NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

If it's a case of committee, I wouldn't add either, then (unless you really need saves and want Sewald's strikeout upside). I would almost think there has to be another move coming.

Might be, but in a saves-for-blood league, you grab up anyone you can lol. 

8 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

Meanwhile, the last three Mariners saves have gone to Graveman, Steckenrider, and Sewald. Graveman is still a potential trade candidate, so you could do a lot worse than to park your speculating spot on Steckenrider, assuming Sewald is unavailable. Nothing leads me to believe they won't continue to operate as a committee, whether or not Graveman is dealt. While committees can be a headache, the Mariners and Giants in particular have handed out save opps like Xmas gifts this season, and are much more attractive than Minnesota, Cleveland, etc.

LOL this turned out to be good timing 8 hours ago and no one bothered to scroll back a page, gotta pat myself on the back a little 👏

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

No thats my bad. I had my nights mixed up...my apologies. 

I do think both will be involved and get saves. It’s been the Mariner way so far this season, so I figure it’ll continue. I could be wrong. 

Haha. I was gonna say. Are you SURE he got the save last night? lol It's all good.

I have to think the Mariners have a little more belief in Sewald right now, and he does have some momentum going into this trade... I would prefer Sewald. And I totally understand blood for saves... I'm in sv+hld this year but totally know how it gets. Even in our league, it's pretty hard to find a reliable holds guy on the wire.

3 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

LOL this turned out to be good timing 8 hours ago and no one bothered to scroll back a page, gotta pat myself on the back a little 👏

I thought Graveman being traded has been talked about for a while now? As a Graveman owner, I’ve been waiting for this for a good bit. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I thought Graveman being traded has been talked about for a while now? As a Graveman owner, I’ve been waiting for this for a good bit. 

It's the timing and fact that a lot of rumors about the Mariners being buyers have come out today. Then they go and dump their current closer (and their original closer? lol) so it's just an odd picture. 

Edited by nlm

Just now, Flyman75 said:

I thought Graveman being traded has been talked about for a while now?

Certainly but it was also stated by the FO/Manager that the Mariners are "buyers" but in that context I think it was clear Graveman was even likelier to be traded. As it applies to this trade, Abraham Toro is something they plan to plug into 3B because I'm guessing they plan to trade Kyle Seager soon, too. 

Sewald got the save last night against the Astros.

Steckenrider had a save on Sunday (when Graveman & Sewald didn't pitch), and blew the lead on Saturday in the 7th (Sewald & Graveman pitched the 8th & 9th). If you're speculating, I dunno how you aren't going Sewald right now if he's still available.

• Like 5

Just now, nlm said:

It's the timing and fact that a lot of rumors about the Mariners being buyers have come out today.

Ah okay. Been busy today, and other than laughing at posty in the luck/skill thread, I haven’t paid attention to baseball today, lol. 

6 minutes ago, Kaytwo said:

Sewald got the save last night against the Astros.

Steckenrider had a save on Sunday (when Graveman & Sewald didn't pitch), and blew the lead on Saturday in the 7th (Sewald & Graveman pitched the 8th & 9th). If you're speculating, I dunno how you aren't going Sewald right now if he's still available.

I think it’s fair to speculate on both, and I’m a Sewald owner. Steck has also been pitching great this season...lower ERA, WHIP, HR/9, BB/9 than Sewald, who has a much higher K/9. Sewald may be the guy (and I hope so), but Seattle hasn’t had a “guy” all season. I honestly expect them to mix-and-match with Sewald and Steck, if they hold onto both. 

• Like 1

I think the deadline spec. adds and stashes are pretty clear and the die is cast from here, but we need to figure out the situation in Minnesota. Taylor Rogers went on IL unfortunately, and Robles just blew a save on a grand slam to Eric Haase and has been absolutely terrible. Alex Colome also gave up a bomb late last night, and if either guy had a chance of getting dumped off on a contender, its pretty unlikely unless they are actually just a throw in to get Buxton. I just don't know if Baldelli can give them the next save chance, so I guess it might be Tyler Duffey time for a spell? Perhaps Danny Coloumbe can move up as he's been pretty good since coming up? This is an opportunity that may not be tapped yet, albeit an unappealing one.

