NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Give Best Ball Scoring A Try This Season

First of all, I'm not talking about Draft and Hold, where there are no transactions, I'm merely talking about a regular league with trades, waivers, etc; but instead of the standard setting your lineup scoring, you use best ball scoring.

I think that people don't consider best ball scoring because most of the times when we hear 'best ball' we think of not having any transactions. But I think more leagues should switch over to best ball scoring for several reasons:

Best Ball Scoring Rewards Roster Depth
The team with the strongest team all up and down their roster will do the best, rather than just the team that has a few studs

Best Ball Scoring Increases Trade Activity
If you're in a league where you start two RBs, and you have two studs, you don't really care about the rest of your RBs. You probably wouldn't entertain a trade for another. But in best ball since anyone on your roster could score any week, you're always open to trading for any position.
With normal scoring, most teams are making deals for the end of the roster guys, unless it's to secure a handcuff. But in best ball, there's far more tweaking needed at the end of the roster, which increases activity.

Best Ball Eliminates Who-To-Start Decisions
This is maybe the best thing about best ball. If you have 3 mediocre WR3's, you're always agonizing over which one to start, and of course we usually get it wrong. With best ball all 3 are in play and you just get the best one each week. Which veers into my next point:

Best Ball Makes Watching Your Players More Fun
Let's say your weekly 3rd WR decision comes down to Samuel/Parker/Shenault. Normally, you'd have to pick one and only root for him to do well. And also, you'll be pissed if one you didn't start does well. It's annoying. But in best ball, you get to watch all 3 of them and root for all 3 to score big. And the neat thing about this is when all 3 do ok, but then you get a big game from your 6th WR, Parris Cambell.

This can't be understated. One of the main things I like about fantasy is watching all the games and getting excited when my guys score. With best ball, you basically double the number of players you can watch and root for each week. Last year one highlight I remember is watching a Colts/Titans Thursday night game and watching two guys I wouldn't have started (Hines and Pittman) have big games and start my week off great. If I was playing regular fantasy scoring, I would have been dismayed that I didn't start them.

Best Ball Makes It So That More Players Have Draft Value.
In standard scoring where you only start two RBs, a guy like JD McKissic has very little value. No one is starting him over Zeke. But in best ball, if you already have Zeke and another good RB, you still want to take McKissic because he gives you a decent PPR floor if Zeke gets hurt one week or has one of those 12 rushes for 34 games.

The same can kind of be said for those WRs like Desean Jackson who tend to hit big one week and then disappear for a few weeks. He's barely draftable in standard, but he's a decent 6th/7th WR in best ball.

Epilogue
I currently run 5 leagues, and have been commish-ing since the late 1980s. As soon as we started best ball scoring in one of my leagues, most of my long-time owners wanted to switch over in the other leagues. I now have only one league where we set lineups.

Also, the most common starting lineup set up I have for my best ball leagues is one QB, two RB, three WR, one TE, and TWO flex (RB/WR/TE) positions. This once again really rewards roster depth and just amplifies the points I made above.

So, don't be scared away from the misconception that 'best ball' means no transactions and at least consider it this season for one of your leagues. I'm telling ya, you and your league will love it.

• Like 1

Just now, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Takes the thinking out of it.

the sit/start decisions is what separates the men from the boys.

THIS ^ 

ya know, i lost in the 'chip last year because i started the wrong wr ... would've won with best ball, but no thank you. 

it's part of the thrill and it's all the juice - i wouldn't have it any other way - WIN OR LOSE.

no regrets!

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

I think it requires a lot more thinking and effort to manage an entire roster from top to bottom than it does to make a decision on a 3rd WR that's basically a coin flip anyway. 

After you've played best ball for a bit, you start to realize how important your decisions are regarding the 10th - 15th players on your roster and how they effect your outcomes. 

It doesn't take the thinking out of it, it requires a different and more challenging form of thinking. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

I Ain't Reading All That | Know Your Meme

If my smooth brain know how to post gifs I would copy this and post it again. But since I don’t, I’ll just quote the coolest Beatles. 

• Like 1

I like best ball as kind of a warmup for the season since I'll usually do drafts that start well before my main leagues.   Also, it's low stress since I'll usually do $10 or $20 teams at most, nothing crazy or that i'll miss. 

But, i don't think it's superior to the traditional format at all.   The action is the juice.   What's the fun in watching your best ball team have a big week rather than beating your buddy by 8 points when your QB 40 burgers on Sunday night?    When you win a best ball league, you most likely do it by building up a big lead and cruising it home in the final 2-3 weeks.  Boooring.   

I also dismiss that "I can't lose if i have the best team" is an advantage.  Volatility is way more exciting.    Your best ball wins are easily forgettable.   You pull off a traditional win when you finish the year with the 7th most points and come from behind on Monday night?   Lasts forever baby.   

11 hours ago, Andypro said:

I think it requires a lot more thinking and effort to manage an entire roster from top to bottom than it does to make a decision on a 3rd WR that's basically a coin flip anyway. 

