge, but I felt it unwarranted. I like Bote as a role player, but I don't think he was worth 26 million. Yeah, it was like Kingery's deal, and then I believe Fletcher had an extension worth slightly more modelled off of their deals (maybe not the same in length, though). In any case, Bote will likely be a starter at 3B and other spots next year. He's versatile and I like that, but so is Matt Duffy...and a lot of utility players in the league who sign on with minor league contracts.

My biggest fear with the Cubs is their ability (or inability) to groom prospects. They finally seemed to figure it out with the bunch of players who are in the rumor mill and won their World Series. They probably should have won two. But I digress. I worry about them developing young players...even during this run of success, they've had a LOT of players washup and washout. I worry a lot about prospects developing in their system... Adzolay has been nice--finally--but it feels like it took him a century to get to where he is now (which isn't even spectacular).  It also stings to know that guys like Eloy Jimenez and Dylan Cease could be on this team right now. And for a very mediocre return. The White Sox may have made one of the worst prospect trades ever in trading Tatis, but Eloy and Cease for Quintana was pretty brutal (for the Cubs) in hindsight.

I also gotta ask ya, Kimble... what do you think happens to the pen? Besides Kimbrel. I am going to assume Kimbrel gets dealt soon, but I've also pondered the possibility they keep him into the offseason and deal him then since he's under team control through next season. Not sure why they would, but I truly think he would have been dealt already. But my question was going to be whether or not you think the Cubs will deal other bullpen members... A lot of teams need setup men and people to fill the bridge. If the Cubs are going to completely tear down, you think they do it with the pen, too? Or do you think they try to keep the majority of the pen minus Kimbrel intact?

Edited by nlm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Rizzo doesn't have the value to bring back a good prospect near major league ready. Rather than go for a very meh major league ready guy, they'd be better off going younger and aiming for upside. I wonder if Nick Yorke would be possible if the Cubs added something. Supposedly Hoyer was considering taking him in the draft before taking Ed Howard.

 

That is a very interesting scenario...Cubs have setup men who have been fantastic this year. A guy like Chaffin or Tepera, maybe... I don't know. The Sox pen is pretty solid from the last time I looked, so I'm not even positive that a setup man would float their boat. But that's what I was just asking Kimble, if he thinks the pen is going to be dismantled. If it is, I wouldn't be surprised to see one player thrown in with Bryant, another thrown in with Rizzo, etc...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Nick Yorke sounds possible because he's blocked now with Marcelo Mayer in the mix along with Downs, Xander, etc.

I'm not seeing anyone else in the pen they can or would move, besides Kimbrel and Tepera. The other young guys they'll keep, if someone wants Rex Brothers they can have him but he's in that Joakim Soria class of throw-in/salary dump. He's gone the wrong way so assuming the top 2 guys are gone, I'd take a shot on Dillon Maples or Keegan Thompson (who probably gets starts in September when Tepera does NOT get traded, I'm feeling good that he stays on.)

BTW, quick hypothetical scenario, if you're in AL only and Rizzo gets traded into your league, he's an automatic all-in on FAAB bid right?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maples doesn't really have the makeup. He hit Edmundo Sosa in the head with a fastball last week and it was an ugly scene, predictably he was shook and lost his control (which he never had but it went from bad to dangerously bad) and was forced to stay out because of the 3-batter rule. That's actually all the reasoning needed for the automatic ejection if you hit a guy in the head; I would love to see that rule adopted. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Tepera is too much to add to Rizzo, but I could see like Dillon Maples. The ERA is flashy, the peripherals are kind of meh, but the stuff is unquestionably fantastic. 

How do you feel about Rex Brothers? Both of those guys have been kind of down on the pecking order in the Cubs' pen, and while some bad outings have brought Brothers' ERA up, it was a lot lower just a week or two ago...I swore. Looking at it now is psyching me out. Nonetheless, 39ip and 60k. His stuff is legit.

Note: I like Maples' stuff a good bit more. I've followed him a lot closer, though. Brothers washed out of COL after being drafted in 09 or 10 and I lose track of his path to the majors from there.

