NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

As many I'm very confused with closing situations. Trying to kick the tires here and see what some of you think. 

Do we think Nick Anderson is going to be closing for the Rays and he's a must add ? 

I believe he was the guy earlier in the season before he got hurt and his ownership is shooting up in my Yahoo. 

Any of you scrambling for Britton ?

I know Chapman has struggled and some mentioned a possible IL stint, but have to assume he'll be back sooner than later if he did hit the IL and grab the gig back. 

FYI it is official:

Yankees activated LHP Zack Britton from the 10-day injured list.

Britton wound up missing about three weeks of action due to a Grade 1 strain of his left hamstring, after also sitting out all of April and May following arthroscopic elbow surgery. He's logged only five appearances for New York this season but will be ready to rock for the start of the second half.

19 hours ago, tonywow said:

As many I'm very confused with closing situations. Trying to kick the tires here and see what some of you think. 

Do we think Nick Anderson is going to be closing for the Rays and he's a must add ? 

I believe he was the guy earlier in the season before he got hurt and his ownership is shooting up in my Yahoo. 

I know Chapman has struggled and some mentioned a possible IL stint, but have to assume he'll be back sooner than later if he did hit the IL and grab the gig back. 

I would like to know others opinions on these two situations as well.  I was an owner of both these pitchers the last couple seasons and both have done a solid job in the closers role.  Anderson is lights out at the backend of that bullpen, however he won’t be at 100% and is a risk of re-injuring himself. But the upside is too great to ignore.   Britton has been consistently solid himself filling in as the Yankees closer in the past but he is also questionable since he has not appeared much this season. 

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

FYI it is official:

I know Chapman has been scuffling, but Britton has been pretty bad (albeit in limited appearances) this season too. 

On 7/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, dicka24 said:

Who are the guys we should target, monitor, or roster for the 2nd half?  

MIA - Anthony Bender

Seattle - Sewald

Cubs - Tapera/Chafin

Pitt - Crick/Bednar

Tex - Sporz

Wash - ???

Zona - Avoid

On 7/12/2021 at 2:16 PM, dicka24 said:

Who are the guys we should target, monitor, or roster for the 2nd half?  

MIA - Anthony Bender

Seattle - Sewald

Cubs - Tapera/Chafin

Pitt - Crick/Bednar

Tex - Sporz

Wash - ???

Zona - Avoid

For Washington, if Hand is moved, I'd expect Hudson to take over the role (unless he too is moved). He's throwing his FB 97mph and his slider 90mph right now, and looked good in his two appearances since coming back. I would have to think he'll vulture a few saves anyways, and I posted his numbers in the middle reliever thread already--they're very good. Gotta think he's next in line.

I'm also of the belief Soria just doesn't get traded. In which case, I think he could have a little bit of sneaky second-half value. We'll see. 

Baltimore is a wasteland. Avoid that situation.

Cubs would likely turn to Tepera (has gotten chances when Kimbrel was unavailable, has some closing experience); however, there's a chance someone like Rex Brothers emerges and takes the role. I could also see them going to a closer by comittee and then riding the hot hand. Ross does seem to know how to handle his pitching staff well, especially his pen, so we'll have to wait and see. I don't personally think Chafin closes because he's simply done too well as a setup man this year.

Seattle is supposedly buying, but I'd hang onto Sewald anyway. There's a chance he fights that job back.

I think Miami wants Bender to take the job, but the chances they've tossed him so far have come up flat. But right now, I would guess he is the number one choice if and when Yimi gets dealt.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, jmcampbe11 said:

I know Chapman has been scuffling, but Britton has been pretty bad (albeit in limited appearances) this season too. 

As a Yankees fan and a fantasy player still chasing saves (sigh) my money remains on Green, but it could quite easily end up being any of the three of them or even possibly Loaisiga. The one slight saving grace is I can't imagine Boone doing a committee, so I think whoever has success will run with it.

(I still think Chapman gets the first shot, I just think he'll fail.)

• Like 1

On 7/14/2021 at 8:13 PM, tonywow said:

As with many closers returning from a long stint in the DL, I would sure bet they would slowly ease him back into the closers role after a number of high leverage situations. 

25 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

We love you Ranger!!!

Indeed, my question is this...if Archie Bradley set him up today, was he the "Pre-a-Ranger?" I contend this must be the new term for Philly setup men as long as Suarez is the closer.

• Haha 2

Just now, Richard Kimble said:

Indeed, my question is this...if Archie Bradley set him up today, was he the "Pre-a-Ranger?" I contend this must be the new term for Philly setup men as long as Suarez is the closer.

spacer.png

On 7/14/2021 at 8:13 PM, tonywow said:

Even if he finishes the rehab process and instantly returns to form at the MLB level, the Rays have Castillo closing effectively and also aren't married to traditional closer usage. I like Anderson but there's a lot that has to go right there.

On 7/15/2021 at 7:57 PM, nlm said:

For Washington, if Hand is moved, I'd expect Hudson to take over the role (unless he too is moved). He's throwing his FB 97mph and his slider 90mph right now, and looked good in his two appearances since coming back. I would have to think he'll vulture a few saves anyways, and I posted his numbers in the middle reliever thread already--they're very good. Gotta think he's next in line.

I'm also of the belief Soria just doesn't get traded. In which case, I think he could have a little bit of sneaky second-half value. We'll see. 

Baltimore is a wasteland. Avoid that situation.

Cubs would likely turn to Tepera (has gotten chances when Kimbrel was unavailable, has some closing experience); however, there's a chance someone like Rex Brothers emerges and takes the role. I could also see them going to a closer by comittee and then riding the hot hand. Ross does seem to know how to handle his pitching staff well, especially his pen, so we'll have to wait and see. I don't personally think Chafin closes because he's simply done too well as a setup man this year.

Seattle is supposedly buying, but I'd hang onto Sewald anyway. There's a chance he fights that job back.

I think Miami wants Bender to take the job, but the chances they've tossed him so far have come up flat. But right now, I would guess he is the number one choice if and when Yimi gets dealt.

Soria has been good over the last month and is a free agent after the season. He’s getting moved for a fact. Sewald is only becoming a closer if Graveman is traded.

24 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Soria has been good over the last month and is a free agent after the season. He’s getting moved for a fact. Sewald is only becoming a closer if Graveman is traded.

speak of the devil

graveman started to melt down and sewald closed the door (barely)

8 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

speak of the devil

graveman started to melt down and sewald closed the door (barely)

😳. I still have faith in Graveman and his advanced metrics, but closers are volatile, 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

😳. I still have faith in Graveman and his advanced metrics, but closers are volatile, 

The two errors in the inning certainly didn’t help.

Clase is still a hold, imo. From June 1st to the ASB he was 22nd in k-bb% with a 11.77 k/9 and 1.38 bb/9. The guy consistently induces weak contact and groundballs, yet he’s giving up a .311 BABIP. I’ve watched a lot of his outings this year and have never seen someone give up as many infield hits and seeing eye singles. The home run to Lowrie last night really hurt, but Lowrie has been one of the hottest hitters in baseball over the last few weeks. I’m giving him a little more leash.

• Like 2