NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 July Closer Thread

Posted (edited)
48 minutes ago, sasnumberonefan said:

Ryan Pressly has been awesome this year. Really hope he doesn’t lose his role to a possible Kimbrel trade, however from the Astros’ side it may make too much sense. Their middle inning bullpen has been sub par this year, and they are definitely going to be candidates to upgrade at the deadline. Pressly in the 8th, Kimbrel in the 9th would be elite (however sad for us Pressly owners)

Wouldn’t it cost Houston less to trade for a solid middle reliever and keep pressly as is?  Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Edited by herschel

1 minute ago, herschel said:

Wouldn’t it cost Houston less to trade for a solid middle reliever and keep pressly as is?  Or is that just wishful thinking on my part?

Very wishful 

9 minutes ago, herschel said:

Probably. And they do only have about 3 million before they hit luxury tax issues. But they're probably aiming for who is going to help them win it all, and less for who is the most cost effective. If they're trying to maximize their odds of winning a piece of metal this year, Kimbrel or another elite closer would make a bigger impact than some middle reliever. Their core is starting to leave via free agency so it's basically now or never. 

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Got Fleeced? said:

If cubs move kimbrel. Who you guys thinks takes over?

I’ve watched about 90% of Cubs games this year and it would probably be Tepera.  Clouding the picture is that Tepera was recently placed on the IL, but is set to come off either tomorrow or this weekend.  He might pitch in a few lower leverage situations coming off the IL, but he’s handled the 8th (and 9th when Kimbrel was unavailable) pretty damn good so far this year.  

Edited by swingbatter
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Got Fleeced? said:

If cubs move kimbrel. Who you guys thinks takes over?

Just now, swingbatter said:

I’ve watched about 90% of Cubs games this year and it would probably be Tepera.  Clouding the picture is that Tepera was just placed on the IL, but is set to come off this weekend.  He might pitch in a few lower leverage situations coming off the IL, but he’s handled the 8th (and 9th when Kimbrel was unavailable) pretty damn good so far this year.  

Tepera and Brothers have both been straight solid this year, but the problem is that in the scenarios in which Kimbrel is traded, Brothers and Tepera are likely to be traded as well. Both are on cheap one-year deals and would be prime targets for contenders on a budget (namely: all of them).

Also worth noting that Tepera's injury was not arm related, so a little less of a concern coming off of the IL.

Realistically and based on how the past couple of weeks have gone for the Cubs, Eric Sogard might be the leading candidate to finish games ROS. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Kevin Barker said:

Damn dirty Deikman just got the save after Trivino pitched to the top of the order in the 8th.

Good now gonna offer him up to my league mates as a closer LOL

29 minutes ago, Rabbit Maranville said:

Tepera and Brothers have both been straight solid this year, but the problem is that in the scenarios in which Kimbrel is traded, Brothers and Tepera are likely to be traded as well. Both are on cheap one-year deals and would be prime targets for contenders on a budget (namely: all of them).

Also worth noting that Tepera's injury was not arm related, so a little less of a concern coming off of the IL.

Realistically and based on how the past couple of weeks have gone for the Cubs, Eric Sogard might be the leading candidate to finish games ROS. 

Quite spot on, especially the Sogard call...in all seriousness, Tepera's a good stash if you can put him on IL right now, just to beat the mad dash if something happens before he returns, its kind of a free insurance flier without wasting a roster spot. I agree if the fire sale is on, all 3 could go, and beyond them, its hard to predict; Tommy Nance and Dan Winkler were pitching quite well but have recently regressed, and some of the other guys like Keegan Thompson, IL'd Justin Steele, have interesting stuff but are likelier to get stretched out and have a shot in the rotation for the AAA Chicago Cubs in these scenarios. So really for fantasy purposes, only try to stash Chafin or Tepera, but be prepared for a committee situation or someone else unheralded to emerge. I've been meaning to bump my Bullpen Trade watch discussion as the rumor mill has circled around Kimbrel this week, so as not to clog up the closer thread. Will post a "verified rumor" there next. 

12 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

Quite spot on, especially the Sogard call...in all seriousness, Tepera's a good stash if you can put him on IL right now, just to beat the mad dash if something happens before he returns, its kind of a free insurance flier without wasting a roster spot. I agree if the fire sale is on, all 3 could go, and beyond them, its hard to predict; Tommy Nance and Dan Winkler were pitching quite well but have recently regressed, and some of the other guys like Keegan Thompson, IL'd Justin Steele, have interesting stuff but are likelier to get stretched out and have a shot in the rotation for the AAA Chicago Cubs in these scenarios. So really for fantasy purposes, only try to stash Chafin or Tepera, but be prepared for a committee situation or someone else unheralded to emerge. I've been meaning to bump my Bullpen Trade watch discussion as the rumor mill has circled around Kimbrel this week, so as not to clog up the closer thread. Will post a "verified rumor" there next. 

This will likely be a tough bullpen to nail down if they end up as sellers. I’ll throw in 2 other names to add to the mix - Rowan Wick if he gets healthy soon and Ben Leeper, who’s on the verge of a call up.

• Like 1

That's how you do it Taylor Rogers. Six pitches, all strikes, clean inning with a K.

Refreshing after the horrors of the crap closer chase. Jose Alvarado can't get through a batter in six pitches, much less an inning.

Matheny has pulled this twice now. 

Staumont lights out as closer, strings a few saves together,

Matheny starts pitching him before the 9th and he starts sucking. 

Barlow lights out as closer, strings a few saves together, Matheny starts pitching him before the 9th and he starts sucking. 

Now the Royals have no reliable options to close out games instead of letting either of the younger guys (first Staumont and now Barlow) try to establish himself in the closer role when he was having success.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Upgrayedd said:

Bender pitching in the 7th down a run and giving up two

Drafting Hader 1.01 next year and moving on

Yimi got the official vote of confidence from Mattingly today, he said he's still the closer going forward. Some regard that as a jinx, and Bender could still get the job either via trade or natural course of things, just not likely until August. Its probably good if he's Hader 1.01, that his price won't be as high as say, Karinchak was this year.