After you've played best ball for a bit, you start to realize how important your decisions are regarding the 10th - 15th players on your roster and how they effect your outcomes. 

It doesn't take the thinking out of it, it requires a different and more challenging form of thinking. 

Sorry, but it's not a more challenging form of thinking. As for your points in the novel up top, I want the strategy of selecting my lineup each week...I want to feel the risk of starting the wrong guy...I want to make that flip at 11:59 am, praying that it was the right move...I want to feel the joy of conquering the world because I made the right choices...and I want to feel the disappointment and anger when I make the wrong choice. 

I don’t know the leagues you were in, but my main league has a ton of trading. 

Deepest roster isn’t only rewarded in best ball. It’s ridiculous to suggest such. I won a league last year precisely because I had the deepest roster and was able to withstand Covid and injuries better than any other team. 

I have plenty of fun watching my guys, and best ball isn’t going to change that. It’s not going to increase my enjoyment of fantasy football...it’s going to decrease it because of some of the things I enjoy about fantasy football, mentioned above. 

Epilogue: you speak as if best ball is hands down the best way to play. And if you like it, super. If my league swapped, I’d drop out. I don’t think it’s best...not by a longshot. It’s lazy/easy fantasy football to me because you don’t have to make difficult lineup decisions week-in, week-out. Just sit back and let your players make the decisions for you. Nah, no thanks. Not for me. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BrianM said:

What's the fun in watching your best ball team have a big week rather than beating your buddy by 8 points when your QB 40 burgers on Sunday night?    When you win a best ball league, you most likely do it by building up a big lead and cruising it home in the final 2-3 weeks. 

Yea, best ball scoring is NOT the same as draft and hold with no transactions. I thought I made that clear. 

To me, the argument of best ball vs. traditional H2H is purely subjective and a matter of personal preference.  Just like in fantasy baseball or fantasy basketball, the eternal argument of roto vs. H2H.  Best ball is the equivalent of roto in baseball / basketball and is preferred by some due to its low volatitlity.  In best ball scoring is cumulative so by the end of the season, the best team always wins, as opposed to the luckiest team.  H2H is preferred by those who prefer the adrenaline rush of weekly matchups and have a high tolerance for the fluke factor that accompanies weekly wins and losses.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Andypro said:

Yea, best ball scoring is NOT the same as draft and hold with no transactions. I thought I made that clear. 

Umm..........duh?   That wasn't my point dude.     

Point was.........they're different, but IMO, one way is much, much more fun.  I play best ball often, I understand what it is and didn't need this fairly obvious clarifying statement.   

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, BrianM said:

Umm..........duh?   That wasn't my point dude. 

Sure sounded like it. 

What's the fun in watching your best ball team have a big week rather than beating your buddy by 8 points when your QB 40 burgers on Sunday night? 

Uh, with best ball scoring you can absolutely beat your buddy by 8 points because your QB scores 40 on Sunday night. Why is that any different? Last year I thought I had a good chance to win my final until Davante Adams happened on Sunday night, just like thousands of other leagues. 

When you win a best ball league, you most likely do it by building up a big lead and cruising it home in the final 2-3 weeks. 

Again, why would you think this happens in best ball? The only reason I can think of is that you are conflating best ball scoring, which I'm advocating, with draft and hold leagues that determine their champion by year long total points. No, in all my best ball leagues we have a regular season to determine the playoff teams, and then we have fantasy playoffs just like most other leagues. 

Once more, just to be clear, the ONLY thing I'm advocating here is changing your SCORING SYSTEM where you determine points each week, without having to change anything else about your league.  

Edited by Andypro

2 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

In best ball scoring is cumulative so by the end of the season, the best team always wins, as opposed to the luckiest team. 

No, best ball scoring does not have to be cumulative. That's leagues that call themselves 'best ball leagues' that also use draft and hold and total points. 

In my best ball leagues we have a regular season full of wins and losses and then playoffs just like every other league. The only difference I'm advocating here is to change the way you add up the points each week. Nothing else. 

I swear most people didn't read this before commenting. 

I honestly didn't read your original post and didn't realize what you were poking at.    My mistake, owning it.   To me best ball was always no touch, no transactions, draft and forget.........obviously you can do it your way as well.  

So on that note......... I do prefer the starter decision format, but there's a good bit of strategy that you can take advantage of in the best ball format as well that has my wheels spinning.   

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:34 AM, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

the sit/start decisions is what separates the men from the boys.

Curious as to how drafting for depth and also managing a roster of 18 weekly, rather than a roster of 9 (typical starting lineup), takes the thinking out of it?

On 7/1/2021 at 11:02 PM, Flyman75 said:

Sorry, but it's not a more challenging form of thinking. As for your points in the novel up top, I want the strategy of selecting my lineup each week...I want to feel the risk of starting the wrong guy...I want to make that flip at 11:59 am, praying that it was the right move...I want to feel the joy of conquering the world because I made the right choices...and I want to feel the disappointment and anger when I make the wrong choice. 

I don’t know the leagues you were in, but my main league has a ton of trading. 

