NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

Rich Rod may be heading to the Phillies soon. Will he be "the guy?" he has to be I would say.

I'm sure he's already owned on spec in most leagues, but is everyone in on bednar as "the guy" with crick gone? Or some kind of BS committee thing to protect the youngster?

4 hours ago, cyberer said:

Rich Rod may be heading to the Phillies soon. Will he be "the guy?" he has to be I would say.

I'm sure he's already owned on spec in most leagues, but is everyone in on bednar as "the guy" with crick gone? Or some kind of BS committee thing to protect the youngster?

came here to ask this.  anyone got the goods?

Can't remember the last save I got from Ian Kennedy.  Guessing he gets dealt, so who are we going with in the Rangers bullpen?  Yes, I understand it might only be 5 saves at most...but at this point that's a key roto category in my league.  

• Like 1

I personally think Sewald has to be the unquestioned closer right now, especially after he got the last SV opp and converted it cleanly.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nlm said:

I personally think Sewald has to be the unquestioned closer right now, especially after he got the last SV opp and converted it cleanly.

Bigger question - does Seattle go after a big fish now - do they go and get Kimbrel? 

• Like 1

Just now, mudrummer said:

Bigger question - does Seattle go after a big fish now - do they go and get Kimbrel? 

I hadn't thought about something along those lines, but maybe there is something brewing there...

As a Graveman owner I knew this could be coming but it still stings.

I’d imagine Presley gets the 9th and Graveman gets the 8th for Houston while Sewald and Steckenrider share closing duties for Seattle with the edge going to Sewald.

1 minute ago, mudrummer said:

Doubt it. They’re trying to thread the needle between being both buyers and sellers. They’ll look to trade players like Graveman with expiring contracts while picking up assets that can help this year but are also controllable for future years.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

I hadn't thought about something along those lines, but maybe there is something brewing there...

My only thought is that they are wanting to compete now, competing teams don’t usually make their bullpen weaker so feels like there is another move coming. As a graveman owner part of me wants to run to the waiver wire and add Sewald but I just have the sense there is more to come 

1 minute ago, mudrummer said:

My only thought is that they are wanting to compete now, competing teams don’t usually make their bullpen weaker so feels like there is another move coming. As a graveman owner part of me wants to run to the waiver wire and add Sewald but I just have the sense there is more to come 

I think you should add Sewald if it won't cost you any FAB. At the very least, just swap Graveman for Sewald and wait & see.

Edited by nlm

1 minute ago, nlm said:

I think you should add Sewald if it won't cost you any FAB. At the very least, just swap Graveman for Sewald and wait & see.

I may - I don’t have a great drop - I actually think Graveman retains a lot of value even as a setup man - my best drop is Pablo Lopez but would love to hold on to him 

10 minutes ago, nlm said:

Steckenrider got the last save opp. 

3 minutes ago, nlm said:

Or Steckenrider. I don’t know that Sewald is the clear leader here. 

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

Steckenrider got the last save opp. 

Did he blow it or did I just miss something there? I swore Sewald saw the last save opp. My bad.

Just now, Flyman75 said:

Or Steckenrider. I don’t know that Sewald is the clear leader here. 

If it's a case of committee, I wouldn't add either, then (unless you really need saves and want Sewald's strikeout upside). I would almost think there has to be another move coming.

1 minute ago, nlm said:

Did he blow it or did I just miss something there? I swore Sewald saw the last save opp. My bad.

No thats my bad. I had my nights mixed up...my apologies. 

I do think both will be involved and get saves. It’s been the Mariner way so far this season, so I figure it’ll continue. I could be wrong. 

Edited by Flyman75