NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

4 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Brach, Hembree and Garrett all pitching in the 9th and the Reds losing seems fitting

lmao!

we learned nothing

the reds best late inning move would be to bench suarez for a defensive replacement

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Does Daniel Bard ever lose his job? Or since it's the Rox, who cares? I mean, he kinda stinks

He's gonna be one of those 26 Save 4.76 ERA 1.55 WHIP closers

Edited by Gumbo_Ghost

Like someone mentioned earlier in this thread, Aroldis is going to get some low leverage work to figure his issues out. Came in mop up duty last night, 9th inning with an 11 run lead. Still proceeded to walk the bases loaded, throw 24 pitches (13 strikes), and look like total crap. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GeorgeCostanza said:

lmao!

we learned nothing

the reds best late inning move would be to bench suarez for a defensive replacement

I mean Hembree is not a drop yet right

3 hours ago, rotoguy74 said:

I mean Hembree is not a drop yet right

1 hour ago, pbjfb said:

Tempted to drop him but those 46 k in 27 ip 

Last night was a little funky, maybe Bell should have just started the 9th with Hembree?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Gumbo_Ghost said:

Does Daniel Bard ever lose his job? Or since it's the Rox, who cares? I mean, he kinda stinks

He's gonna be one of those 26 Save 4.76 ERA 1.55 WHIP closers

I kind of expect this is the floor of his line when the year ends. His midway numbers before the latest stinky outing were like 4.08/1.45 with 4 Ws and 12 Saves, which is good enough with the Ks. I still hope he can get the ratios to around 3.9/1.33 but that's probably the ceiling. It is what it is, he's been a thin value through the first half in a sea of uncertainty. I'd love to compare his numbers to some of the Cincy, Arizona, etc. situations I've avoided by staying patient with him/or picking him up where he was dropped. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

On 7/5/2021 at 10:44 PM, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Robles in for the save facing the top of the Sox lineup..uggh 

Really seems they are thrusting him into the saves spots to increase his value for a trade...thats a couple million off the books if they can find a taker, and its pretty obvious Rogers is the better pitcher, as he was dynamite in setting up for Robles before with 4ks in 1.2 IP. Does anyone else want to see them trade both guys, with Rogers going to the Giants to team up with his brother? That would be cool to see, so I'm putting it out there in hopes it happens.

6 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Barlow in the 7th. He's got the stuff to close but they're hellbent on making it a committee. 

Of course he melts down and blows it. 3 runs (2 earned), and blows the win for Singer. 

Hader blows the save with a solo shot to Jose Peraza. Dude isn't really a power hitter but if you're going to throw a major leaguer a meatball I guess you can't be surprised with that result.

16 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Of course he melts down and blows it. 3 runs (2 earned), and blows the win for Singer. 

I hate Matheny. It’s a sad day when I’d prefer Gabe Kapler managing my favorite team’s bullpen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Hader blows the save with a solo shot to Jose Peraza. Dude isn't really a power hitter but if you're going to throw a major leaguer a meatball I guess you can't be surprised with that result.

1st HR he's given up this year, and of course someone is going to complain about it😆 but he is about to get a vulture W out of it if Suter can handle the 10th.

Edited by Richard Kimble

6 minutes ago, ChrisChinMcCaffrey said:

Barlow got blown up and it wasn't in the 9th. Done with him. Whip wasn't too nice anyway.

Lol...he's having every bit as good a season as Alex Reyes, just doesn't have the saves. Drop at your own peril. 

Meanwhile, Soto is in the 8th inning with the bases loaded after inheriting a mess and a 5-2 lead. It was looking much like a committee with Cisnero (who pitched a 1 H, 1K 7th) but does anyone else think that Soto's being named an All-Star might merit removal of the asterisk? It kind of forces Hinch to close with him at least for this week, and if he performs I think he runs with the job. He's in a tough spot, but he worked around a bases loaded walk to Gallo and got out of it by striking out my 2 catcher touts Hicks/Heim. Lets see if he gets the 9th...

21 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

1st HR he's given up this year, and of course someone is going to complain about it😆 but he is about to get a vulture W out of it if Suter can handle the 10th.

So much for that, Suter has 8 wins but has blown all 5 saves this year lol

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Lol...he's having every bit as good a season as Alex Reyes, just doesn't have the saves. Drop at your own peril. 

What peril? That isn't high praise. Alex Reyes without the saves wouldn't be worth throwing on the watch list, never mind actually owning, in most formats. Reyes has a great 1.52 era, but a 1.31 whip is ugly. If Barlow isn't taking most of the saves he probably isn't worth keeping around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

What peril? That isn't high praise. Alex Reyes without the saves wouldn't be worth throwing on the watch list, never mind actually owning, in most formats. Reyes has a great 1.52 era, but a 1.31 whip is ugly. If Barlow isn't taking most of the saves he probably isn't worth keeping around.

The Ks are absolutely elite and the ERA matters. Barlow's having a better year than Reyes honestly, and if you are at the point of having him on your team, who are you dropping him for out there that's better? Good luck with a Cincy pitcher, Ranger Suarez, the Rays flavor of the week, etc. Matheny's not as skittish as Kevin Cash when it comes to closers, and I'd probably rather have Barlow than Bard ROS even though I've been saying Bard's got the job. So I think if someone is lucky to have scooped Barlow amongst all the marginal crappy options there have been, its silly to drop after a 2 ER inning. The quality of his innings alone make him a set and forget reliever; he would probably rank near the top 10 if he were "guaranteed" as the full-time closer.

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

The Ks are absolutely elite and the ERA matters. Barlow's having a better year than Reyes honestly, and if you are at the point of having him on your team, who are you dropping him for out there that's better? Good luck with a Cincy pitcher, Ranger Suarez, the Rays flavor of the week, etc. Matheny's not as skittish as Kevin Cash when it comes to closers, and I'd probably rather have Barlow than Bard ROS even though I've been saying Bard's got the job. So I think if someone is lucky to have scooped Barlow amongst all the marginal crappy options there have been, its silly to drop after a 2 ER inning. The quality of his innings alone make him a set and forget reliever; he would probably rank near the top 10 if he were "guaranteed" as the full-time closer.

Looking at his advanced stats...he's 24th among RP in K%-BB%, which is pretty damn good. (Though his BB% is quite high.) One fun quirk is that his ERA and FIP (before today) match exactly, 1.99. So yeah, he seems legit!

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Reds trying to blow it with Hendrix and Warren loading the bases but barely getting Dozier to leave it 4ft short of grand slam territory. 

Amir is hot for the 9th. 

Edited by Zeezee
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Zeezee said:

Reds trying to blow it with Hendrix and Warren loading the bases but barely getting Dozier to leave it 4ft short of grand slam territory. 

Amir is hot for the 9th. 

I might as well bookmark the Reds on my MLB package, their late innings are always must-see TV

Just now, StuckBetweenStations said:

I might as well bookmark the Reds on my MLB package, their late innings are always must-see TV

Lorenzen back possibly this weekend will make things even more interesting. Then Sims + Antone..

30 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

This all comes down to format of your league. Ratios are nice, but if you're in a saves only league it's hard to roster relievers who don't snag saves. There are lots of relief pitchers who can give you good ratios and strikeouts. If Barlow is going to be have closing responsibilities (either solo or shared), he's likely worth hanging onto. If he's out as closer, it's really hard to hold onto the guy in a lot of leagues.

• Like 2