NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

28 minutes ago, Caelum said:

Yes, and yes. McGee’s been used like a traditional closer lately like he was earlier this year before he hit a slump.

Definitely, he is gonna get to 30 saves by the end of the year. They were producing a high volume of saves early, and it necessitated handing off some of the load to Rogers. Rogers is still great to own because his rubber arm allows him to pitch 4 of 5 days, 5 of 7 every week, but he doesn't strike out enough to really be a terrific closer for fantasy. Rogers will get some more chances, for sure, but I think Kapler is a shallow manager who wants to get a 30 save season for his veteran guy.

Another, perhaps more important factor is McGee's contract. The Giants got him on a 2-year deal, with a 3rd year option, but none of those performance-bonus clauses typically included in these kinds of deals kick in until 2022. So they have no reason not to maximize every dollar of his $2 million salary this year. Maybe next season, as they have a $4.5 million 3rd year option, but he seems a really solid bet going forward.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Karen-chak getting his 2nd inning of work tonight, trailing in a 3-2 game in Houston, struggling with command and holding runners on base. Clase will definitely be the guy tomorrow and maybe Monday in any save opp.

• Like 1

anyone want to take a stab at ranking the new closers on the scene?  may help people prioritize which ones for pickup if they have limited drop options....

barlow, soria, hembree, suarez, susler?

1 hour ago, swingbatter said:

anyone want to take a stab at ranking the new closers on the scene?  may help people prioritize which ones for pickup if they have limited drop options....

I have it Barlow, Ranger, everyone else

• Like 1

11 hours ago, swingbatter said:

I'd go:

1) Barlow -- best pitcher of the group and best on his team. Holland is trade bait which would clear up the bullpen a bit...Barlow could be a trade piece himself though
2) Suarez -- Girardi likes to have set roles, and Girardi went with him despite Alvarado being available. Has enough talent that he could succeed. 
3) Hembree -- Clear step down in talent, but has the last 2 saves, including two days ago when the entire bullpen pitched. 
4) Sulser -- Good pitcher, but the roles in that bullpen are FAR from clear and the team is REAL bad
5) Soria -- See Sulser, except not a good pitcher

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, jdizzle said:

Brach pitched the 8th and first out of the 9th. Garrett coming in for the final 2 outs 

This dude jumped out of the bullpen like he's some kind of a superhero ready to save the game, and has thrown 6 straight balls, getting booed by the home crowd and needing a visit from his pitching coach mid-AB. He got a gift call on the 2-0 pitch but still gave up a hit to Sogard, and there is no deception in his 95 MPH straight as an arrow fastball, any decent big leaguer can hit it.

Of course he got confident enough against Willson Contreras to mix in some changeups and induce a game-ending double play, because any MLB pitcher should feel competent against Contreras right now. That's about what it takes for this guy to get a save. Acted like he "knew it all along" when the out was made. The Reds deserve this guy, I still hear boos from the hometown crowd towards Garrett after the game ended.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

If you look up NSS implosions, yimi’s line from today would be in there. You see the 4 runs in an inning but 4 hits and 3 BB is probably harder to digest lol

Hoping Robles doesn’t join this discussion, but I have no confidence it won’t..lol

10 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

If you look up NSS implosions, yimi’s line from today would be in there. You see the 4 runs in an inning but 4 hits and 3 BB is probably harder to digest lol

Do you think Yimi is out as closer after today?  I thought he was really close to losing his job in early June, then managed to put together a few good outings.

8 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

Do you think Yimi is out as closer after today?  I thought he was really close to losing his job in early June, then managed to put together a few good outings.

Out after today? I would think not. I think he’ll be closer in Miami til they trade him.

12 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

should probably own bender regardless

Freaking Chapman. Normally a closer wouldn’t singlehandedly destroy your team ERA. But this clowns doing it……<_<

14 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Freaking Chapman. Normally a closer wouldn’t singlehandedly destroy your team ERA. But this clowns doing it……<_<

Outing the rest of your trash pitchers like that………………👍

• Like 1