Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

... You claim you don't want Rizzo, but if they made the move, you'd be saying "I like that it stabilizes the lineup like the Nelson Cruz trade" ...

Its nice to know reinforcements are on the way if you're a Red Sox fan. If they have to pay a decent prospect price, the average fan won't care much at all. Prospects are prospects; a guy on a fantasy forum might care about Casas or Downs, the average Joe schmo Red Sox fan doesn't care beyond winning this year and his next Sam Adams. As to your implication that Boston/New England fans are smarter than the rest of the nation...what's that about Chowderhead?😉 🙄

One, no I never ever would say that.  I do NOT want Rizzo as a rental.  Period.  I I would NOT change  my mind if they made a God-awful trade to get him.  Don't put words in my mouth.

And Red Sox fans are even more crazy over Casas than even they are over Duran.  Also Downs though Casas is the BIG deal among fans here.  Even fans that drink booze.  Prospects ARE a big deal here.  Maybe not in your Chicago but here they very much are.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

One, no I never ever would say that.  I do NOT want Rizzo as a rental.  Period.  I I would NOT change  my mind if they made a God-awful trade to get him.  Don't put words in my mouth.

And Red Sox fans are even more crazy over Casas than even they are over Duran.  Also Downs though Casas is the BIG deal among fans here.  Even fans that drink booze.  Prospects ARE a big deal here.  Maybe not in your Chicago but here they very much are.

LOL fair enough, anyway I don't live in Chicago anymore. You're correct that those 3 have been touted to the fanbase, but most of them don't care about Yorke anymore. There is always a guy that the fanbase doesn't love as much that can be traded away. You're missing my point, when you have a chance to win a title, you go for it; if they add a guy like Rizzo, you have to get on board as a fan. You think I wanted domestic abuser Aroldis Chapman in 2016? He was the key piece they needed. Rizzo's not as perfect of a fit, but as I said, for the same reason the Nelson Cruz deal helps TB, he would definitely make them a better team in the playoffs. If the price is less than the 3 prospects we're discussing, they will consider paying it if nothing better emerges. As I said, the correct move for them is to insist upon Kimbrel and sell the Cubs on Franchy, Yorke and some young arms. BTW you made your feelings on Rizzo clear, but how do Red Sox fans think of a Kimbrel reunion? Has to be appealing, no?

Edited by Richard Kimble
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, collucho said:

@Richard KimbleI think the Sox fanbase is so hyped about these prospects this year because we're not used to having them. That's the case for me at least. BUT! I will say I wouldn't be as excited if I wasn't active on this forum or if @The Big Bat Theorywasn't active on this forum to educate me with their promise/abilities. 

Lol I just posted in the Red Sox thread if you want to debate it over there and give this one some space, that is another point I would have added. It is unusual for the Red Sox to have exciting prospects, I can understand being protective of them!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

LOL fair enough, anyway I don't live in Chicago anymore. You're correct that those 3 have been touted to the fanbase, but most of them don't care about Yorke anymore. There is always a guy that the fanbase doesn't love as much that can be traded away. You're missing my point, when you have a chance to win a title, you go for it; if they add a guy like Rizzo, you have to get on board as a fan. You think I wanted domestic abuser Aroldis Chapman in 2016? He was the key piece they needed. Rizzo's not as perfect of a fit, but as I said, for the same reason the Nelson Cruz deal helps TB, he would definitely make them a better team in the playoffs. If the price is less than the 3 prospects we're discussing, they will consider paying it if nothing better emerges. As I said, the correct move for them is to insist upon Kimbrel and sell the Cubs on Franchy, Yorke and some young arms. BTW you made your feelings on Rizzo clear, but how do Red Sox fans think of a Kimbrel reunion? Has to be appealing, no?

 

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I don't feel like Kimbrel makes tons of sense for them right now. I don't think there's anything wrong with Barnes. 

 

Dominoes starting to fall in Chicago's bullpen though...I didn't notice Chafin had been traded. I really think if Kimbrel goes, there's a decent chance Tepera is on the way out, too (if you can get some value for him, you might as well...Maples & Brothers could both be in a committee by closer maybe). A guy like Tepera makes more sense for the Red Sox than replacing Barnes right now IMO. 

