NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Jarren Duran 2021 Outlook

They called him up to play and expect him to rake and be the everyday CF now and for years to come

If he pulls a Kelenic he’ll be in AAA mid August and he’ll get a shot next March 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As a Sox fan I know they will give him quite a bit of leash. He's not going to be sent down if he isn't rake city right out of the gate. I'm really excited and hope he hits t he ground running. Be interesting to see what spot in the order he hits initially and later on if he's productive. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, collucho said:

image.png.6c968b5ce9bf6b6c490fa9c8f3c61d69.png

Power and speed, easy 20/20 seasons with everyday playing time.

Worth a stab, sure, but remember the Jarred Kelenic factor.  I don't think he'll struggle to that extent, but it's much more common for rookie pitchers to make a fantasy impact than rookie hitters.  Even Mike Trout struggled when he was first called up in 2011.

2 hours ago, squidthunder said:

Is he one of those guys that you add right now?  I honestly don't know much about him

He was never really a power hitter, but instead guy who was going to give you average and speed. Then he started working with the same guy who helped Justin Turner unlock some power. Last year there were some reports he was flashing power, but this year he really started flashing the talent and rocketing up prospect rankings. Mike Scoscia (I could never spell his name) was his coach for the Olympic qualifying team and compared him to Grady Sizemore (for the younger crowd, he was tracking to be a superstar before injuries wrecked his career). 

Fangraphs has him ranked as the #55 prospect. He's hitting 270/365/561 this year with 15 bombs after hitting a total of 7 in his previous 880 trips to the plate. I have no idea how he's going to perform in the majors, but he's got 20/30 upside. Whether that's worth adding right now is going to depend on your league size. I might not rush to grab him in a really shallow league. But I'd sprint to grab him in most formats.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He was never really a power hitter, but instead guy who was going to give you average and speed. Then he started working with the same guy who helped Justin Turner unlock some power. Last year there were some reports he was flashing power, but this year he really started flashing the talent and rocketing up prospect rankings. Mike Scoscia (I could never spell his name) was his coach for the Olympic qualifying team and compared him to Grady Sizemore (for the younger crowd, he was tracking to be a superstar before injuries wrecked his career). 

Fangraphs has him ranked as the #55 prospect. He's hitting 270/365/561 this year with 15 bombs after hitting a total of 7 in his previous 880 trips to the plate. I have no idea how he's going to perform in the majors, but he's got 20/30 upside. Whether that's worth adding right now is going to depend on your league size. I might not rush to grab him in a really shallow league. But I'd sprint to grab him in most formats.

Don't forget, Scioscia also compared him to Trout...