NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

lol Alvarado pulled for Ranger Suarez after giving up a walk, double, walk. You could maybe give his crap control today a pass because it was raining heavily (I'm surprised they didn't suspend the game), but he's had terrible control all season.

This entire bullpen is a disaster but I still don't understand Girardi putting Alvarado in the 8th. It's unbelievable the Phillies are still in playoff contention. Lord do they need to trade for a closer.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Suarez is way better than Alvarado. Should have just given him a clean inning. And Segura could have kept the tying runner off 2nd but he's too lazy to turn and throw. Just a gong show in Philly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dod959 said:

Suarez is way better than Alvarado. Should have just given him a clean inning. And Segura could have kept the tying runner off 2nd but he's too lazy to turn and throw. Just a gong show in Philly. 

Heck, they might have gotten a double play from it. Either way they're probably winning the game there if he at least gets the lead runner. Terrible defense. Suarez is probably better than Alvarado but that's not the highest of bars. The entire bullpen should be burned to the ground and they should just pull fans from the stands.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Heck, they might have gotten a double play from it. Either way they're probably winning the game there if he at least gets the lead runner. Terrible defense. Suarez is probably better than Alvarado but that's not the highest of bars. The entire bullpen should be burned to the ground and they should just pull fans from the stands.

Cameraman caught a brilliant shot of Suarez's reaction after giving up the double, and then focused in on Girardi in the dugout in the background and brought him into focus over Suarez's shoulder....trust me it was a meme-able moment. Pretty much summed the whole situation up in a glance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Cameraman caught a brilliant shot of Suarez's reaction after giving up the double, and then focused in on Girardi in the dugout in the background and brought him into focus over Suarez's shoulder....trust me it was a meme-able moment. Pretty much summed the whole situation up in a glance.

Post a clip if you find it! I was unable to watch the screen during that whole thing, but listening to it play out was probably the least surprising thing to happen this year. I've lost track of how many games they've blown, but it's a lot. We're watching history in the making.

1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Post a clip if you find it! I was unable to watch the screen during that whole thing, but listening to it play out was probably the least surprising thing to happen this year. I've lost track of how many games they've blown, but it's a lot. We're watching history in the making.

Gotta love Twitter, ordered and delivered just for you.

• Haha 9

Suarez gets 5 out of the 6 batters out without breaking a sweat. Gives up one groundball double. And he's been great all year on top of it. Clearly the best reliever in the pen.

6 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Cinci up 2-1 in the 9th and its...HEATH HEMBREE TIME apparently

EDIT: Damn, Hembree lookin' kinda nasty actually

Desperate for saves, I just picked him up...best thread ever!

13 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Cinci up 2-1 in the 9th and its...HEATH HEMBREE TIME apparently

EDIT: Damn, Hembree lookin' kinda nasty actually

Hembree was being touted by someone in here last month as a guy to keep an eye on to steal the job. I think I'm jumping in. He's the only guy left who hasn't proven they suck in the ninth.

4 minutes ago, herschel said:

So Clase is no longer part of any closing committee right?  Been a few weeks without seeing a save op.

Had his last save 6/16, but they've only had save 2 opportunities since then (which were both Karinchak). I think it's probably the same committee it's been. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, herschel said:

So Clase is no longer part of any closing committee right?  Been a few weeks without seeing a save op.

The Indians aren’t generating many save opportunities right now with Bieber, Plesac, Civale, Franmil, Perez, etc injured. Tito seems to be settling on Shaw, Clase, and Karinchak in the 7th, 8th, and 9th, respectively. It sucks owning Clase right now but I think he’s got too much upside to drop. 

• Like 3

Barlow has been great by the numbers.  If he starts getting save opps, he could have a pretty nice second half.  Do we like a guy like Barlow or Hembree more to stay at the head of their respective committees?

33 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

Barlow has been great by the numbers.  If he starts getting save opps, he could have a pretty nice second half.  Do we like a guy like Barlow or Hembree more to stay at the head of their respective committees?

I too would love to know everyone’s thought on this.