NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 In-Season MLB Trade Rumor and Deal Thread

12 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Maybe, but he sure is looking like a quad A type. He turns 25 in off-season and is a career .193/.276/.350 guy in last 3 years (300 plate appearances)...I would think that is why the SEA clubhouse is a bit salty...

Yeah, I agree it’s a little strange but he’s only 24 and his 300 plate appearances have been pretty sporadic. Here’s a thought, maybe they’re going to flip him to the Royals for Merrifield? He seems like a Dayton Moore kinda guy.

Well nothing happening for real yet so how about the latest rumor posted by our beloved Mr Rotoworld Blurb Guy:

MLB.com's Jon Morosi reports that the Giants have spoken to the Cubs about a Kris Bryant trade.

Morosi adds that the Cubs are "evaluating" top catching prospect Joey Bart "as one candidate to be requested on their side of the talks." There really could be a match here, though Morosi notes Chicago would probably have to throw in another piece to pluck Bart away for a rental. Bryant, an impending free agent, entered play on Tuesday slashing .269/.356/.500 with 17 home runs and 50 RBI in 91 games this season. He's appeared at third base, first base, and all across the outfield for Chicago in 2021.

Source: Jon Morosi on Twitter          Jul 27, 2021, 10:16 PM ET

If this happens and they do get Bart then Contreras will be moved asap by the Cubs while they can get something for him before the deadline.  But giving up Bart doesn't sound good for the Giants.  Posey isn't likely to have many more years he has had this season.  He will be 35 which, unless you are named Yadier, is like ancient for a catcher.

As a Bryant owner in one dynasty league I am not thrilled with SF being a pitchers park but it is only until the end of this season I guess.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

15 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well nothing happening for real yet so how about the latest rumor posted by our beloved Mr Rotoworld Blurb Guy:

If this happens and they do get Bart then Contreras will be moved asap by the Cubs while they can get something for him before the deadline.  But giving up Bart doesn't sound good for the Giants.  Posey isn't likely to have many more years he has had this season.  He will be 35 which, unless you are named Yadier, is like ancient for a catcher.

As a Bryant owner in one dynasty league I am not thrilled with SF being a pitchers park but it is only until the end of this season I guess.

I agree it seems unlikely that Bart would be available, but I do expect a splash from the Giants. I have maintained that the team that gets Bryant is going to look hard at signing him, and the Giants have the money to do it. You're spot on about the rest as well.

Mariners front office keeps confusing their own players.   I imagine they are now saying to themselves that the front office is still going for it but with Toro as a bench bat for rest of season.  Or is this pick-up more about next year?   Inquiring Mariner players want to know.

ESPN's Jeff Passan reports that the Mariners are finalizing a trade for Pirates starter Tyler Anderson.

And last blurb on Tyler Anderson said Mets were hoping to dash in and steal him from the Phils who almost traded for him.  Is he that much of a game changer?

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Giants said a big old no to trading Joey Bart away. 

Meanwhile a weird trade has occurred:

Reds acquired LHP Luis Cessa and LHP Justin Wilson from the Yankees for a player to be named later.

The news was announced by the Yankees' official Twitter account late Tuesday night. Cessa has posted a strong 2.82 ERA with 31 strikeouts in 38 1/3 innings this season and will give the Reds a nice upgrade in mid-to-long relief.

Jul 28, 2021, 12:37 AM ET

I have no idea why this trade happened.

6 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I have no idea why this trade happened.

The yanks wanted to clear a little money for the deadline. Around 4 million, not much, but gives them a bit more flexibility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, collucho said:

Starting to feel like this deadline is gonna pass and nothing will have happened. 

Can we please get some big boi trades today!?!?

I took off for the deadline, so i am hoping it is juicy as can be. Drinking my pabst and monitoring at will.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Mariners front office keeps confusing their own players.   I imagine they are now saying to themselves that the front office is still going for it but with Toro as a bench bat for rest of season.  Or is this pick-up more about next year?   Inquiring Mariner players want to know.

And last blurb on Tyler Anderson said Mets were hoping to dash in and steal him from the Phils who almost traded for him.  Is he that much of a game changer?

After the Graveman trade, Seattle GM Jerry diPoto addressed the media and flatly said that the trade, on paper, doesn't look good; he then referred to "a series of moves" that would take place in the next few days. The Anderson deal is the first sign, and it does look like diPoto will be wheeling and dealing. I think Kyle Seager is still going, and I am wondering if Whit Merrifield to Seattle rumors aren't actually a possibility. 2B is a gaping hole for them. I don't see them getting Trea Turner, but Merrifield would be a great fit for that ballclub, and it would be a way to dump Seager's salary, without completely pissing off either fanbase or clubhouse again. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

17 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

After the Graveman trade, Seattle GM Jerry diPoto addressed the media and flatly said that the trade, on paper, doesn't look good; he then referred to "a series of moves" that would take place in the next few days. The Anderson deal is the first sign, and it does look like diPoto will be wheeling and dealing. I think Kyle Seager is still going, and I am wondering if Whit Merrifield to Seattle rumors aren't actually a possibility. 2B is a gaping hole for them. I don't see them getting Trea Turner, but Merrifield would be a great fit for that ballclub, and it would be a way to dump Seager's salary, without completely pissing off either fanbase or clubhouse again. 

I don't think they are moving Seager without some incredibly heavy cash eating. His 15MM 2022 team option becomes a fully guaranteed player option IF traded. That is close to untenable, still DiPoto is as creative is any GM in the league--so maybe they find a way, just a multifaceted and complicated one to pull off.

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

I don't think they are moving Seager without some incredibly heavy cash eating. His 15MM 2022 team option becomes a fully guaranteed player option IF traded. That is close to untenable, still DiPoto is as creative is any GM in the league--so maybe they find a way, just a multifaceted and complicated one to pull off.

I fully expect Mariners to do something big - I think they acquired Toro to flip him - I think they end up getting Bryant and Kimbrel from the Cubs. They want to be competitive now.

2 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

I fully expect Mariners to do something big - I think they acquired Toro to flip him - I think they end up getting Bryant and Kimbrel from the Cubs. They want to be competitive now.

i will lay you 3-1 odds on a bet that they don't end up getting Bryant and Kimbrel....deal?

20 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

i will lay you 3-1 odds on a bet that they don't end up getting Bryant and Kimbrel....deal?

I would never bet on specific players like that - plus I don't bet on baseball. But if you told me Seattle was done trading I would be shocked - just not DiPoto's mo

15 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

S Marte close to heading to OAK according to reports.

Yes.

Craig Mish of SportsGrid reports that the Marlins are trading outfielder Starling Marte to Oakland.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic confirms that a deal is in place, and Jon Heyman of MLB Network hears that Jesus Luzardo is the return. Wow. This is a heck of a splash for the A's, who are currently six games back of the Astros for first place in the AL West standings and one game up on the Mariners for the second AL Wild Card spot. Marte, 32, has posted a shiny .306/.407/.453 batting line with seven home runs and 22 stolen bases over 63 games this season for Miami. He's scheduled to become a free agent in November.

Source: Craig Mish on Twitter             Jul 28, 2021, 1:04 PM ET