NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

No. Clase is back in the ninth. It was a good run, Karinchak. Looks like it's Emmanuel's job for now. James will probably get it back in a few days. Hard to say it hasn't been an effective committee. Frustrating, but effective. 

Bad decision by CLE, Karin is their closer I hope they lose

37 minutes ago, Blood Brother said:

Anthony Bender with the easy 1-2-3 inning save against the streaking Dodgers. Showing a glimpse of what could be but doubt this is anything more than Yimi Garcia being unavailable after pitching 2 straight days and throwing 38 pitches yesterday

Still, good to see Bender getting the opp and converting it.

I'd be shocked if they go back to Yimi. Welcome to the Bendermania

On 7/5/2021 at 6:55 AM, Denbo32 said:

AL all star Chapman.

2 hours ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

I swear Clase gives up more infield singles than any pitcher in history 

its amazing

I know it’s a small thing but anyone else expecting/hoping they change that game winning run for TB vs Clase from earned to unearned? It was a fielder’s choice and looked like a good throw gets him by about 10-15 feet. Asking for a friend…

On 7/1/2021 at 11:41 AM, Wytchclt55 said:

Eh not trying to go into this too much but that's not correct at all.  First he couldn't have given up runs in every one of 6 non-save situations because he's given up only 5 runs (4ER) this season. Also a quick look at his game log also goes against this.  Just this month 6/15 vs MIA (entered in 9th, 1-1 game, no runs allowed, got the win) and 6/12 vs CHC (entered in the 7th losing 7-2, no runs allowed).  He's just been straight up really good in all situations never allowing more than 1 in any game.

What do you have to say after witnessing two more non save situations? This guy is literally Dylan Bundy if there is no save at stake.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, collucho said:

What do you have to say after witnessing two more non save situations? This guy is literally Dylan Bundy if there is no save at stake.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here and i did not want to dwell on this other than to clear up the inaccuracies of your post.  Up until the date of my post, he had been elite for the season and he still is good but that wasn't the primary focus of my post.  Even in NSS he's been good.

The point of my post was that you made a statistical claim that was incredibly inaccurate and you cited "off the top of your head" like you were only slightly off.  You said he was 20/20 in saves and in 6 non-save situations he had allowed runs in all of them.  Like I said before he had only allowed 5 runs (4 ER) total for the year.  This is a forum many people use as their primary source of closer information, so accuracy is important and making up things needs to be corrected.  For example, If I've seen DeGrom a total of four different instances for an inning each and in each he gave up a run it would be a poor conclusion for me to claim he's hittable and mediocre at best.  That's basically what you did here and then you posted your own made up stats with it.

You're claim is he's horrible in NSS right? Let's look back (our posts were made before July games so we're going to look at those instead using things that happened after to justify anything): 

April:  pitched in 6 NSS, gave up ZERO runs in those appearances

May:  pitched in 5 NSS, gave up 2 runs (1 ER) in ONE of those situations

June:  pitched in 4 NSS, gave up 1 run in each of TWO of those situations

By my count (and please correct me if I'm wrong as I did my own data collection while at work) he's had 15 NSS and allowed runs in three of those games (his only other run he gave up through June was in a save).  Not even close to the "6 NSS and runs given up in all of them" and not close to being subjectively horrible in NSS.  That was all I was saying in my post.  I don't care if someone says "off the top of my head" and is off by a bit here or there, but you were incredibly inaccurate in all facets.  Through June he had a 0.96 ERA this season.  In NSS situations through June, he pitched 16 innings and his ERA in those appearances is 1.69.  Even if you include this bad start in July, his ERA in NSS is 2.75.

Edit:  Just to add, I literally own him NOWHERE.  Not in one league. I thought this type of year would happen last year and was wrong so I wasn't running to the waiver wire to claim.  He's been elite so far this year.  Not making a prediction for what's to come, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Edited by Wytchclt55
  • Like 1

Yimi is still closing. He threw a ton of pitches Sunday night. *Bender* has a good slider 😳. Pick him up. It's no surprise he got the vulture opportunity with his numbers

I dislike the saves category now, the other side of the coin is demolishing the category with sv+hld but grrrrr. 

31 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here and i did not want to dwell on this other than to clear up the inaccuracies of your post.  Up until the date of my post, he had been elite for the season and he still is good but that wasn't the primary focus of my post.  Even in NSS he's been good.

The point of my post was that you made a statistical claim that was incredibly inaccurate and you cited "off the top of your head" like you were only slightly off.  You said he was 20/20 in saves and in 6 non-save situations he had allowed runs in all of them.  Like I said before he had only allowed 5 runs (4 ER) total for the year.  This is a forum many people use as their primary source of closer information, so accuracy is important and making up things needs to be corrected.  For example, If I've seen DeGrom a total of four different instances for an inning each and in each he gave up a run it would be a poor conclusion for me to claim he's hittable and mediocre at best.  That's basically what you did here and then you posted your own made up stats with it.

You're claim is he's horrible in NSS right? Let's look back (our posts were made before July games so we're going to look at those instead using things that happened after to justify anything): 

April:  pitched in 6 NSS, gave up ZERO runs in those appearances

May:  pitched in 5 NSS, gave up 2 runs (1 ER) in ONE of those situations

June:  pitched in 4 NSS, gave up 1 run in each of TWO of those situations

By my count (and please correct me if I'm wrong as I did my own data collection while at work) he's had 15 NSS and allowed runs in three of those games (his only other run he gave up through June was in a save).  Not even close to the "6 NSS and runs given up in all of them" and not close to being subjectively horrible in NSS.  That was all I was saying in my post.  I don't care if someone says "off the top of my head" and is off by a bit here or there, but you were incredibly inaccurate in all facets.  Through June he had a 0.96 ERA this season.  In NSS situations through June, he pitched 16 innings and his ERA in those appearances is 1.69.  Even if you include this bad start in July, his ERA in NSS is 2.75.

Edit:  Just to add, I literally own him NOWHERE.  Not in one league. I thought this type of year would happen last year and was wrong so I wasn't running to the waiver wire to claim.  He's been elite so far this year.  Not making a prediction for what's to come, I'm just calling a spade a spade.

Yeah I mean you don't need to take it so seriously that you type up an essay. I'm just saying the guy is so much worse in NSS.

15 hours ago, StuckBetweenStations said:

Anyone see who if anyone was warming for the Phillies before they broke the game open?

Found the answer to my own questions -- Girardi says they would have gone with Ranger. 

Girardi's not a committee guy, so it certainly seems like Ranger is the closer right now. Let's hope he can run with it.

• Like 7

Could be some closer fallout with a Kimbrel trade. Closermonkey has Chafin and Tepera next in line but just looking at their ages and contracts I’d assume they’d be out the door, too. Kimbrel going to Houston would likely kill Pressly’s value. I’ve been saying for awhile that I don’t expect Trivino to still be closer on August 1st and I still think that way. He’s done a fantastic job but I wouldn’t trust him closing games in the stretch run or playoffs if I was Oakland. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Romano has been really good for quite a stretch now, thoughts on him ROS?

They’ve figured out how much they can use him and Dolis and Chatwood aren’t making a strong case to move him out of the role. I’d say he’s trending up

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Fwiw Rosenthal has resumed baseball activities and is hoping/aiming for a mid August return for Oakland.

Thx. 

Was hoping for early August tho.

• Like 1