NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

6 minutes ago, Wallscrapers said:

Karinchak has turned into a pumpkin.

It’s like something significant changed recently but I can’t quite put my finger on it…..

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, meh2 said:

It’s like something significant changed recently but I can’t quite put my finger on it…..

Mild Thing misses the stick 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, cyberer said:

So Stratton is the guy?

I read somewhere on Twitter where the manager announced he was going to use a committee. My take is that Stratton will get some opportunities and if he converts he’ll get the lion’s share. But he stinks so I’m skeptical. Bednar is the best arm in the pen but I suspect they’ll keep him from getting too many saves to save their billionaire owner a few nickels down the road.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

I read somewhere on Twitter where the manager announced he was going to use a committee. My take is that Stratton will get some opportunities and if he converts he’ll get the lion’s share. But he stinks so I’m skeptical. Bednar is the best arm in the pen but I suspect they’ll keep him from getting too many saves to save their billionaire owner a few nickels down the road.

This.  No way they allow a closer accumulate dollar value in a (lost) just season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I really, really hate David Bell.

The TV guys said D. Smith has hit lefties better than righties, but can’t expect Bell to pay attention to that sort of thing when there’s a good over managing opportunity.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

This.  No way they allow a closer accumulate dollar value in a (lost) just season.

Yeah. Shreve and Stratton are awful so it almost has to be bednar if it’s by merit. It very well may not be. Fortunately those other guys can’t even hold it down in like a Crichton sort of way last year. 1.5 whip?

Does any one of you nerds have a stat that shows which team has blown the most saves? Because I think the Reds might have the best record in baseball if they had an elite closer

Karinchak since the all-star break: 6.1 IP, 2 K, 5 BB, 11.38 ERA, 2.21 WHIP. 

He has a 5.9% K rate in that stretch. He was pushing 50% last year and the first two months of this season. That’s not bad luck or a little slump. He’s not even an MLB-caliber pitcher right now, much less the dominant reliever he was.

18 minutes ago, Redphan said:

Does any one of you nerds have a stat that shows which team has blown the most saves? Because I think the Reds might have the best record in baseball if they had an elite closer

or they weren't playing the worst infielder in baseball

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Redphan said:

Nerds!  Unite on behalf of (checks notes) Redphan!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think Hale managing in CLE prefers Clase. I think that’s a bigger thing than people are not giving enough credit to. With Francona probably gone for the year, it’s something to definitely keep an eye on. 

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 2