NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

Feels like there are three highly unsettled situations - Miami, Washington and Chicago (assuming Kimbrel goes) are we thinking those jobs are:

Bender

Finnegan 

Brothers / Winker - Brothers is a LHP which is not the prototypical closer. 

13 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Feels like there are three highly unsettled situations - Miami, Washington and Chicago (assuming Kimbrel goes) are we thinking those jobs are:

Bender

Finnegan 

For now, Colorado isn't on this list.

1 hour ago, mudrummer said:

Bender

Finnegan 

Don’t forget Floro in Miami. 

Was Ranger traded to the Nats and I missed it? lol

(17 mins ago) Suarez (5-3) earned the win in relief during the second game of Thursday's doubleheader against the Nationals after allowing one unearned run on two hits and a walk across one inning. He struck out two.

Suarez pitched the eighth inning and while he allowed three baserunners and an unearned run when the runner from second crossed home plate following an RBI single from Ryan Zimmerman, he still ended being credited with the win after Brad Miller smashed a walkoff grand slam in the bottom of the eighth. Suarez has gone just 4-for-7 in save chances this season but is expected to be in contention for late-inning duties following the trade that sent Brad Hand to the Blue Jays. Suarez has allowed just two earned runs over his last 10 appearances and owns a 1.59 ERA in that span.

4 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Was Ranger traded to the Nats and I missed it? lol

(17 mins ago) Suarez (5-3) earned the win in relief during the second game of Thursday's doubleheader against the Nationals after allowing one unearned run on two hits and a walk across one inning. He struck out two.

Suarez pitched the eighth inning and while he allowed three baserunners and an unearned run when the runner from second crossed home plate following an RBI single from Ryan Zimmerman, he still ended being credited with the win after Brad Miller smashed a walkoff grand slam in the bottom of the eighth. Suarez has gone just 4-for-7 in save chances this season but is expected to be in contention for late-inning duties following the trade that sent Brad Hand to the Blue Jays. Suarez has allowed just two earned runs over his last 10 appearances and owns a 1.59 ERA in that span.

For a moment, thought NBC Sports Edge/ Blurb mistake added another site.

Edited by PinstripeGM

1 hour ago, PinstripeGM said:

do we have a general consensus on who would take over if iggy is traded? cishek and watson have the "closer experience" but are both pretty uninspiring as a potential pickup. 

4 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

do we have a general consensus on who would take over if iggy is traded? cishek and watson have the "closer experience" but are both pretty uninspiring as a potential pickup. 

Have seen multiple reports about Mayers 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PinstripeGM said:

Me: I don't get this at all. You KNOW Kimbrel isn't going to be happy in a set up role. Why bring that kind of bad mojo into your clubhouse? 

Everyone Else: LaRussa bra.

2 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

Me: I don't get this at all. You KNOW Kimbrel isn't going to be happy in a set up role. Why bring that kind of bad mojo into your clubhouse? 

Everyone Else: LaRussa bra.

I don't think we know this at all. Maybe they'd be thrilled to dominate their opponents have a great shot at winning a World Series in either role considering both have been around long enough to see the bigger picture.

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Don't forget Kopech to make it a two-piece and a soda

Cease goes into the bullpen as well in the playoffs, its a full on Banana Split Sundae with all the toppings you can imagine

• Haha 2