NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Garrett Mitchell -OF/MIL

ST. STEVEN

Brewers top pick from last year (a steal) and their top overall prospect. I think they really want to hold onto him, as he could likely be their starting CF by early next year, but could also bring a star type of return. This system is rapidly improving and I am excited to see the FanGraphs write-up on this kid and the system coming this week. He was tearing up ST (30 ABs and hit .367 and slugged .570) and is now currently in High-A Appleton after being delayed a bit with a minor injury--in 22 games/67 ABs he is hitting .313/.495/.522 with a 24BB/23K ratio and 3HR/9SB.

Here is some of the Pipeline bio:

The Brewers were thrilled to land Mitchell, whom MLB Pipeline had ranked as the sixth-best 2020 Draft prospect, with the 20th overall pick, and they signed him for slot value. Big and strong, Mitchell is an easy plus runner who can steal bases and cover a ton of ground in center field, a premium position he'll be able to play long term. He featured perhaps the best collection of tools in the entire 2020 Draft class, and the Brewers believe he will be able to use those tools consistently in games.

I expect him to head to AA in next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

Agree.  The kid looks to have great speed, the question is whether or not he can tap into power.  Still, I think we are looking at kid that could be a 20hr-30sb type, if all breaks right.  If Milwaukee can improve his launch angle, sky is the limit.  Would like to also see him challenged at AA in the 2h.

Yes, great to see some power and as I mentioned above the 2H promotion.  If he can progress in AA, then I think we could be looking at a call-up at some point next season.  Keep it going kid!

I’m less excited than most.

He’s almost 23 and playing in High-A, and has a 25.2% K rate, 63.8% groundball rate, and .491 BABIP. Taylor Trammell is written off as a bust by many but he’s less than a year older with similar tools and is further along in his development. I’d rate the two about the same.

Mitchell is a good prospect but based on the hype level in this thread I would be looking to sell high. For a contending team he might bring back the missing piece that puts you over the top this year.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

I’m less excited than most.

He’s almost 23 and playing in High-A, and has a 25.2% K rate, 63.8% groundball rate, and .491 BABIP. Taylor Trammell is written off as a bust by many but he’s less than a year older with similar tools and is further along in his development. I’d rate the two about the same.

Mitchell is a good prospect but based on the hype level in this thread I would be looking to sell high. For a contending team he might bring back the missing piece that puts you over the top this year.

Well that's a fair criticism, but I think you are overlooking how well he looked in Spring Training against MLB arms.  

And I agree on the second point, more in the if you have a chance to win and Mitchell nets a nice return you make the deal. Flags fly forever. And more prospects bust then become stars.  Still, I think Mitchell has the potential to be a really nice power-speed guy provided the Brewers can get him to tap into his power.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1