NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Vidal Brujan 2021 Outlook

30 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

You left out his R and RBI, at least post accurately. You don't seem to understand that if a player gets just one run and one RBI every other game, they are very valuable. 2-7 is a fine small sample so let's see what the next game brings shall we? His speed should be his biggest asset overall.  

2-7?

He was 1-6. 

He said he was 1-6 so he did post accurately. If you want to add he had a run and rbi, that's fine, but don't call him out to post accualrately. He did and you didn't.  

Posted (edited)

2nd half league winner prediction contest, who else is up there for nomination with Brujan and Durran? Haha. A guy can dream. Regardless of 1/6 .167 it was a great debut, that defensive play will go a long way to keeping him in the lineup. Love his intensity too when he roped that rbi and stole a base. 

Edited by loro1991

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, fbplayer03 said:

2-7?

He was 1-6. 

He said he was 1-6 so he did post accurately. If you want to add he had a run and rbi, that's fine, but don't call him out to post accualrately. He did and you didn't.  

I'm saying if he had one more AB it could be 2-7, perhaps I wasn't clear; the original post was inaccurate in any case-which is the point, it confuses the whole thing just to say he went 1-6 without mentioning the counting stats. If that 1 were a grand slam HR, big difference. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
On 7/7/2021 at 4:20 PM, Fbaseballgod said:

Fangraphs making one mistake/misjudge on a player from 3 years ago isnt the grand point you seem to think it is.  Want me to do some digging and find the dozens and dozens of correct calls over the past 5 years?

One mistake?
From the top of my head try Victor Robles.
Or Gavin Lux. 60/70 game power?
Nick Senzel?
They make more mistakes than you realize.

And don't even try to imagine what I seem to think, because you will be always wrong. Exactly like you are wrong now.

Yeah you do that. Find those that "everyone" else predicted too, if that makes you feel better.

Edited by JCD
  • Like 1

Right now Fangraphs has 6 guys in the minors with 80 power, one of which is a career minor leaguer, another 8 players with 80 speed, another 9 guys with 80 grade arms... Scouts only consider 1 player in baseball to have an 80 grade tool, that's how rare is is supposed to be, meanwhile FG hands them out like candy, to non-prospect minor leaguers none the less.

I maintain they are trash for scouting grades, I don't know how they generate them but there's no chance they actually put eyes on guys or have the expertise/connections like Baseball America and they certainly do not have the clout or long running experience in prospecting as BA. Fangraphs has devolved into a statistical website with some blogging -- their main talent that got them notoriety left long ago, and they never really did prospect scouting to begin with, they are statistical analysis/blogging.

I'd honestly take MLB Pipeline over FG and that's not saying much... FG also tagged Acuna as 55 speed, which is sorry of inexplicable for such a can't miss high profile guy... But picking individual grades isn't really productive, they just don't really have the infrastructure for scouting, they are a data site. Maybe they use data for grades and that's the issue. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JCD said:

One mistake?
From the top of my head try Victor Robles.
Or Gavin Lux. 60/70 game power?
Nick Senzel?
They make more mistakes than you realize.

And don't even try to imagine what I seem to think, because you will be always wrong. Exactly like you are wrong now.

Yeah you do that. Find those that "everyone" else predicted too, if that makes you feel better.

I think you're trying too hard to be contrarian here, Yes prospects fail sometimes. But 80 grade speed is a lot more objective to scout and grade than power or hit tool, which also take time to develop into. Gavin Lux/Senzel and his injuries are hardly fair to judge as finished products. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, StevieStats said:

I maintain they are trash for scouting grades, I don't know how they generate them but there's no chance they actually put eyes on guys

You have no idea how they do it, but you know with absolute certainty that they don't watch any games? Pretty weird take

• Like 1

To clarify some of the confusion above: 

Eric Longenhagen is the Fangraphs scouting guy and he's legit great at his job. Listen to a podcast with him featured or read any of his chats and you'll quickly realize that he's one of the best in the business. Having said that, he's basically Fangraphs' only actual scout right now, and other (paid) sources with more scouts and resources are likely more worthwhile if you have the money to invest in a membership. I do think Longenhagen/Fangraphs is the best free option available. 

Nailing scouting grades is an impossible task and every single source is going to look like they missed a lot of the time. I don't think anyone disagrees with this, but feel it's worth mentioning based on the recent digression of this thread. 

*Some* scouts might say that there's only one 80 grade per tool in the minors, but that is a simplistic and incorrect view of how distributions work in the real world. If there are five players in the minors with identical 80-grade speed or fastball velo (two easily measured tools, e.g.), then you don't say that one of them is an 80 and the other four are 75. 

Excited for Vidal's return tomorrow. Let's win some leagues!

• Like 9

Jeez you guys with your over complicated grading systems and fangraphs non-sense.  The dudes name is Vidal!!!! Named after one of the greatest shampoos ever made and a reminder of a better time when some of us used to have hair.  Brujan could literally hit .150 and I would still have him starting somewhere on my team for his name alone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, cs3 said:

You have no idea how they do it, but you know with absolute certainty that they don't watch any games? Pretty weird take

They don't have scouts on their staff.

If they have scouts and they labeled Acuna 55 speed they are worthless.

But yes, they don't have scouts or the infrastructure too visual scout all these guys.

3 hours ago, knifeparty said:

Jeez you guys with your over complicated grading systems and fangraphs non-sense.  The dudes name is Vidal!!!! Named after one of the greatest shampoos ever made and a reminder of a better time when some of us used to have hair.  Brujan could literally hit .150 and I would still have him starting somewhere on my team for his name alone.

Vidal Sassoon was an actual person!

Ugh do your homework! N0ob.

(Just kidding. I wanted to maintain the argumentative tone of this thread)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Vidal Sassoon was an actual person!

When I first learned it surprised me too. Never thought it's a real name.

3 hours ago, StevieStats said:

They don't have scouts on their staff.

If they have scouts and they labeled Acuna 55 speed they are worthless.

But yes, they don't have scouts or the infrastructure too visual scout all these guys.

Still, they have these grades on their site that makes them look more trustworthy. And as an example shows, some people blindly believe everything they see there.

Be interesting to see how he handles the bat. If he hits more like a Mondesi type when he's on his game and healthy or someone like say Billy Hamilton, putrid AVG but lots of steals/runs. Also how he racks up the SBs if he provides speed consistently or in bunches. I'd imagine TB will let him run often.

1 hour ago, crotchcrickets said:

Vintage Ad #1,411: Praise for Vidal Sassoon Products (4)..… | Flickr

I'm pretty sure that's the dude who played Baron Samedi in Live and Let Die, he had one of the best "diabolical laughs" I have ever heard. I always thought some of the best unknown prospects might've come from the fictional Caribbean island of San Monique, if not for Mr. Karanga's interference (RIP Yaphet Kotto).

76088-13Fr.jpg.f84ef11d2edcfa92d2ce43a52b53f67e.jpg

• Like 1

he was called back up, but unfortunately the Rays are playing Brett Phillips over him tonight in RF.

In this clip, Cash said "he's one of the best players in our lineup, when he's in it."

Hopefully, it's more often than not....

11 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

he was called back up, but unfortunately the Rays are playing Brett Phillips over him tonight in RF.

In this clip, Cash said "he's one of the best players in our lineup, when he's in it."

Hopefully, it's more often than not....

Well the rest of the lineup is batting .200 so that's not saying much.