Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread


Recommended Posts

Who are the guys we should target, monitor, or roster for the 2nd half?  

MIA - Anthony Bender

Seattle - Sewald

Cubs - Tapera/Chafin

Pitt - Crick/Bednar

Tex - Sporz

Wash - ???

Zona - Avoid

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Would you want to throw Chapman out in a closer role at this point?  Boone sure doesn't either.

Knowing Boone, I fully expect him to send Chapman out there first save chance after the break, but unless he somehow fixes his control, he'll implode again, and the Yankees are out of time to lose games and Boone is (hopefully) managing for his job. Green is a smart hold despite yesterday, and Loaisiga isn't the worst dart throw in the world.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Who are the guys we should target, monitor, or roster for the 2nd half?  

MIA - Anthony Bender

Seattle - Sewald

Cubs - Tapera/Chafin

Pitt - Crick/Bednar

Tex - Sporz

Wash - ???

Zona - Avoid

 

Texas, I'm thinking Spencer Patton will be the one to own

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Zona - Avoid

In regards to anyone besides Soria, yes, but if he's available over these stashes, he's the pick. There's no assurance he gets traded, so he could just keep the role all season. Baltimore is something I would completely avoid. Its the worst, even the DBacks are a better bet for saves. Fry and Sulser again pitched like the 5th and 6th inning the last game and gave up runs.

Again, reminder I put together the Bullpen Trade watch deadline edition (something like that) if you search for it and want to debate the stashes. Strong preference to Bednar over Crick, agree Patton>Rodriguez>Sborz in Texas. I think Hudson is still a good stash; the Nats still look like sellers to me despite a hot stretch, Hand has been chalking saves and he could tempt a contender to rent his services. Even if Hand doesn't move, Hudson is like Ottavino or Lugo, he'll get a few vulture saves anyway.

Edited by Richard Kimble
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, murraygd13 said:

Texas, I'm thinking Spencer Patton will be the one to own

Joely Rodriguez according to Closer Monkey. Patton has been better but is 33 with a terrible track record and will likely be traded.

Edited by Thenewwildone8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

In regards to anyone besides Soria, yes, but if he's available over these stashes, he's the pick. There's no assurance he gets traded, so he could just keep the role all season. Baltimore is something I would completely avoid. Its the worst, even the DBacks are a better bet for saves. Fry and Sulser again pitched like the 5th and 6th inning the last game and gave up runs.

Again, reminder I put together the Bullpen Trade watch deadline edition (something like that) if you search for it and want to debate the stashes. Strong preference to Bednar over Crick, agree Patton>Rodriguez>Sborz in Texas. I think Hudson is still a good stash; the Nats still look like sellers to me despite a hot stretch, Hand has been chalking saves and he could tempt a contender to rent his services. Even if Hand doesn't move, Hudson is like Ottavino or Lugo, he'll get a few vulture saves anyway.

Soria is a lock to be traded. No chance he isn’t. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/10/2021 at 3:33 PM, Richard Kimble said:

Go get him, they have no one else and I can't envision a team trading for him, unless its a courtesy for a bigger deal with Marte, Escobar, etc. 

On the bad bad side...the Orioles...so gross. The put Sulser out there in the 5th or something yesterday, he gave up a few runs and pretty much everyone in the pen got shelled after. Fry has to be the lead at the moment, if a save came up tonight, but the same thing happened to him a week ago or so when he was brought into a game early and was bombed for multiple runs. I guess Tanner Scott's a dark-horse, but what's the best case scenario? They get like 6 saves in a month the way Valdez did? What are you tying up a roster spot on this at all for, when half those saves could go to any number of guys. Steer clear.

Soria has been pretty good lately. 3.48 ERA over the last month and solid career numbers. He’s 100% traded to be a middle reliever on a contender. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/7/2021 at 6:34 PM, StuckBetweenStations said:

He wasn't overpowering by any means but got it done 1-2-3. He's clearly their option 1A right now. Who knows (A) if that holds as their injured pitchers return or (B) he can keep performing, but as I've said before, worse pitchers than Heath Hembree have had decent runs.