I just know they both have legitimate stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They're actually incredibly similar. Guys with top tier stuff who just can't harness it. If they were ever able to they'd both be premier relievers in the game. Instead they flash brilliance one outing and the next time out they're not within a foot of their target. If they ever ended up on a team like TB, they'd be a great speculative add.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Nick Yorke sounds possible because he's blocked now with Marcelo Mayer in the mix along with Downs, Xander, etc.

I'm not seeing anyone else in the pen they can or would move, besides Kimbrel and Tepera. The other young guys they'll keep, if someone wants Rex Brothers they can have him but he's in that Joakim Soria class of throw-in/salary dump. He's gone the wrong way so assuming the top 2 guys are gone, I'd take a shot on Dillon Maples or Keegan Thompson (who probably gets starts in September when Tepera does NOT get traded, I'm feeling good that he stays on.)

BTW, quick hypothetical scenario, if you're in AL only and Rizzo gets traded into your league, he's an automatic all-in on FAAB bid right?

All-in? Depends on who you have at first base. I threw ridiculous money at Touki after dropping him after a start as a then-stream vs. the Padres. Dropped him the day before his start. When I went to re-add him on waivers, turns out I was the only person bidding on Touki. Wasted a chunk of FAB for nothing (and he could revert back into a human walk machine). I would taper expectations and be careful spending too much... But my thinking in this was: it's almost the end of the season and if you take the risk, you might get a fresh impact arm (without an IP limit or restrictions) the rest of the way rather than hoard your money for something that may never even hit the wire. In the same hypothetical sense, Rizzo could be an impact bat if he gets a fresh start in the AL, can DH when he is sore, etc. and he may end up being the best player to hit your wire for the ROS. So it's really more about your league's setup, how many teams, your current FAB limit and the league's initial total allotment... If it's a shallow AL-only, I wouldn't drop everything I have to spend on him. Depends a lot on the league settings. 

Edited by nlm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tryptamine said:

They're actually incredibly similar. Guys with top tier stuff who just can't harness it. 

 

Yeah, just about my thoughts exactly. Nailed it. 

Tampa would be an interesting spot... but I can't even recall the last time they traded with the Cubs. Fred McGriff? (Being serious!)

A team that has worked some wonders with pitchers is the White Sox. I guess their pitching coach, Ethan Katz, is a bit of a new-wave type of coach (which is hilarious, because he's coaching under LaRussa). If that's a way to describe him, anyway. He seems to have unlocked stuff that others could not. I know the Cubs and Sox don't trade a lot (and honestly, I'd be fine if they never traded again after the last one), but if Maples or Brothers got over there, I think they might figure something out... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Tryptamine said:

Rizzo doesn't have the value to bring back a good prospect near major league ready. Rather than go for a very meh major league ready guy, they'd be better off going younger and aiming for upside. I wonder if Nick Yorke would be possible if the Cubs added something. Supposedly Hoyer was considering taking him in the draft before taking Ed Howard.

I just hope the Red Sox pass on a Rizzo 2 month rental.  Don't see the need for two months of a fading quickly vet who has shown no power all year until the last week when he managed two more. 

They already have 6 or 7 people they can play at 1B.  Just play the hot hand.  Despite his trouble against righties, Dalbec is fine against lefties and has proven an excellent defensive 1B too.  He gets put into games in the late innings he doesn't start with the Sox ahead for his D and pulled for a pinch hitter when behind.  Works just fine.  Once Arroyo comes back, Kike could see more time at 1B.  They are trying out both Chavis and Franchy right now at 1B and utility clones Santana and Marwin play 1B just fine.

Only Kike is a plus hitter of the bunch so far but Rizzo hasn't been all that this year either.  And the 1B spot hasn't cost the Sox games this year.  However Ottavino melting down more and more as the main set-up guy is a definite problem.  Pitching is the most important thing as always.

And Casas and Downs and now Marcelo aren't going anywhere or if so there will be rioting in the streets of Beantown.  But the front office said they aren't trading away their major farm prospects period and they better stick to that promise.