Edited by nlm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, nlm said:

 

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I don't feel like Kimbrel makes tons of sense for them right now. I don't think there's anything wrong with Barnes. 

Dominoes starting to fall in Chicago's bullpen though...I didn't notice Chafin had been traded. I really think if Kimbrel goes, there's a decent chance Tepera is on the way out, too. A guy like Tepera makes more sense for the Red Sox than replacing Barnes right now IMO. 

Yeah I agree, was debating this point in the Red Sox thread. But, you also keep Kimbrel out of the hands of a rival like Houston. Remember when the Yankees had both Chapman and Andrew Miller on the block in 2016; Cleveland and Chicago landed them and met in the WS. Kimbrel and Tepera aren't on that level, but as a narrative, Kimbrel returning to Boston is an easy sell. Do they make the smart play, or the big flashy one? It'll be telling what this front office does at this moment, because the temptation to pull off a blockbuster has to be there. Maybe we're all just speculating for nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Yeah I agree, was debating this point in the Red Sox thread. But, you also keep Kimbrel out of the hands of a rival like Houston. Remember when the Yankees had both Chapman and Andrew Miller on the block in 2016; Cleveland and Chicago landed them and met in the WS. Kimbrel and Tepera aren't on that level, but as a narrative, Kimbrel returning to Boston is an easy sell. Do they make the smart play, or the big flashy one? It'll be telling what this front office does at this moment, because the temptation to pull off a blockbuster has to be there. Maybe we're all just speculating for nothing. 

With Sale's likely return and Houck's emergence, you'd think I'd have faith in the Red Sox rotation, but I don't.

I still think they could use an upgrade there. They have no unquestioned ace. (While he's a bulldog and probably can get himself back to 80% this year, I don't think we'll see the best that Sale still has to offer until next season and that's assuming he stays healthy for the rest of this season.) Eovaldi? Nice season but do you trust him in game 2 in the playoffs? Pivetta? Total dice-roll despite the nice uptick in k's. Eduardo Rodriguez? I don't even know if he's pitching right now...Richards? Meh. I like Houck a lot, and do think he could be special for them. But he could also be used as bait if they decided to explore a Max Scherzer trade. I don't see why it hasn't been brought up yet. Even with Sale returning...it would still fill a need in a blockbuster fashion for that team.

I'll shield myself before the Boston fans throw rocks at me for suggesting Houck is dealt in a deal for Scherzer (or a rental).

Edited by nlm
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

With Sale's likely return and Houck's emergence, you'd think I'd have faith in the Red Sox rotation, but I don't.

I still think they could use an upgrade there. They have no unquestioned ace. Eovaldi? Nice season. Pivetta? Total dice-roll despite the nice uptick in k's. Eduardo Rodriguez? I don't even know if he's pitching right now...Richards? Meh. I like Houck a lot, and do think he could be special for them. But he could also be used as bait if they decided to explore a Max Scherzer trade. I don't see why it hasn't been brought up yet. Even with Sale returning...it would still fill a need for that team.

E-Rod had a migraine.  he is pitching now.  Also he has started to look like the old E-Rod ... finally.  Richards drives me crazy.  Pivetta is up and down.  Perez is an innings eater.  Houck is better than those three I think.  Enough to get to the playoffs.  Three pitchers start in the playoffs usually.  That would be Sale, Eovaldi and E-Rod at this point.

No way Max is coming to Boston.  From their end.  And from his end since he wants to go to the west coast.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

E-Rod had a migraine.  he is pitching now.  Also he has started to look like the old E-Rod ... finally.  Richards drives me crazy.  Pivetta is up and down.  Perez is an innings eater.  Houck is better than those three I think.  Enough to get to the playoffs.  Three pitchers start in the playoffs usually.  That would be Sale, Eovaldi and E-Rod at this point.

No way Max is coming to Boston.  From their end.  And from his end since he wants to go to the west coast.

Oh yea, I forgot about the West Coast bit. That's code for "I want to play for the Dodgers" I think.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey @Richard Kimble, have you seen the size of the Greg Deichmann?! The guy looks like he ate Jim Thome for breakfast...

Some people on A's forums are saying stuff like "Max Muncy 2.0" re: this guy. For Chafin, it seems like an interesting return. Pitcher can touch 99mph too (but he's underdeveloped at 21--also is a stringbean, 160lbs if his page is accurate) and has a curve that could develop. He really hasn't pitched in the minors much at all. Lotto ticket.


