NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

Sulser seems to be the O's guy, for now.  And from the news that shocks no one department:

Manager Brandon Hyde said following Wednesday's win over the Astros that Harvey is suffering from right shoulder discomfort, Rich Dubroff of BaltimoreBaseball.com reports.

Spin:Harvey last pitched Monday, allowing two runs on a hit and a walk across two-thirds of an inning. The right-hander figures to undergo tests before a full diagnosis is given and he can be considered day-to-day for the time being.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

all aboard the Sulser train?

He and Fry figure to be in a co-committee very similar to what we see with Cisnero and Soto in Detroit. I like both guys, honestly, as a decent source of Ws, ratios and Svs, with the obvious caveat that they are on terrible teams and could disappear for a week at a time. Sulser is a guy I've managed to vulture all 3 of his saves this year, and now I'm going to hang on as the Os have been playing a bit better lately.

Also, Steckenrider got the vulture for the Ms after Graveman had been used. I think Paul Sewald is the better pitcher and place to speculate on long term in case of a potential trade of Gravedigger, but admit for now "Sticky-Stecke" might be their new Montero (say his name)😈.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, collucho said:

Alex Reyes is 20 for 20 in save opportunities on the year. Without looking at the stats off the top of my head he is 0 for 6 in non save situations. Pretty funny.

I'm confused at what this means he's 20/20 in save opportunities but in 6 non save situations he was unable to get any saves?  Unless the joke is going over my head lol...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shypri said:

Any opinions on who would be next? Greene or Loaisiga? 

Green I'd think. They're not going to demote Chapman anytime soon, but they've been claiming for a little while that he has "fingernail" issues so a Disgraceful List stint wouldn't stun me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Green I'd think. They're not going to demote Chapman anytime soon, but they've been claiming for a little while that he has "fingernail" issues so a Disgraceful List stint wouldn't stun me.

I fully expect Chapman to be on the IL soon.

57 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I'm confused at what this means he's 20/20 in save opportunities but in 6 non save situations he was unable to get any saves?  Unless the joke is going over my head lol...

Sorry should have elaborated. Every time he has been brought in in a non save situation he has let up at least a run. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, collucho said:

Alex Reyes is 20 for 20 in save opportunities on the year. Without looking at the stats off the top of my head he is 0 for 6 in non save situations. Pretty funny.

33 minutes ago, collucho said:

Sorry should have elaborated. Every time he has been brought in in a non save situation he has let up at least a run. 

Eh not trying to go into this too much but that's not correct at all.  First he couldn't have given up runs in every one of 6 non-save situations because he's given up only 5 runs (4ER) this season. Also a quick look at his game log also goes against this.  Just this month 6/15 vs MIA (entered in 9th, 1-1 game, no runs allowed, got the win) and 6/12 vs CHC (entered in the 7th losing 7-2, no runs allowed).  He's just been straight up really good in all situations never allowing more than 1 in any game.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

Eh not trying to go into this too much but that's not correct at all.  First he couldn't have given up runs in every one of 6 non-save situations because he's given up only 5 runs (4ER) this season. Also a quick look at his game log also goes against this.  Just this month 6/15 vs MIA (entered in 9th, 1-1 game, no runs allowed, got the win) and 6/12 vs CHC (entered in the 7th losing 7-2, no runs allowed).  He's just been straight up really good in all situations never allowing more than 1 in any game.

Yeah that's why I said off of the top of my head without looking at the stats. Pretty certain all of the runs he has given up were in non save situations.  

I was going day by day on ESPN scores seeing who the last save opportunity went to after seeing Soria with the save. OMG this month has to be one of the worst stretches of losing that I have ever seen. I made it backwords to June 1st and said screw it. Closers on bad teams still get saves theory flew out the window hard.

• Haha 2

I don't really understand the decision making process, but Alvarado is coming in with 2 outs in the 8th and nobody on base despite Wheeler absolutely dominating. Weird they didn't let Zack finish the inning. He finished the inning with a fly out on the warning track but rain is starting to come down pretty hard so there's probably going to be a delay. Who knows if he stays out there once they come back.

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

I don't really understand the decision making process, but Alvarado is coming in with 2 outs in the 8th and nobody on base despite Wheeler absolutely dominating. Weird they didn't let Zack finish the inning. He finished the inning with a fly out on the warning track but rain is starting to come down pretty hard so there's probably going to be a delay. Who knows if he stays out there once they come back.

Joe "Con-arti" seems to have just decided to use Alvarado as a multi-inning closer to instill some confidence in him. Its an interesting decision, this is certainly an easy spot to deploy him with a 3 run lead. This is looking like a beast of an altogether different nature; perhaps Girardi thinks giving him longer outings is the best way to let him work through his control issues, and feel he has Joe's confidence. One thing about late-inning guys with this kind of experience, they can be fairly fickle, and need to have job security to pitch effectively when the scrutiny is on them. I give Con-Artist Joe credit for at least committing to the change, it seems Alvarado has the baton quite firmly.

• Like 1