NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Zach Thompson 2021 Outlook

• tonycpsu changed the title to Zach Thompson 2021 Outlook

He's a very interesting guy to try and figure out. Spent the first few years in the minors as a starter, but was shifted to the pen in 2017 and spent the next two years there where he was fairly successful. The start he made June 7th for the Marlins was his first start in four years. 

FB at 92 that he locates pretty well, as he did with all of his pitches. Didn't see many times that the catcher had to move his glove a long way. Savant labeled his pitches as 28 fastballs and 3 sinkers, but he seems to have a few variants of his fastball as I saw some that were standard FB's, some that sank, and a few that had two seamer action on them. The cutter is the main attraction for him and it's getting fantastic results right now. Cutter resembles a high 80's slider and he had some that got really nice movement, but some that had a cement mixer look to them. The last of his main offerings is a high 70's CB that has really nice movement to it, and to borrow a phrase from @ST. STEVEN it fits very nicely in his velo spectrum with the FB 92/CT 87/CB 76. He sprinkles in a few change ups and the occasional  sinker. From what I saw the changup/sinker were reserved for lefties, but there were a few really nice changeups. 

As for his results last night, the first run should have been unearned(unlucky at the very least) as Sanchez whiffed on a line drive hit to left to score Turner from first. The second run was a little more legit, but an argument could be made that the play should've been made there as well to keep the run from scoring. He got two weak fly outs after the play, so he could have easily gotten away without giving up a run. Washington is middle of the league in K% so the 11K's is pretty impressive as this wasn't a gift from a Mariners-like lineup. He also didn't have a CSW lower than 33% on any of the five pitches he threw. 

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ObedientNiftyImago-mobile.mp4 Hopefully that link works, it's his cutter which made PL's nastiest pitches from Saturday. 

He obviously won't keep up the 12.5K/9 rate he's at, but with a 14% swing strike rate I think a K per inning or more is possible, and he should keep the walks down as I really like his command. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

It was a great start, but the nationals lineup is horrible lol.

worth an add to see what you have

Care to elaborate how a 95 wRC+ lineup with Trea Turner, Juan Soto, and the insanely hot Kyle Schwarber is "horrible"?

Horrible might have been a little harsh, but the Nats are about as average as you can get. Middle of the league in BB%/K%/wRC+/wOBA. Great pitching performances vs the Mariners or Pirates I usually discount, but I don't think the Nats are in that category. He faces Atlanta next so that will be a good test for Mr Thompson. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

He faces Atlanta next so that will be a good test for Mr Thompson. 

He did very well the 1st time against Atlanta 

I wonder if his 6’7’” height is playing up his velocity . His FB spin is high but velocity is low. More data needed for an accurate picture 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/zach-thompson-605507?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Uncle Charlie said:

He did very well the 1st time against Atlanta 

I wonder if his 6’7’” height is playing up his velocity . His FB spin is high but velocity is low. More data needed for an accurate picture 

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/zach-thompson-605507?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Interesting point. I see they show him with over 6 feet of extension on all of his pitches. I swear I've seen a leaderboard for that on savant but can't find it now. 

He looked good again today, he knows what he's doing out there, has a plan and executes it. Deserved the win today, bullpen blew a 4-run ninth inning lead. He'll get his share of QS's, but on that team wins will be hard to come by, especially after July 31.

11 minutes ago, SecondString38 said:

He looked good again today, he knows what he's doing out there, has a plan and executes it. Deserved the win today, bullpen blew a 4-run ninth inning lead. He'll get his share of QS's, but on that team wins will be hard to come by, especially after July 31.

What a disaster, it wasn't just the 'pen, they had 2nd and 3rd none out in the 7th and didn't score a run. Epic implosion cost our boy a W. Still, a nice follow up against a tough opponent, only gave up a two-run shot to Acuna Jr., hardly something to hang one's head over. 

• Like 1

Tomorrow ain't happening, Rogers is starting, neither is Sunday... Lopez.

Thompson gets a well deserved break through the break. Let's hope he returns fully healthy thereafter. That staff is a lot better than expected, could be primed for a nice 2nd half run..

6 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

Tomorrow ain't happening, Rogers is starting, neither is Sunday... Lopez.

Thompson gets a well deserved break through the break. Let's hope he returns fully healthy thereafter. That staff is a lot better than expected, could be primed for a nice 2nd half run..

Yeah I know it, I mean maybe he gets in there as a piggyback and gets a win? I'm leaving him in my lineups in case, these last games before the break are always funky.

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh, only threw 60 pitches over 4 innings today, before being lifted for a pinch-hitter with 2-men on, 2 out in the top half. Just an unfortunate circumstance for NL pitchers, but I'm holding on here, due to the fact that the Marlins need another stable arm now that Pablo Lopez hit the IL earlier today. I'm guessing Jordan Holloway gets Lopez's spot in the rotation, and hoping against hope that the Marlins can get some run support for Thompson next time out. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Is he going to start before the deadline or is he being held out due to trade discussions? I can't find any info on what's going on with him at the moment. He's still listed as the probably by ESPN for the next game against the Yankees, Gallo's first game.

Edited by Richard Kimble