NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Trade help

I like the Springer/Mahle side of the trade better. Seems like you are under-selling Springer, I would shop him to see if you could do better. Yes, Musgrove is an upgrade over Mahle, but how much of an upgrade? Last 5 starts:

ERA WHIP
Mahle 4.00 1.37
Musgrove 4.10 1.25

Escobar is non-consequestial in this trade.

15 minutes ago, SecondString38 said:

like the Springer/Mahle side of the trade better. Seems like you are under-selling Springer, I would shop him to see if you could do better. Yes, Musgrove is an upgrade over Mahle, but how much of an upgrade? Last 5 starts:

ERA WHIP
Mahle 4.00 1.37
Musgrove 4.10 1.25

After re-reading your initial post, looks like you are receiving Springer & Mahle, not trading them away....sorry my bad. Obviously, I would recommend you pull the trigger here.

3 hours ago, SecondString38 said:

I like the Springer/Mahle side of the trade better. Seems like you are under-selling Springer, I would shop him to see if you could do better. Yes, Musgrove is an upgrade over Mahle, but how much of an upgrade? Last 5 starts:

ERA WHIP
Mahle 4.00 1.37
Musgrove 4.10 1.25

So you dismiss Escobar, who is 11th in rbis, and 16th in hrs. 

And you rely on cherry 🍒picking 5 random starts?

Interesting 

9 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

So you dismiss Escobar, who is 11th in rbis, and 16th in hrs. 

And you rely on cherry 🍒picking 5 random starts?

Interesting 

First of all, looking at any starter's last five starts to determine their effectiveness is not "cherry picking" and they are not "random". In most cases, it is the best indicator of what to expect moving forward. As far as Escobar, he is a lifetime MLB average hitter for OPS & SLG, below average for OPS & BA. He is performing slightly above that in 2021. but this is his 11th year in the bigs, and we pretty much know what we can expect ROS. He is easily replaceable and has almost zero trade value. 

As far as Musgrove vs. Mahle, Musgrove is also far out-performing his career stats, and the possibility of regression in the second half is very real. As I tried to point out in my original post, the delta between he and Mahle is not very appreciable, certainly not great enough to make up for the difference between Springer and Escobar.

You gotta stop with the last 5 starts, is the holy grail. It's 5 random starts. A small sample size, in which 1 game can blow the whole thing up.

Good thing you don't go 6 games back, because German Marquez gave up 9 runs in 1 start. His next 5 he's been great.

And who cares if Escobar is a career bum. The fact is, in 3.5 months, he's ranked 11th and 16th. But that's waiver wire to you. If only Escobar had done that his LAST 5 GAMES.

It's funny that you sing high praises on the last 5, but the last 15 weeks is immaterial.

And as far as Musgrove Mahle, Musgrove career era is better then Mahles. And Musgrove has the better FIP this year.

But I know, what's ge done the last 5 starts?

Last 5 starts to the test

Gerrit Cole from May 6th to May 28th,

5 starts, 33 innings, 8 runs.

Next 5 game starts, June 4rd to June 27th,

31 innings, 16 runs

Luis Castillo

5 starts from May 8th to May 29th

23.2 innings, 22 runs

Next 5, from June 4th to June 26th

31.2 innings, 7 runs

Happy 🍒 picking

1 hour ago, HOOTIE said:

You gotta stop with the last 5 starts, is the holy grail. It's 5 random starts.

And who cares if Escobar is a career bum. The fact is, in 3.5 months, he's ranked 11th and 16th. But that's waiver wire to you. If only Escobar had done that his LAST 5 GAMES.

It's funny that you sing high praises on the last 5, but the last 15 weeks is immaterial.

And as far as Musgrove Mahle, Musgrove career era is better then Mahles. And Musgrove has the better FIP this year.

But I know, what's ge done the last 5 starts?

1) There's nothing "random" about using a pitcher's last five starts as a predictor of future performance. In most cases, a pitcher's most recent performance is the best indicator of future performance. Calling it "random" is just wrong.

2) I didn't say Escobar was a "career bum", those are your words. I said he was at career MLB average in OPS & SLG, but below average in OBP & BA, and that he has near zero trade value...all of that is true. He is not of consequence in the OP's proposed trade, does not move the needle one bit.

3) Did I say that "the last 15 weeks is immaterial"? No I didn't. You made that up, putting words in my mouth. But if you want to compare career performance, cool. Lets do it.....

Mahle     Musgrove
  3-year Avg. Career       3-year Avg. Career
ERA 4.52 4.45     ERA 4.12 4.10
WHIP 1.33 1.35     WHIP 1.21 1.18

As I said, not enough difference here to even come close to closing the gap between Springer & Escobar. As I also mentioned, Musgrove has out-performed his career stats in 2021, so regression is likely. In fact, we are already seeing it.

4) Look, you don't have to agree with me. I gave the OP my opinion in trying to help him, because that's what you're supposed to do in this forum. You on the other hand, have posted three times in this thread throwing darts at my opinion without yet offering one of your own. Here's an idea....if you disagree, then give the OP your opinion and let's move on.

12 hours ago, Pharvey68 said:

Springer and Mahle for Musgrove and E. Escobar.

Have enough starting pitching but need OF help.  

It's even.

Since you need OF, it's probably ok.

• Like 1