NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Hembree is on for the save opp!

What a throw by .... Mike Freeman?! To get speedy Whit to nail the save. 

Reds most comeback wins in NL in 2021.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Hembree is on for the save opp!

He wasn't overpowering by any means but got it done 1-2-3. He's clearly their option 1A right now. Who knows (A) if that holds as their injured pitchers return or (B) he can keep performing, but as I've said before, worse pitchers than Heath Hembree have had decent runs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

For anyone still holding out hope for Rosenthal this year, he needs hip surgery and will not return before 2022.

Crying Black Guy, meme, sad

• Like 1

Trying to figure out the MIA situation. Is it a committee - or is Bender just being used because Garcia has pitched 3 out of 4 days. Also have to feel like Garcia is a prime trade candidate. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Trying to figure out the MIA situation. Is it a committee - or is Bender just being used because Garcia has pitched 3 out of 4 days. Also have to feel like Garcia is a prime trade candidate. 

Correct, Bender is a stash in hope of a likely trade, he has not taken over. Garcia's a candidate for trade, of course no legit contender is going to use him as a closer, certainly he'd become a setup option if he were on the move.

Edited by Richard Kimble

3 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Hard to say for sure. It’s possible if he converted they could’ve let him run with it. Whatever trade value Garcia had a month ago has just about been flushed down the drain with his June and July. I can’t imagine any contending team feeling confident trading for him to pitch high leverage spots down the stretch. I think there’s a pretty good chance Bender is the guy pretty soon and an equally good chance Yimi has no value come August 1st in saves only leagues.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Still got 3 Ks and walked off with a W...btw that was Aguilar's first HR at home this season.

You are an eternal optimist - love it!

1 minute ago, Richard Kimble said:

Gotta be, I'm a Cubs fan 😆

Remember the video-game commercial of you guys winning it - soon before you actually did?  That is something to hold onto!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, meh2 said:

Hard to say for sure. It’s possible if he converted they could’ve let him run with it. Whatever trade value Garcia had a month ago has just about been flushed down the drain with his June and July. I can’t imagine any contending team feeling confident trading for him to pitch high leverage spots down the stretch. I think there’s a pretty good chance Bender is the guy pretty soon and an equally good chance Yimi has no value come August 1st in saves only leagues.

I think this is spot on, so it may be necessary to add Bender tonight because there will be a rush to get him somewhat, but be prepared to wait those 3 weeks and suffer through a save-less 15 innings with like, 24 Ks and 2 ERs allowed.

• Like 1

Trying to move up in the saves category, traded for Chapman.  Have up Soto in the deal along with other pieces. Guess who had more saves over the last two weeks since the trade.  Guess I need to trade for another AL closer

Ryan Pressly has been awesome this year. Really hope he doesn’t lose his role to a possible Kimbrel trade, however from the Astros’ side it may make too much sense. Their middle inning bullpen has been sub par this year, and they are definitely going to be candidates to upgrade at the deadline. Pressly in the 8th, Kimbrel in the 9th would be elite (however sad for us Pressly owners)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Ryan Pressly has been awesome this year. Really hope he doesn’t lose his role to a possible Kimbrel trade, however from the Astros’ side it may make too much sense. Their middle inning bullpen has been sub par this year, and they are definitely going to be candidates to upgrade at the deadline. Pressly in the 8th, Kimbrel in the 9th would be elite (however sad for us Pressly owners)

When I sat down a few weeks ago to write my bullpen trade rumor thread, I speculated they would make such a move, agreed. I think it will happen, if not Kimbrel another elite reliever will be heading their way and Pressly owners will be disappointed when he goes back to pitching the 8th. Nothing you can do, really.