Edited by Richard Kimble

5 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Amir Garrett in to close things out. @Richard Kimble will be thrilled to see his favorite gif.

spacer.png

Disgusting. You'll get no reaction points from me. Garrett immediately walked Rizzo then settled down to strike out Contreras and Bote grounded out, I was hoping Garrett was psycho enough to plunk Bote just for the chance to square off with Baez again. That would have been epic.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rotoguy74 said:

Who's the add when Yimi is dealt?

Dylan Floro based on recent usage.

I’m a lot more interested in Bender because he’s awesome, but he’s been entering games really early lately.

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Dylan Floro based on recent usage.

I’m a lot more interested in Bender because he’s awesome, but he’s been entering games really early lately.

Hmmm...I was thinking Bender would be the add. Seems like I've read in a few places that he'll be the guy they likely turn to. I own neither, so I'm not speculating. Would seem plausible that they'd want to leave Floro in his current setup role and at least try Bender as the closer. 

18 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Hmmm...I was thinking Bender would be the add. Seems like I've read in a few places that he'll be the guy they likely turn to. I own neither, so I'm not speculating. Would seem plausible that they'd want to leave Floro in his current setup role and at least try Bender as the closer. 

My guess is its Floro if he hangs around past the deadline, they used him in the 9th last night up 7-3, and Bender almost created a save situation for Yimi in the 7th. Interestingly, they said Bender used to play for an independent league team Milwaukee Milkmen in 2019. Hard not to root for this guy and I really will have in my sleeper plans next year. But the Marlins MO is to keep costs down, and they gave him a half-assed crack at the job, but I suspect they'll let Floro get the saves since he's already earning more, etc. so I'd park my spot there ATM. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

My guess is its Floro if he hangs around past the deadline, they used him in the 9th last night up 7-3, and Bender almost created a save situation for Yimi in the 7th. Interestingly, they said Bender used to play for an independent league team Milwaukee Milkmen in 2019. Hard not to root for this guy and I really will have in my sleeper plans next year. But the Marlins MO is to keep costs down, and they gave him a half-assed crack at the job, but I suspect they'll let Floro get the saves since he's already earning more, etc. so I'd park my spot there ATM. 

Floro has been pitching well...no ER allowed since June 14 (12 games, 13 ip). In fact, all 12 of his ER have come in four games...no ER in his other 39 games, lol. So I guess when he torches the ratios for a day, he does it up right, LOL. One of them was a 1/3 inning, 5 ER effort. 

But if he gets the job and can keep those to a minimum, he may surprise ROS. He's yet to allow a HR this season, too. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rotoguy74 said:

If Kimbrel is dealt odds are high he will be a MR or setup guy right? Dodgers trying hard to get him

I think not, Kimbrel is a closer, if you pay a closer price to get him, he's closing, in my opinion. 

That's probably why he won't be heading to LAD .

2 minutes ago, Topgun said:

I think not, Kimbrel is a closer, if you pay a closer price to get him, he's closing, in my opinion. 

That's probably why he won't be heading to LAD .

Yeah you are right. So owning him I guess no need to handcuff, just ride out the next couple days then

For those banking on Yimi getting traded I think it’s worth pointing out that he’s sporting a xERA of 4.63, FIP of 4.17, and xFIP of 4.20 and has been especially bad from the beginning of June onward. I’m skeptical that any contending team would want him. There has to be better options available. That being said it could still happen and the situation should be closely monitored.

5 minutes ago, meh2 said:

For those banking on Yimi getting traded I think it’s worth pointing out that he’s sporting a xERA of 4.63, FIP of 4.17, and xFIP of 4.20 and has been especially bad from the beginning of June onward. I’m skeptical that any contending team would want him. There has to be better options available. That being said it could still happen and the situation should be closely monitored.

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded, but I don't think any team will trade for him to make him their closer. 

• Like 1