NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Darrell Henderson 2021 Outlook

Well.  Can’t think of a more opportune time to talk about this guys capabilities now that Akers is likely gone for the season.

It’s terrible what happened to Akers, and I think they have a more than capable running back with some true upside here.

What are we thinking and what round?

Edited by nn4mz

1 minute ago, FinsUp24 said:

RB1. I imagine they bring in someone like Bell, Duke Johnson, or…. Gurley?! But this looks like Henderson’s job and I think he will shine

Henderson seems to always be banged up and with an additional game, i cant imagine the outlook is much brighter on his health

35 minutes ago, dontclapGonorrhea said:

Henderson seems to always be banged up and with an additional game, i cant imagine the outlook is much brighter on his health

Yea I loved him coming out of college but besides a couple games he hasn’t done much. The coach drafted Akers the very next year and signed malcom brown. Then gives brown touches over Henderson at the beginning of the last season.. I would love for the rams to just give him a full shot and see what he’s made of but it appears Mcvay doesn’t believe in him. I fully expect them to call in or trade for someone to at least split carries

He will be a late 2nd if they don't sign anyone of significance. He is very talented and was pff #1 ranked rb for a big chunk of the season. The rams have a top 5 def and a very creative oc. I would be very tempted to take him and pair him with a top 5 pick. 

• Like 2

I'll be incredibly surprised if Rams don't add more depth. But I think whoever they add, Henderson should be at least on course to be the largest share in a committee. He's going to be a strong pick 

2 hours ago, nmartinez12443 said:

He will be a late 2nd if they don't sign anyone of significance. He is very talented and was pff #1 ranked rb for a big chunk of the season. The rams have a top 5 def and a very creative oc. I would be very tempted to take him and pair him with a top 5 pick. 

No way he's a late 2nd. Thats about as big as correlation trap as Ive seen if thats happens to come true. I would put him in the Gaskin/Jacobs/Davis/Etienne tier.

• Like 2

This seems to be the consensus opinion, and I don't understand it at all.  If Akers was a late first/early second round guy (despite Henderson being in the picture) at least partly because of the Rams D/O line/coaching tendencies particularly near the goal line, why is Henderson a 4th-5th rounder now?  Henderson has shown he has talent.  Even if we assume Akers was more talented, the margin was slim.  Now Henderson has an even better opportunity with Akers gone.  That's true even assuming the Rams sign an AP-type.  Certainly Henderson was a more significant threat to Akers' presumptive workload than AP (or whoever) will be to Henderson's now, right?  

I don't say this to argue, it's a legitimate question.  Why is Henderson not a late 2nd round guy?  The best answer I can gather is durability, which.....I guess.  I don't draft that way, and sort of think (especially w/ RB) you have to assume health.  If that's true, then the Gaskin/Jacobs/Davis comp is confusing to me.  We don't draft Gaskin/Jacobs/Davis later because we think they'll get hurt.  We draft them later because they're questionable talents on questionable offenses with questionable workloads.  None of those descriptions applies to Henderson....I don't understand.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

This seems to be the consensus opinion, and I don't understand it at all.  If Akers was a late first/early second round guy (despite Henderson being in the picture) at least partly because of the Rams D/O line/coaching tendencies particularly near the goal line, why is Henderson a 4th-5th rounder now?  Henderson has shown he has talent.  Even if we assume Akers was more talented, the margin was slim.  Now Henderson has an even better opportunity with Akers gone.  That's true even assuming the Rams sign an AP-type.  Certainly Henderson was a more significant threat to Akers' presumptive workload than AP (or whoever) will be to Henderson's now, right?  

I don't say this to argue, it's a legitimate question.  Why is Henderson not a late 2nd round guy?  The best answer I can gather is durability, which.....I guess.  I don't draft that way, and sort of think (especially w/ RB) you have to assume health.  If that's true, then the Gaskin/Jacobs/Davis comp is confusing to me.  We don't draft Gaskin/Jacobs/Davis later because we think they'll get hurt.  We draft them later because they're questionable talents on questionable offenses with questionable workloads.  None of those descriptions applies to Henderson....I don't understand.

Agreed.  He should be listed around rb 18 to 20.  And will go late 2nd early 3rd probably?

42 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

Henderson has shown he has talent.  Even if we assume Akers was more talented, the margin was slim.  

I agree with you on most of your prior post except for this point. Talent can be viewed in the eye of the beholder sometimes and while you and I probably think Henderson is locked and loaded ready to go Mcvay likely does not but it’s just day 1 we got time to tell

50 minutes ago, ThunderDan said:

If you thought the talent level between Akers and Henderson was slim than you should have been fading Akers as a late 1st round pick. Akers had better draft capital invested in him and was a much better prospect coming in college.

Henderson did nothing in his rookie season even with a hobbled Gurley as his only competition. Last season he had some nice games but still ceded valuable touches to Malcom Brown even when Akers was out with injury. Durability is a concern given that he's had two separate Grade 3 high ankle sprains which makes me question if he can even handle close to a full workload.

I loved Akers because his talent and his situation where as for Henderson its pretty much situation. I think he's a good RB best suited for a 1-2 punch/timeshare role.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Evincar said:

No way he's a late 2nd. Thats about as big as correlation trap as Ive seen if thats happens to come true. I would put him in the Gaskin/Jacobs/Davis/Etienne tier.

Assuming (NOT IN ORDER) Full ppr.

