NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

4 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

August is gonna be a rough month in the closer thread...

Rough night tonight for the folks updating depth charts and player data on out the websites out there.

So deeper blood for saves leagues obviously all of these moves are important, but which of these potential new (largely unowned) closers actually excites you?  I don't see a slam dunk guy like Kirby Yates when Hand was traded circa 2018, but I think Bednar is the highest on my list for shallower leagues. Most of the rest seem to be in murky pseudo committees and/or don't have very stellar numbers. Biggest knock will be the lack of SV opportunities but after this trade deadline I doubt the Pirates will be alone in that regard. 

Well deep roster Robles owners alert:

Red Sox acquired RHP Hansel Robles from the Twins for RHP Alex Scherff.

This one came in right under the 4 p.m. ET trade deadline on Friday. Robles had struggled to a 4.91 ERA, 1.39 WHIP, and 43/24 K/BB ratio through 44 innings of work this season with Minnesota, but he has a lot of high-leverage experience -- including 10 saves in 2021 -- and should be a decent addition to the setup corps in Boston.

2 hours ago, avatoot said:

I was just watching MLB Network and Amsinger said all reports show that Kimbrell will close & Hendriks will set up!

I haven't seen this anywhere but I actually believe it. Hendriks has worked set up in the past and kimbrel has always been a closer, old school managers like tony la russa are probably going to stick with forever closer in the closer role. Let's see if they do the 1/2 1/2 thing though....but i just bought very low on kimbrel.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fawkes_mulder said:

I haven't seen this anywhere but I actually believe it. Hendriks has worked set up in the past and kimbrel has always been a closer, old school managers like tony la russa are probably going to stick with forever closer in the closer role. Let's see if they do the 1/2 1/2 thing though....but i just bought very low on kimbrel.

But the White Sox announced that they would basically share the duties.

Looking to the near future for TB I think Nick Anderson will be their closer. He started a rehab assignment on July 23rd so he has already been involved in games for a week now. Fairbanks just went on the IL a couple of days ago with shoulder inflammation and Castillo is gone. Thoughts?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, avatoot said:

Looking to the near future for TB I think Nick Anderson will be their closer. He started a rehab assignment on July 23rd so he has already been involved in games for a week now. Fairbanks just went on the IL a couple of days ago with shoulder inflammation and Castillo is gone. Thoughts?

I don't see Tampa throwing him in to high leverage situations immediately. Wouldn't be surprised if Tampa just runs with a committee between Springs/Kittredge/Rasmussen. It will be interesting to see what they do. I'd imagine that Fairbanks will be done until mid/late September if there is any rotator cuff strain.

In re: Phillies

I would be surprised if Kennedy doesn't actually have the job despite what's being said to the press. 

I think it's more a function if them getting burned after officially announcing Neris was out, then Alvarado sucking, then Suarez almost forcing another change before settling in. 

Easier to just keep people in the dark. 

• Like 2

Deadline changes:

Atlanta: Smith probably keeps the job, but hold onto Rodriguez until we see it play out.

Cubs: ???

Houston: Gotta think Pressly keeps the job and maybe gets a boost in value now that they've got other arms that can help take it to the ninth with a lead.

Phillies: Kennedy, probably. But there's a chance Ranger keeps the job. 

Pittsburgh: Bednar likely the guy with Rodriguez being traded away but keep an eye on Crick.

Texas: ??? Don't think we got any clarity when Kennedy was hurt.

Seattle: Castillo is going to be the guy, probably. But they were starting to split things a bit with Graveman, so maybe they'll keep it a cbbc. Sewald and Castillo are both used to it, so who knows.

White Sox: Everyone assumed Kimbrel would close wherever he went and instead we're left in limbo, with the team saying it will be a committee with Liam Hendricks. 

Tampa: Nobody knows. Nick Anderson should get a large slice of that pie when he comes back in the next week or two.

Toronto: Romano has been great this year, but Hand has had a good year as well, and they could go either way. 

Washington: Who is next?

20 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Pittsburgh: Bednar likely the guy with Rodriguez being traded away but keep an eye on Crick.

Crick was released and is now at AAA in the White Sox organization.

Chris Stratton is the closest thing Bednar has to competition.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Crick was released and is now at AAA in the White Sox organization.

Chris Stratton is the closest thing Bednar has to competition.

Thanks, I totally missed that news. I know bad teams still usually pick up saves at a good clip, but I'm kind of wondering how well that is going to hold up this year with the powerhouses vs the teams that have chosen to be have nots.

8 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Duffey in the 6th for the Twins in a tie game. Colome then? 

Looks like it to me. I’m not sure how desperate I’d have to be to add him.

Also worth noting Bender got the 7th tonight for Miami. I’m assuming we would’ve seen Bass in the 8th and Floro in the 9th though it’s possible Mattingly would’ve flipped them.

3 hours ago, LJJr said:

Any reason to think Gravemann could factor in to Things in HOU or is he a safe drop?

Pressly blowing it so far in the 9th while Graveman was damn near perfect with 1.1 innings with 3 k's in the 7th and 8th innings!

• Like 1