NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jose Miranda - 1B/2B/3B Twins

BigPapi44

Gents,

Has been awhile since I've posted a guy that I'm on in every league, and so I present, Jose Miranda.  And it's his 23rd birthday today, so why not have a thread for him.  Miranda, 6'2 210lbs, was a CBB pick, 73rd overall, by the Twins back in '16'.  While he struggled in his GCL debut in '16, he hit admirably in 2017 and 2018 with a good walk to K ratio, but then seemed to struggle as a 20-21 year old in the FSL.  We know though what that league does to suppress power.  In 2020-early 2021, Miranda was able to play against some good competition in Winter Ball.  Entering 2021 fresh off his winter campaign, Miranda was assigned by the Twins to AA Wichita.  Miranda mashed at AA to a tune of .345avg/.408OBP/.588SLG with 13hr and 4sb in 196ABs, before being promoted to AAA yesterday.  Not only that, the kid at AA was asked to play all over the infield at 1B, 3B and 2B (almost 15 games at each position), even 2 games at SS.  That's not an easy ask for a kid to be moving around on a nearly game by game basis, yet still providing the offense that he has.  One caveat on the power, there was talk about not really knowing if the power breakout has been for real since the Wichita park is new to the League.  But, when you actually look at his splits, his SLG is higher on the road so I think that's an important point.  The power breakout does not seem to be 'park inflated'.   Miranda's got a great BB/K ratio and it seems that his power is emerging/for real.  I see he is already 2-2 with a HR (off Jakob Junis) in his AAA debut in St. Paul.  The Twins could really use a super utility type.  Donaldson can't stay on the field and Sano has been dreadful.  With a strong showing, Miranda may be a guy to watch as a call-up later this year.  If not, I would not be surprised to see him challenge for a spot out of Spring Training next year.  Stay tuned!

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, CORTEz said:

Any real chance we see him soon in the majors ? Or is 2022 more likely?

It's June, he is in Triple A, and he is mashing. I think there is a very real possibility we see him. He is hitting .396 since June 1st - if he continues hitting for 3-4 more weeks it might be hard to keep him in the minors.

• Like 1

Been wanting to make a post on Miranda for awhile! He’s been on of my favorites this year as far as pop-up prospects go. Mentioned him in the deep sleeper thread. He’s on a tear right now! And his strong contact rate with blossoming power is definitely something that could have him flying up lists this year if he keeps that production up! Or better yet maybe he’ll fly under the radar in regards to lists and we can all reap the rewards 😎. Proud to say I have 100% ownership in all my leagues. Awesome to see him producing at AAA immediately. He proved right away that his power is real and not just a benefactor of Wichita’s ballpark. Add add add! 

• 2 weeks later...

2-3 2B, HR 2BBs (HR off Brad Peacock).   Hitting .333, 426OBP, .667SLG so far through 13 games at AAA.  As the Twins continue to fall out of contention, wouldn't surprise me if they give him a cup of coffee later this year if he keeps this up.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

2-3 2B, HR 2BBs (HR off Brad Peacock).   Hitting .333, 426OBP, .667SLG so far through 13 games at AAA.  As the Twins continue to fall out of contention, wouldn't surprise me if they give him a cup of coffee later this year if he keeps this up.

Wouldn't the opposite happen?  You know, they would NOT want to start the clock on him.

7 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Wouldn't the opposite happen?  You know, they would NOT want to start the clock on him.

You would think. I’m wondering when teams are going to see the value of getting guys like this and their other top spects major league experience BEFORE they are contending so that they can get acclimated when they do indeed start to contend. 

21 minutes ago, Csiebert5 said:

I’m wondering when teams are going to see the value of getting guys like this and their other top spects major league experience BEFORE they are contending so that they can get acclimated when they do indeed start to contend. 

When a new CBA stops financially incentivizing holding top prospects down.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dark One said:

When a new CBA stops financially incentivizing holding top prospects down.

Yes, of course.. but I’m talking about even under the current CBA. I think the value of getting these prospects “feet wet” in the bigs is undervalued. Service clock or not. 

1 hour ago, Dirtywater97 said:

52 on Anderson's list 👀📈

Prob the analyst's prospect taste I most relate to. Nice to see confirmation.

who is Anderson and where can I catch a peek of his list?

10 hours ago, 5catstud said:

who is Anderson and where can I catch a peek of his list?

He's talking James Anderson at Rotowire - his top 400 prospect list was updated yesterday but it's behind a paywall.

3 hours ago, Dark One said:

Probably not - no real incentive to start his service time clock and they could roll with Sano/Kirilloff at 1B/3B for a couple of months to finish out a lost season.

He is killing triple A. Good chance he gets rewarded with at the very least a Sept callup.

4 minutes ago, corey_rideout said:

He is killing triple A. Good chance he gets rewarded with at the very least a Sept callup.

Indeed - he's raising his prospect stock on a daily basis, giving the organization even more of a financial incentive to not want to start his service time clock (it begins whenever they call him up, even if it's via the proverbial September cup off coffee when MLB active rosters expand to the 40-man).

I'd certainly love it personally if they called him up immediately after unloading Donaldson, that's for sure.

Interestingly enough, Kirilloff now may be out for the rest of the season with a wrist injury. That could certainly change things unless they have someone else they'd prefer to use to keep Miranda's seat warm in the interim.