This isn't a franchise who hasn't won in a generation and is starving for a ring.  This is a franchise where the fans expect a contender year in and year out and they want a lasting, sustainable dynasty over a short term sprint to one year's finish.  There has been zero calls from fans to go out and sell the farm for some aging vet that might or might not help them short term.  People here see these prospects as the next generation core and want the team to keep them.

Again, it is always about the pitching depth 99% of the time for 99% of the teams.  Always has been.  Always will be.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, nlm said:

All-in? Depends on who you have at first base

I disagree and this isn't a bench-coach situation, although I am thinking of a specific league where it would be incredibly obvious since it includes OBP. The strategy in an AL or NL only league, at this time, is to use a #1 claim or put in the winning bid on a player like Rizzo the moment it happens. Even if 1B is covered, if you have a way to get him in the lineup everyday, you take the chance. There's no guarantee of Bryant or Marte or Scherzer switching leagues, so you go in on Rizzo. Of course timing is very key, in some leagues there is a 3 day wait; this gives you time to see if another trade happens. In some leagues, however, there is a 24 or 48 hour clock. Many leagues will also have FAAB hoarders who have no choice but to spend the money, and it plays out almost like a bid on final Price is Right!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Coincidentally Steve Adams wrote an excellent list of top 60 trade candidates; it is lengthy but its full of good analysis. He ranked Rizzo 32nd and that seems about right, its not a highly likely trade, but I do think the impact would be large. BatTheory is right the Red Sox shouldn't go after him, but they will have to make some kind of move to shore things up and satisfy the fanbase. For them, getting a healthy Sale back will be better than any trade they can make.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/top-60-mlb-trade-candidates-trade-deadlnie.html

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Coincidentally Steve Adams wrote an excellent list of top 60 trade candidates; it is lengthy but its full of good analysis. He ranked Rizzo 32nd and that seems about right, its not a highly likely trade, but I do think the impact would be large. BatTheory is right the Red Sox shouldn't go after him, but they will have to make some kind of move to shore things up and satisfy the fanbase. For them, getting a healthy Sale back will be better than any trade they can make.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2021/07/top-60-mlb-trade-candidates-trade-deadlnie.html

The don't need to "shore up the fan base."  This is New England.  They know the big "get" for this team will be Sale.  They could however anger their fans by trading away prospects though.

Triston Casas should be their long term 1B and eventually DH when JD's contract is up.  So yeah they would be willing to trade maybe Franchy or Chavis or even Dalbec if they can land a crucial arm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The don't need to "shore up the fan base."  This is New England.  They know the big "get" for this team will be Sale.  They could however anger their fans by trading away prospects though.

Triston Casas should be their long term 1B and eventually DH when JD's contract is up.  So yeah they would be willing to trade maybe Franchy or Chavis or even Dalbec if they can land a crucial arm.

I thought Dalbec was the first baseman of the future and should be hitting fourth, not eighth or lower...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The don't need to "shore up the fan base." 

How you can confuse the two separate statements, shore things up and please the fan base, I don't understand, even when they were uttered in the same breath. The reality of being the Red Sox and Yankees, in this universe, if they are in contention at the deadline, they have to buy.

You can defend Dalbec all you want but he's cooked, he's had a chance this year and hasn't distinguished himself enough to keep the job for the playoff run. They also need another starter, even with the return of Sale and possible emergence of Houck. I know you understand these things, like I'm a Cubs fan and I understand the franchise is guided by certain principles too. This current regime is trying to go the route they went down in TB, but they have the bigger budget and added pressure that will allow them pull off something of substance. You claim you don't want Rizzo, but if they made the move, you'd be saying "I like that it stabilizes the lineup like the Nelson Cruz trade" which is exactly what a bat like his would do. Make everyone else better and improve the position.

Its nice to know reinforcements are on the way if you're a Red Sox fan. If they have to pay a decent prospect price, the average fan won't care much at all. Prospects are prospects; a guy on a fantasy forum might care about Casas or Downs, the average Joe schmo Red Sox fan doesn't care beyond winning this year and his next Sam Adams. As to your implication that Boston/New England fans are smarter than the rest of the nation...what's that about Chowderhead?😉 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...