Deepest roster isn’t only rewarded in best ball. It’s ridiculous to suggest such. I won a league last year precisely because I had the deepest roster and was able to withstand Covid and injuries better than any other team. 

I have plenty of fun watching my guys, and best ball isn’t going to change that. It’s not going to increase my enjoyment of fantasy football...it’s going to decrease it because of some of the things I enjoy about fantasy football, mentioned above. 

Epilogue: you speak as if best ball is hands down the best way to play. And if you like it, super. If my league swapped, I’d drop out. I don’t think it’s best...not by a longshot. It’s lazy/easy fantasy football to me because you don’t have to make difficult lineup decisions week-in, week-out. Just sit back and let your players make the decisions for you. Nah, no thanks. Not for me. 

If a QB goes down on the first play from scrimmage and is out, does that NFL team play the rest of the game without a QB? Injuries are part of the game, but backups come in. Best Ball incorporates a similar approach to the game. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:04 AM, Andypro said:

First of all, I'm not talking about Draft and Hold, where there are no transactions, I'm merely talking about a regular league with trades, waivers, etc; but instead of the standard setting your lineup scoring, you use best ball scoring.

I think that people don't consider best ball scoring because most of the times when we hear 'best ball' we think of not having any transactions. But I think more leagues should switch over to best ball scoring for several reasons:

Best Ball Scoring Rewards Roster Depth
The team with the strongest team all up and down their roster will do the best, rather than just the team that has a few studs

Best Ball Scoring Increases Trade Activity
If you're in a league where you start two RBs, and you have two studs, you don't really care about the rest of your RBs. You probably wouldn't entertain a trade for another. But in best ball since anyone on your roster could score any week, you're always open to trading for any position.
With normal scoring, most teams are making deals for the end of the roster guys, unless it's to secure a handcuff. But in best ball, there's far more tweaking needed at the end of the roster, which increases activity.

Best Ball Eliminates Who-To-Start Decisions
This is maybe the best thing about best ball. If you have 3 mediocre WR3's, you're always agonizing over which one to start, and of course we usually get it wrong. With best ball all 3 are in play and you just get the best one each week. Which veers into my next point:

Best Ball Makes Watching Your Players More Fun
Let's say your weekly 3rd WR decision comes down to Samuel/Parker/Shenault. Normally, you'd have to pick one and only root for him to do well. And also, you'll be pissed if one you didn't start does well. It's annoying. But in best ball, you get to watch all 3 of them and root for all 3 to score big. And the neat thing about this is when all 3 do ok, but then you get a big game from your 6th WR, Parris Cambell.

This can't be understated. One of the main things I like about fantasy is watching all the games and getting excited when my guys score. With best ball, you basically double the number of players you can watch and root for each week. Last year one highlight I remember is watching a Colts/Titans Thursday night game and watching two guys I wouldn't have started (Hines and Pittman) have big games and start my week off great. If I was playing regular fantasy scoring, I would have been dismayed that I didn't start them.

Best Ball Makes It So That More Players Have Draft Value.
In standard scoring where you only start two RBs, a guy like JD McKissic has very little value. No one is starting him over Zeke. But in best ball, if you already have Zeke and another good RB, you still want to take McKissic because he gives you a decent PPR floor if Zeke gets hurt one week or has one of those 12 rushes for 34 games.

The same can kind of be said for those WRs like Desean Jackson who tend to hit big one week and then disappear for a few weeks. He's barely draftable in standard, but he's a decent 6th/7th WR in best ball.

Epilogue
I currently run 5 leagues, and have been commish-ing since the late 1980s. As soon as we started best ball scoring in one of my leagues, most of my long-time owners wanted to switch over in the other leagues. I now have only one league where we set lineups.

Also, the most common starting lineup set up I have for my best ball leagues is one QB, two RB, three WR, one TE, and TWO flex (RB/WR/TE) positions. This once again really rewards roster depth and just amplifies the points I made above.

So, don't be scared away from the misconception that 'best ball' means no transactions and at least consider it this season for one of your leagues. I'm telling ya, you and your league will love it.

I'm a long time Commish of a league and you've hit on pretty much every benefit of best ball leagues. I'll also add to this list the benefit of injury. If your RB goes down on the 1st play if the game, best ball will allow you to "substitute" another player into your lineup. NFL teams don't stop playing without a QB or a RB when he goes down on the first play. Fantasy teams shouldn't have to get a 0 for that slot either.

I can tell by some of the comments in this thread that people have either never played best ball before or have no clue how a best ball league is actually set up and run. Or how much MORE strategy and thinking is actually involved in managing a best ball team. 

• Like 2

On 7/1/2021 at 11:02 PM, Flyman75 said:

Again, you're actually managing a roster of 18 weekly as opposed to only 9 (or whatever your full roster/starting lineup consists of). That same "risk of starting the wrong guy" applies in best ball as well. But instead of deciding over a starting lineup of 9, your managing your ENTIRE bench/roster of 18 weekly by adding/dropping guys.