I'll be curious how well Chafin pitches in the AL--and in that division down the stretch. He was a great fill for a minute. And his mustache should fit in well in Oakland. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Can someone explain this Astros Ms trade to me? Graveman has been great this year and Toro sucks?? Sure he's raked in the minors but they couldn't have gotten a better return?

Toro has been doing better recently.  And Paul Sewald has been getting Saves lately in Seattle. 

Granted having both Sewald and Graveman in the bullpen makes sense for a team competing so that bit is puzzling. 

But then Seattle's front office makes moves that puzzle since the times of Heathcliff Slocomb.  A trade we Sox fan celebrate needlessly since it got us Jason Varitek and Derek Lowe and the end to the "Curse of the Bambino."

Oh wow the Trea thing is very interesting.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Toro has been doing better recently.  And Paul Sewald has been getting Saves lately in Seattle.  Granted having both Sewald and Graveman in the bullpen makes sense for a team competing so that bit is puzzling.

Its not like they can’t give it the ol’ college try without Graveman. Maybe they’re being realistic here dealing a guy that was playing out of his mind while there was a market for him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, collucho said:

Its not like they can’t give it the ol’ college try without Graveman. Maybe they’re being realistic here dealing a guy that was playing out of his mind while there was a market for him.

Great move by the Ms, absolutely cashing in on a good thing. BTW, I love that they're playing each other tonight! These are my favorites, when a reliever just switches jerseys and walks to the other clubhouse. He has to get a high leverage spot tonight against his teammates!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, stay_woke said:

Can someone explain this Astros Ms trade to me? Graveman has been great this year and Toro sucks?? Sure he's raked in the minors but they couldn't have gotten a better return?

Toro is under control for 5 more years, including 2 at the league minimum. They likely envision him as taking over for Kyle Seager, who’s a free agent at the end of the year and who also might get dealt this week if they find a taker. Graveman has been lights out but they control him for just 9 more weeks. I think Toro could be a 2-3 WAR 3rd baseman for them starting next year and I don’t believe they have anyone else in the pipeline ready to take over that position.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Toro is under control for 5 more years, including 2 at the league minimum. They likely envision him as taking over for Kyle Seager, who’s a free agent at the end of the year and who also might get dealt this week if they find a taker. Graveman has been lights out but they control him for just 9 more weeks. I think Toro could be a 2-3 WAR 3rd baseman for them starting next year and I don’t believe they have anyone else in the pipeline ready to take over that position.

Maybe, but he sure is looking like a quad A type. He turns 25 in off-season and is a career .193/.276/.350 guy in last 3 years (300 plate appearances)...I would think that is why the SEA clubhouse is a bit salty...

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Maybe, but he sure is looking like a quad A type. He turns 25 in off-season and is a career .193/.276/.350 guy in last 3 years (300 plate appearances)...I would think that is why the SEA clubhouse is a bit salty...

What saltiness are you referring to, was there a tweet or interview? BTW...the Brewers clubhouse is looking COVID-prone, hope its not a big deal. I agree Toro is quad A type but he can have a sneaky good year if he's the everyday guy next year, like I don't know, say one Travis Shaw? Anyway, I expect Seager to go before the deadline, anyone want to guess where? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

What saltiness are you referring to, was there a tweet or interview? BTW...the Brewers clubhouse is looking COVID-prone, hope its not a big deal. I agree Toro is quad A type but he can have a sneaky good year if he's the everyday guy next year, like I don't know, say one Travis Shaw? Anyway, I expect Seager to go before the deadline, anyone want to guess where? 

Ryan Divish, long time M's beat guy reported the club-house was not at all happy when informed of the news...it is allover Twitter

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ST. STEVEN said:

Ryan Divish, long time M's beat guy reported the club-house was not at all happy when informed of the news...it is allover Twitter

Yeah I mean...from the standpoint of the team, they are scrapping and in the mix, so it has to feel like the front office is cutting them off without giving them a chance. Its the "right move" but you know, I wouldn't have minded seeing Seattle go all-in and try to win a wild card. They just aren't that kind of franchise sadly. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...