NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

15 minutes ago, meh2 said:

For those banking on Yimi getting traded I think it’s worth pointing out that he’s sporting a xERA of 4.63, FIP of 4.17, and xFIP of 4.20 and has been especially bad from the beginning of June onward. I’m skeptical that any contending team would want him. There has to be better options available. That being said it could still happen and the situation should be closely monitored.

Hahaha….awful timing, Meh.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Hahaha….awful timing, Meh.

Its obvious the "bad" closers like Bard, Garcia and Soria, to name a few, aren't closing if they get traded. As I said, Bard appears safe after the Givens trade, and I don't see Soria getting much traction on his own. But, since we need to be prepared, I have noticed a number of people adding Noe Ramirez as a handcuff. I think Tyler Clippard is the way to go there, for reasons that should be obvious enough. It won't be a great situation, but assuming you're in a league where Bednar, Tepera, Floro, Sewald, etc., have all been plucked, the Dbacks/Texas guys are certainly sitting there b/c no one knows who to take a shot on. I have an inkling on Texas too..

3 minutes ago, herschel said:

So assuming the additions of graveman and yimi remove Houston as a landing spot for Kimbrel?  Good news for Pressly owners?

Phillies was my guess or maybe the Dodgers as they don't seem confident in their current one.

4 minutes ago, herschel said:

So assuming the additions of graveman and yimi remove Houston as a landing spot for Kimbrel?  Good news for Pressly owners?

Yes seems like they are good with Pressly - I think they have to be considered WS favorites now. Their bullpen is stout, offense is stacked top to bottom, I could see them adding a starter (do they go Scherzer???) other than that I think they are done.

Would love thoughts on closers in waiting:

- Tepera - good stuff and underlying metrics, OK team context. Only downside is he could be moved before the deadline as well.

- Gallegos - has been good this year, decent division to pitch in even if the Cards aren't good

- Noe Ramirez - bad team and only ok stuff - feels like there could easily be a platoon situation in ARI once Soria is moved

- Hudson - has been quietly very good for the Nationals this year and closed for them in 2020 - think he steps in if they move Hand unless he gets dealt as well.

- Bender - likely next man up in MIA but team is going to struggle to generate many save chances in last 1/3 of the year.

- Cishek - underlying stats have been rough this year, he would be likely to close if they moved Iglesias but it could get ugly fast.

I am in a league that has limited roster moves each week and for the moment I am holding. Sewald and Bender aren't available but will likely move to pick up at least one of these guys to make up for losing Graveman.

18 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Its obvious the "bad" closers like Bard, Garcia and Soria, to name a few, aren't closing if they get traded. As I said, Bard appears safe after the Givens trade, and I don't see Soria getting much traction on his own. But, since we need to be prepared, I have noticed a number of people adding Noe Ramirez as a handcuff. I think Tyler Clippard is the way to go there, for reasons that should be obvious enough. It won't be a great situation, but assuming you're in a league where Bednar, Tepera, Floro, Sewald, etc., have all been plucked, the Dbacks/Texas guys are certainly sitting there b/c no one knows who to take a shot on. I have an inkling on Texas too..

if i have one spot available and bednar, bender, floro  are available...who would u go with?

11 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Yes seems like they are good with Pressly - I think they have to be considered WS favorites now. Their bullpen is stout, offense is stacked top to bottom, I could see them adding a starter (do they go Scherzer???) other than that I think they are done.

And they probably still have those electronic devices taped to their chests too.   No wait, Cora took those to Boston.  😁

5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

if i have one spot available and bednar, bender, floro  are available...who would u go with?

Bednar because he's the most likely to get a closing job.  We really don't know who will get the gig in Miami.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

If you have a free slot it wouldn't be a bad idea to pre-emptively pick up Tapera.

Graveman and Yimi getting traded to Houston has opened up that opportunity for me. Hahaha!! 

20 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Hader hasn’t pitched in 10 days..very odd to say the least

Yes I just acquired him a few days ago of course and was really hoping he'd get in there today, I mean its a blowout but give him a tune-up tonight Counsell

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Yes I just acquired him a few days ago of course and was really hoping he'd get in there today, I mean its a blowout but give him a tune-up tonight Counsell

Aquired him the I believe the day after his last appearance.lol

We could get our first glimpse of the Marlins new closer in the post-Yimi era in a few moments. I fully expect Mattingly to troll Bender/Floro owners and give the first shot to Bass.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Safe to say Bleier and Okert won't get the next save chance for the Marlins. That was putrid. And robbed us a chance to see who would get the save opp.

🖕 Mattingly again

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1