Rbs- Eckler, Henry, zeke, Kamara, saquon, jones with Rodgers, chubb, Taylor, Cook

WR- Adams with Rodgers, Ridley, Diggs, Metcalf, hill, hopkins

TE- Kelce

So that's 16 guys that should ABSOLUTELY be picked over him. No we have waller, kittle, Mixon, aj brown, McClaurin, Gibson, Mike Thomas, najee Harris, Allen Robinson, montegomery, Keenan Allen, ceh, Carson.

28 guys I would pick before him. Possibly julio jones.

But yeah he's a 3rd rounder for sure, IF they don't add anyone of huge significance. 

4 minutes ago, nmartinez12443 said:

Assuming (NOT IN ORDER) Full ppr.

Rbs- Eckler, Henry, zeke, Kamara, saquon, jones with Rodgers, chubb, Taylor, Cook

WR- Adams with Rodgers, Ridley, Diggs, Metcalf, hill, hopkins

TE- Kelce

So that's 16 guys that should ABSOLUTELY be picked over him. No we have waller, kittle, Mixon, aj brown, McClaurin, Gibson, Mike Thomas, najee Harris, Allen Robinson, montegomery, Keenan Allen, ceh, Carson.

28 guys I would pick before him. Possibly julio jones and Dobbins.

But yeah he's a 3rd rounder for sure, IF they don't add anyone of huge significance. 

I can't see them not adding another back somewhere, but they certainly shouldn't panic and sign an over the hill free agent just because.    Those guys are all available for good reason.   Given that they're a contender who thinks they solved their one issue with the QB change (I disagree, still plenty of holes).......they can't go in with nothing behind Henderson.   I think they'll find someone shake loose from another team in August.   KC dumped Hyde after that whole Darwin Thompson fad happened.....Houston picked him up to replace Lamar Miller and he had 1,000 yards.    They'll be patient, but they will get someone in there, for insurance if nothing else.  

Still, a good sign to hear they have faith.   He did look good last year at times.   I think it's crazy to take him in the second, personally, but my mind could change there. 

4 hours ago, BrianM said:

I can't see them not adding another back somewhere, but they certainly shouldn't panic and sign an over the hill free agent just because.    Those guys are all available for good reason.   Given that they're a contender who thinks they solved their one issue with the QB change (I disagree, still plenty of holes).......they can't go in with nothing behind Henderson.   I think they'll find someone shake loose from another team in August.   KC dumped Hyde after that whole Darwin Thompson fad happened.....Houston picked him up to replace Lamar Miller and he had 1,000 yards.    They'll be patient, but they will get someone in there, for insurance if nothing else.  

Still, a good sign to hear they have faith.   He did look good last year at times.   I think it's crazy to take him in the second, personally, but my mind could change there. 

You're not crazy, stop doubting yourself. 

9 hours ago, SharkSwimmer said:

If you can get him in the third...bonus time.

Y wld I want an rbbc in rd3? Taking this dude over arob, Keenan, ceedee—the list goes on is insanity. If I want a rbbc why don’t I draft Trey sermon 3 rounds later (with better upside) 

it’s advice like this, that I must admit-I love to hear. 👏 

There was legitimate concern about a RBBC when Akers was still in the picture. If you can get Henderson in the Gaskin/K. Hunt/T. Etienne/Mike Davis range then it's worth a shot but drafting him in rounds 3 or 4 seems crazy to me.

Give me Trey Sermon, Javonte Williams or Michael Carter later on please.

Edited by MingusDew
  • Like 1

With Akers hurt, Malcolm Brown gone, no plugger free agent signed, and only rookies behind him?  On one of the best teams in the NFL, dedicated to running the ball and involving the running back in the passing game?

I like Henderson a lot better than Gaskin, Etienne and Mike Davis.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, SharkSwimmer said:

With Akers hurt, Malcolm Brown gone, no plugger free agent signed, and only rookies behind him?  On one of the best teams in the NFL, dedicated to running the ball and involving the running back in the passing game?

I like Henderson a lot better than Gaskin, Etienne and Mike Davis.

As of right now, I think I'd go Davis, Henderson, Gaskin and Etienne (in that order).

But, that's of course subject to change as we get closer to the season.

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 3:38 PM, Evincar said:

If you thought the talent level between Akers and Henderson was slim than you should have been fading Akers as a late 1st round pick. Akers had better draft capital invested in him and was a much better prospect coming in college.

Henderson did nothing in his rookie season even with a hobbled Gurley as his only competition. Last season he had some nice games but still ceded valuable touches to Malcom Brown even when Akers was out with injury. Durability is a concern given that he's had two separate Grade 3 high ankle sprains which makes me question if he can even handle close to a full workload.

I loved Akers because his talent and his situation where as for Henderson its pretty much situation. I think he's a good RB best suited for a 1-2 punch/timeshare role.

Henderson was PFF #1 rated running back last year for the first 5 games or so, he IS talented and averaged 4.5 ypc, but guess what that doesn't matter. If you give ANY professional rb 300 touches they are going to be a top 15 running back. Its all about touches.

Now throw in that he actually is talented, plays on a top 5 defense, has a creative coach who has a history of using rbs in a big way, and he has shown LAST YEAR that he is very effective when given touches looks at weeks 2-8. 

Don't get me wrong, I won't take him in the 3rd which is where he will go IF they don't sign anyone of huge significance, but if he's at the 4th/5th turn I'm all in (he won't be).

• Like 2