NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, Redphan said:

So is Clippard the new ARI closer? He looks really good

I’d say there’s a pretty good chance he gets dealt in the next 48 hours…

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Hendriks blew the W for Giolito. 

You're right, but I'd put almost as much blame on their offense.  Only being able to score 2 runs off Bubic when you're supposed to be a good offense is pitiful.

On topic though, it's crazy how good his stats look even though he has 5 blown saves and has given up 8 HRs.

10 hours ago, meh2 said:

We could get our first glimpse of the Marlins new closer in the post-Yimi era in a few moments. I fully expect Mattingly to troll Bender/Floro owners and give the first shot to Bass.

Thanks buddy I snag bender two weeks ago just for this situation and you just ruined a really good buzz

1 minute ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Brad Hand to the Blue Jays. What do we think about who gets the 9th? Hand sucks. 

It will be Hudson if he isn't dealt and when he gets off the COVID DL...

Until then...  Finnegan or Rainey...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I was talking about the Blue Jays. As a Romano owner in all leagues this scares me. 

Ah, sorry...

I have no idea how it will shake out in Canada...

5 minutes ago, posty said:

It will be Hudson if he isn't dealt and when he gets off the COVID DL...

Until then...  Finnegan or Rainey...

…gross…

I thought coming into the season that Rainey was the clear closer of the future for the Nats -- electric arm. But with him just coming off the IL today and sporting an ERA near 7, I grabbed Finnegan for the doubleheader. Out of spots to pick up both as I've grabbed Floro, Givens and Duffey in the last couple days. And as a Romano owner I am very nervous.

1 hour ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I would think Hand would be the closer in TOR, no?

I'm curious as well, if he's not going to close he's useless in my league. I imagined Romano would close, but who knows. I haven't read anywhere hiw Toronto will use him. 

Edited by tonywow

2 hours ago, JameisofThrones said:

I thought coming into the season that Rainey was the clear closer of the future for the Nats -- electric arm. But with him just coming off the IL today and sporting an ERA near 7, I grabbed Finnegan for the doubleheader. Out of spots to pick up both as I've grabbed Floro, Givens and Duffey in the last couple days. And as a Romano owner I am very nervous.

Finnegan gets the save in Game 1

4 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

Dan Winkler?

Dillon Maples to IL with a blister, I grabbed Brothers because of my bias towards former closers, but if I'm being honest, Winkler is the add.  Just like Kyle Finnegan above, who could actually just be the closer if Hudson gets moved (hoping his trip to COVID-IL will prevent that/plus his long history with WAS).

Edited by Richard Kimble

26 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Dillon Maples to IL with a blister, I grabbed Brothers because of my bias towards former closers, but if I'm being honest, Winkler is the add.  Just like Kyle Finnegan above, who could actually just be the closer if Hudson gets moved (hoping his trip to COVID-IL will prevent that/plus his long history with WAS).

Winkler feels like a trainwreck waiting to happen with the walks and HRs he allows. 

In re: Nationals

I took a look at the last month and it seems like Finnegan will get the next opportunity rather than Rainey or Suero. 

Long term I would go with Hudson as the add though. If/when he comes off the covid list. 

16 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Winkler feels like a trainwreck waiting to happen with the walks and HRs he allows. 

You're not wrong. Look at the reality of the situation, they are dumping the top 3 on the depth chart, and some of the other contenders like Maples, Thompson, Steele, aren't available. No one is going to be a sure bet, and some of these teams like Miami and the Cubs could make the Reds situation seem like a cakewalk.