NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Vidal Brujan 2021 Outlook

Seems pretty official from Rays beat writer. 

Real good prospect. Even when the average dipped, K/BB is solid and should provide SBs and a little pop. Keeper/dynasty leagues especially excited.

The question will of course be how long he’ll be up for. But an exciting prospect. Here we go! 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Some irony in this whole situation. I just acquired Margot, but have had Brujan stashed since Kelenic got the call. It's a bittersweet situation but I'm actually happy.

Is he expected to play the OF? (I would almost assume that's where they plan to play him.) He will likely gain eligibility fast, especially if he plays both games of the double-dip tomorrow. 

It should be interesting to see how playing time shakes out. I think he will need to produce pretty well out of the gate, and I don't know how long his leash will be (extent of the injury or potentially less).... In any event, I'm extremely excited by his callup. If nothing else, from a non-fantasy standpoint, it's exciting to have players like Brujan in the league.

Edited by nlm

Posted (edited)

I'm not worrying about Margot for now... Hamstrings are difficult injuries. If you're able to add him, you take the dive. It's pretty obvious. Whether or not he hits will dictate whether or not he stays up.  I also think if he shows the ability to play all over the field and his defense stands up, that will obviously help, too.

As for where he plays in the lineup, if he hits, I could see him sliding into a super-utility role for them once Margot is back. IF/OF and gives everyone a rest day. Something like that. But he is going to have to play well during this stint. He also will need to show he can handle the OF and IF as well, as I mentioned above.

Definitely worth adding, and for those of you who are stashing him like I've been for months, let's just sit back and (hope we can) enjoy the ride..

Edited by nlm

33 minutes ago, StartYourStuds said:

I want him to play well.. but he’s batting .250 in AAA.. do we really expect him to immediately start making an impact? I have my doubts. 

He had one horrific stretch. Gotta look at the entire picture. 
11.6 BB%/15.7 K% and basically walks as much as he Ks throughout his minor league career. .272 BABIP (basically a .320 guy with his speed) is partly why his average is .259.  
He has the profile of a really good hitter.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nlm said:

Some irony in this whole situation. I just acquired Margot, but have had Brujan stashed since Kelenic got the call. It's a bittersweet situation but I'm actually happy

Cool story bro!

Let's also remember Brujan has plus plus speed.  In his last 270 games in MiLB he has 118 SB.  He had 48 steals in 99 games in 2019 alone. If he can get to 15 HRs per season at the MLB level, he could be an elite 5x5 fantasy contributor.  Giddy up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

He’s hitting 250 in AAA and doesn’t have a plus hit tool.  I’m expecting something like 230 AVG with minimal power and a ton of steals 

Actually, Brujan is known for having a plus hit tool. His hit tool is valued at 60, which is considered "plus." And his elite wheels should create a lot of infield hits, boosting his average even higher than just another plus hitter with no speed.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Actually, Brujan is known for having a plus hit tool. His hit tool is valued at 60, which is considered "plus." And his elite wheels should create a lot of infield hits, boosting his average even higher than just another plus hitter with no speed.

Fangraphs has it as a 50 which is meh 

Also if someone can’t hit above 250 in AAA that would b pretty pathetic for a plus hit tool ngl 

6 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Also if someone can’t hit above 250 in AAA that would b pretty pathetic for a plus hit tool ngl 

Most sites have him listed with a 60 hit tool, including MLB pipeline. Fangraphs, as wonderful as it is, does not often update its tool grades. 

9 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

50/65

And you keep saying .250 but he’s not. It’s also 60 games. 

25 minutes ago, Baseball Batman said:

Most sites have him listed with a 60 hit tool, including MLB pipeline. Fangraphs, as wonderful as it is, does not often update its tool grades. 

I don't really trust any websites for prospect ranking besides fangraphs and prospectlive bc of track record.  

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

50/65

And you keep saying .250 but he’s not. It’s also 60 games. 

the 65 is what they expect the future to be.  50 is what it is now.

The last time he hit over 266 was in A ball.  He's struggled with his hit tool in AA and AAA now.  So I think expecting anything better in the majors is wistful thinking.