NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

I like Barlow better of the two, he’s been really good. Holland is his main threat right now and could be a trade candidate. Staumont has great stuff but has struggled lately and seems to be out of the mix. 

Hembree’s strikeouts are exciting, but his flyball rate is really high and that’s scary in GABP. He’s probably the best bet if you must speculate on a Reds RP but I’m still of the mind to avoid that situation.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Cinci up 2-1 in the 9th and its...HEATH HEMBREE TIME apparently

EDIT: Damn, Hembree lookin' kinda nasty actually

9 hours ago, Redphan said:

Desperate for saves, I just picked him up...best thread ever!

6 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I too would love to know everyone’s thought on this. 

Hembree was with Boston for a long time as in parts of 8 years straight and I would not touch him with a 10 foot pole.  Or a 20 foot one either.  He will break your heart and your ratios.  Classic Jekyll/Hyde.  Excellent appearance followed by Philly level dumpster fire one.

If you pick him up be ready to drop him in a heartbeat.  He is not the next great closer in baseball.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, swingbatter said:

Barlow has been great by the numbers.  If he starts getting save opps, he could have a pretty nice second half.  Do we like a guy like Barlow or Hembree more to stay at the head of their respective committees?

Being from Boston, Hembree would scare me a bit in that role.  The thing is, anyone can have a good run as a closer over a half season or so.  If I were desperate for saves I'd bite.  That said, I'd take Barlow first.  I'd imagine Holland will be moved (Phillies, Reds?) to a team in need of anything at closer.  So that job could/should open up and that park is friendlier to pitchers too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

McGee has been getting the save opportunities more than Rodgers recently.

yea he was up for the save last night before what's his name hit a grand slam

Edited by GeorgeCostanza

If you still have a choice between Brach and Hembree I think I'd go with Brach. Brach pitched 1.1 perfect innings retiring the 2-4 hitters in the lineup. Contreas to end the 7th. And then Baez, Rizzo, and Bryant in order to close out the 8th.

12 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

I like Barlow better of the two, he’s been really good. Holland is his main threat right now and could be a trade candidate. Staumont has great stuff but has struggled lately and seems to be out of the mix. 

Hembree’s strikeouts are exciting, but his flyball rate is really high and that’s scary in GABP. He’s probably the best bet if you must speculate on a Reds RP but I’m still of the mind to avoid that situation.

image.png.8fba81f959ca3bd380e0bb62d78f7b6a.png

Barlow looks the part of a closer.

• Like 1

Just now, StuckBetweenStations said:

Our boy Heath Hembree is coming in for the 9th with the Reds up 3-2. Sure looks like the Reds want him to be the guy for now...

He sucks! Was hoping for Brach. Brach pitched 3 of last 4 days I wonder if that’s why he’s not getting a chance today? Or is Hembree the guy?

3 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Our boy Heath Hembree is coming in for the 9th with the Reds up 3-2. Sure looks like the Reds want him to be the guy for now...

Both Amir Garrett and Brad Brach were probably unavailable to day because they pitched Thursday and yesterday. But if Hembree closes the door two days in a row, it's likely his job.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Barlow should be coming in for a save too. The Royals are up 3 and have already used Holland, Staumont, Brentz and Zimmer, so there’s really nobody else.

Quick work from Barlow for the save. He’s at least chairman of the committee at this point, if not the outright closer.

It’s taken until July 3rd but that idiot Mike Matheny may have finally figured out that using his best reliever in the 9th inning may actually be a good thing!

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

ump definitely helped him out some but he's at least in the basket of closer options for the reds now

In the Reds' postgame, they were saying that when Antone's healthy, nobody knows where in the game he's going to pitch, so nobody else knows where they're going to pitch either. With Antone out, there are more set roles, and guys are responding. Who knows how much truth is in that but it's something to consider.

He's not suddenly Mariano Rivera, he's probably not even Lucas Sims, but I will say, worse pitchers than Heath Hembree have gone on decent runs (for a little while) as closers...

21 minutes ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

In the Reds' postgame, they were saying that when Antone's healthy, nobody knows where in the game he's going to pitch, so nobody else knows where they're going to pitch either. With Antone out, there are more set roles, and guys are responding. Who knows how much truth is in that but it's something to consider.

He's not suddenly Mariano Rivera, he's probably not even Lucas Sims, but I will say, worse pitchers than Heath Hembree have gone on decent runs (for a little while) as closers...

Basically, whoever hasn't pitched yet in the 9th inning assuming it's a save situation. This closer rotation is crazy at best. I would stay clear of any of them at this point!

1 hour ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Barlow should be coming in for a save too. The Royals are up 3 and have already used Holland, Staumont, Brentz and Zimmer, so there’s really nobody else.

I picked him up immediately after the save. Thanks!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, herschel said:

image.png.8fba81f959ca3bd380e0bb62d78f7b6a.png

Barlow looks the part of a closer.

Barlow SZN

On another note, do we all think McGee is back as lead dog in the SF pen.  Anyone cutting Rogers (SF) for the closers du jour (Barlow, Hembree, Sulser, etc)? 

Edited by swingbatter

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

Barlow SZN

On another note, do we all think McGee is back as lead dog in the SF pen.  Anyone cutting Rogers (SF) for the closers du jour (Barlow, Hembree, Sulser, etc)? 

Yes, and yes. McGee’s been used like a traditional closer lately like he was earlier this year before he hit a slump.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1