Hembree has a 4.53 FIP and Steamer projects a 3.87 ERA rest of season. Dude’s going to fall apart.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Soria is a lock to be traded. No chance he isn’t. 

I mean, I see it happening as a throw in for a bigger deal with Escobar, but I don't know if they'll really have much interest from a serious contender. Perhaps Oakland wants to reunite with Soria, I could see that happening.

1 hour ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Hembree has a 4.53 FIP and Steamer projects a 3.87 ERA rest of season. Dude’s going to fall apart.

As someone who defends Bard frequently, this is decent enough to get the job done. He's getting lots of Ks. They just need some stability in that pen, so until Sims gets back he's going to have a decent amount of rope. If nothing else he's sparing people the prospect of going back to Amir Garrett, because I don't want to see that Rust Cohle image again on this page again. Can't stand Amir.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I mean, I see it happening as a throw in for a bigger deal with Escobar, but I don't know if they'll really have much interest from a serious contender. Perhaps Oakland wants to reunite with Soria, I could see that happening.

As someone who defends Bard frequently, this is decent enough to get the job done. He's getting lots of Ks. They just need some stability in that pen, so until Sims gets back he's going to have a decent amount of rope. If nothing else he's sparing people the prospect of going back to Amir Garrett, because I don't want to see that Rust Cohle image again on this page again. Can't stand Amir.

ALEXANDRIA DADDARIO was the real star of True Detective......

 

😛😛😛

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

In regards to anyone besides Soria, yes, but if he's available over these stashes, he's the pick. There's no assurance he gets traded, so he could just keep the role all season. Baltimore is something I would completely avoid. Its the worst, even the DBacks are a better bet for saves. Fry and Sulser again pitched like the 5th and 6th inning the last game and gave up runs.

Again, reminder I put together the Bullpen Trade watch deadline edition (something like that) if you search for it and want to debate the stashes. Strong preference to Bednar over Crick, agree Patton>Rodriguez>Sborz in Texas. I think Hudson is still a good stash; the Nats still look like sellers to me despite a hot stretch, Hand has been chalking saves and he could tempt a contender to rent his services. Even if Hand doesn't move, Hudson is like Ottavino or Lugo, he'll get a few vulture saves anyway.

I think Soria gets moved.  Or certainly Zona will try to move him.  There's no sense in him staying there, and teams are always looking for pen help down the stretch.  There are never any guarantees tho.  

I was looking at the standings the other day and I agree that the Nats will likely be sellers.  If they are the closer market could get interesting in that teams looking for end of game arms will have multiple options to choose from.   It will/could throw a lot of closer situations into a bit of turmoil too.  The team trading the closer obviously, but the acquiring team as well.  Toronto is a team I think of.  If they made a move for Hand or Kimbrel it would likely bump Romano out of the job.  We always think of the teams that stink at closer as being an obvious match for these guys, and we bake that into the value of the people holding the job there, but its tough when you have a guy that's doing well that gets kicked from the gig.  Pressly, Romano, McGee, and/or maybe Reyes owners could be getting a slight kick to the groin area at the deadline.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Would you want to throw Chapman out in a closer role at this point?  Boone sure doesn't either.

Well any chance Green had to run with the job for a bit went up in smoke. Chapman might get an IL stint coming out of the break if he has another bad stretch, but Chad ain't the answer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Well any chance Green had to run with the job for a bit went up in smoke. Chapman might get an IL stint coming out of the break if he has another bad stretch, but Chad ain't the answer.

Well though I'm sure he won't be put in the mix right away, we also have this blast from the past returning:

Quote

Tue, Jul 13

Zack Britton (hamstring) is expected to be activated from the 10-day injured list on Thursday after the All-Star break.

Advice: Britton sustained a Grade 1 left hamstring strain on June 25, but has thrown a pair of live batting practice sessions recently, and is expected to be ready to rejoin the Yankees bullpen after the All-Star break.

(NBCSportsEDGE.com)

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, dicka24 said:

Fact Check: True 

tumblr_p2wvedi0eR1w8ib1ro1_400.gifv

Man, oh man. thank you for the fact check. And thank you Richard Kimble for bringing up Rust Cohle and sending this thread on a tangent leading to this wonderful gif. 

Edited by Dirty Little Birdie
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...