NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

20 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

How will it shake out in Atlanta? RichRod has better numbers, but Smith has been pretty solid. Another co-closer situation? 

Nope, Rodriguez has been terrible since June, Smith is the closer.

Atlanta: Smith

Miami: Floro or Bender, based on last night’s usage it’s Floro.

Philly: Kennedy

Seattle: Castillo 

Arizona: Clippard

Texas: Committee

Houston: Pressly

Cubs: Committee

White Sox: Hendriks and Kimbrel 

Tampa: Committee

Washington: Finnegan/Committee

Pittsburgh: Bednar

Toronto: Romano or Hand

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Taylor Rogers is receiving another opinion, Rocco says. "He also has received an opinion to take a conservative route not to have a procedure on his finger.  I do believe Taylor is leaning in that direction, but I don't want to say anything definitive until we have more."

"Rocco said his initial expectation was that Rogers would miss the rest of the season with the finger issue -- described yesterday as a problem with the pulley tendon -- but doesn't want to totally rule that out until the Rogers and the Twins have all of the information."

https://twitter.com/dohyoungpark/status/1421578233804361732

Edited by PinstripeGM

1 pitch from Brothers, a lead-off double to Soto, pitching with a 6-1 lead in the 8th, and I'm ready to drop. Now he's already given up a run and loaded the bases with none out, so we really might get an idea who can handle the job for the Cubs. As I expected, its not Brothers. Codi Heuer coming into an absolute mess...

Edited by Richard Kimble

7 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Kyle Ryan going for the Cubs' save. So that's exciting.

Matchup based save, and he's probably not finishing the inning, should just face Soto here and give way to Winkler. Its going to look like a committee at first, like most of these teams. Probably will see the Rodriguez we called up from AAA in some high leverage spots, a few others, but this is a matchup based 9th inning for Ryan. 

EDIT: He got the double play to get the save! Nice first outing for Ryan, but Ross was on the top step waiting to bring in Winkler if he didn't get Soto there. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Wallscrapers said:

Karinchak has turned into a pumpkin.

You know what, I've been benching closers of late when they have those bad outings, and it worked with Jansen recently, and I did it again with the 1 team I have Karinchak in. One of the things I'm going to try to look into this offseason is seeing how relievers fare in back-to-back outings after a multi-run appearance. It seems, anecdotally at least, that one blow-up always follows another. Some guys thrive on working multiple nights, but others tend to let it linger when they blew the save the night before. 

• Like 1