NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

Fairbanks with the last two saves for TB, looking good while doing it.  Could he be taking over as the primary option (even though Cash likes to mix and match)?

Sounds like the same thing I have read since the beginning of the season  (and previous seasons) about different pitchers out of this pen..lol

Never surprising that Kevin Cash spreads around the save opportunities, But in a close, 10-inning game Friday, Diego Castillo didn't appear at all, nor did he pitch in another close one today. Is he hurt, or maybe Cash being asked to avoid him because he's being discussed in trades?

5 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Feels like a trip to the Disgraceful List if Diaz blows this one.

I’m thinking Trevor May gets the next save opportunity.

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

The Reds pen is absolutely atrocious. 

1 1/3 perfect from Hembree though. Who would have had a save opp if the atrocious guy in front of him didn't blow the lead. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Caelum said:

1 1/3 perfect from Hembree though. Who would have had a save opp if the atrocious guy in front of him didn't blow the lead. 

Yeah Osich blows

matheny has young stud pitchers barlow and staumont, but he has to prove he's the smartest guy in the room by giving save opps to dinosaur greg holland. holland in for the 9th after barlow pitched the 8th, matheny and kevin cash are neck and neck.

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

matheny has young stud pitchers barlow and staumont, but he has to prove he's the smartest guy in the room by giving save opps to dinosaur greg holland. holland in for the 9th after barlow pitched the 8th, matheny and kevin cash are neck and neck.

So Holland must have gotten bombed and blew the save?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

So Holland must have gotten bombed and blew the save?

no, but I just don't know why matheny is trotting out dinosaurs like holland at this point in the season when he has other younger better options that would benefit from learning to work in high leverage situations and could also see if they are up for the task of closer next year.   they've all closed at points during this season and barlow and staumont have considerably better stats when they've been used to close out games.  here are their cumulative stats. barlow and staumont have been way better pitching in the 9th, but I dont have the energy to break it down by inning.

Holland 6 saves, 4.74 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 9.2 K/9

Staumont 5 saves, 3.68 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 10.1 K/9

Barlow 4 saves, 2.82 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 12.4 K/9

10 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

no, but I just don't know why matheny is trotting out dinosaurs like holland at this point in the season when he has other younger better options that would benefit from learning to work in high leverage situations and could also see if they are up for the task of closer next year.   they've all closed at points during this season and barlow and staumont have considerably better stats when they've been used to close out games.  here are their cumulative stats. barlow and staumont have been way better pitching in the 9th, but I dont have the energy to break it down by inning.

Holland 6 saves, 4.74 ERA, 1.42 WHIP, 9.2 K/9

Staumont 5 saves, 3.68 ERA, 1.31 WHIP, 10.1 K/9

Barlow 4 saves, 2.82 ERA, 1.30 WHIP, 12.4 K/9

Why drive up the cost to the team when perfectly cromulent options are getting the job done and saving you money? And besides, there's still a lot of season left, including the trade deadline. Doesn't hurt to see Holland performing in the ninth, even if another team that trades for him won't use him there.

10 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Why drive up the cost to the team when perfectly cromulent options are getting the job done and saving you money? And besides, there's still a lot of season left, including the trade deadline. Doesn't hurt to see Holland performing in the ninth, even if another team that trades for him won't use him there.

Everyone knows who Holland is at this point.  No one who is trading for relief help would use him as a closer.  I don’t think him getting one or two more saves over the next 10 days is going to move the needle on his trade value.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Everyone knows who Holland is at this point.  No one who is trading for relief help would use him as a closer.  I don’t think him getting one or two more saves over the next 10 days is going to move the needle on his trade value.  

100% this.

If Holland is being used to showcase his 'skills" for a trade, Matheny is an idiot.

• Like 1

Why the Reds would use Hembree in the 8th is a mystery, he has closed out 5 games and given up 1 run all month coming into this game, he is the closer! Idiots 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Redphan said:

Why the Reds would use Hembree in the 8th is a mystery, he has closed out 5 games and given up 1 run all month coming into this game, he is the closer! Idiots 

Bell gonna Bell. 

i know everyone jokes about "___ has blackmail on ___", but that is the only possible explanation for bell using Amir Garrett, the worst RP in baseball in so many high leverage spots

Edited by GeorgeCostanza