NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Josiah Gray 2021 Outlook

Dodgers top pitching prospect.  Bauer unlikely to come back.  Good shot to stick with the team.  Thoughts?

(2 hrs ago) Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said that Gray, who is set to receive a promotion from Triple-A Oklahoma City, will serve as a bulk reliever rather than a starter in Tuesday's game against the Giants, Juan Toribio of MLB.com reports.

Roberts didn't name an opener, but he indicated one of the four lefties in the bullpen (Garrett Cleavinger, Darien Nunez, Alex Vesia and Victor Gonzalez) would work ahead of the right-handed Gray in his MLB debut. The arrangement should increase Gray's chances of factoring into any decision, as he was unlikely to work especially deep into Tuesday's contest if he had been deployed as a traditional starter. Because he missed a large chunk of the Triple-A season while recovering from a shoulder impingement, Gray has only made four appearances for Oklahoma City in 2021. He's been sharp since being activated from the injured list in early July, though, posting a 2.53 ERA, 0.47 WHIP and 12:0 K:BB across 10.2 innings in three outings.

10 minutes ago, herschel said:

(2 hrs ago) Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said that Gray, who is set to receive a promotion from Triple-A Oklahoma City, will serve as a bulk reliever rather than a starter in Tuesday's game against the Giants, Juan Toribio of MLB.com reports.

Roberts didn't name an opener, but he indicated one of the four lefties in the bullpen (Garrett Cleavinger, Darien Nunez, Alex Vesia and Victor Gonzalez) would work ahead of the right-handed Gray in his MLB debut. The arrangement should increase Gray's chances of factoring into any decision, as he was unlikely to work especially deep into Tuesday's contest if he had been deployed as a traditional starter. Because he missed a large chunk of the Triple-A season while recovering from a shoulder impingement, Gray has only made four appearances for Oklahoma City in 2021. He's been sharp since being activated from the injured list in early July, though, posting a 2.53 ERA, 0.47 WHIP and 12:0 K:BB across 10.2 innings in three outings.

Yeah cause this is important...

Edited by posty

33 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

gonsolin or gray rest of the season fellas?

I would lean Gonsolin, but that's not to say Gray can't be a productive player ROS.  Gonsolin has a spot in the rotation already, and has had success in his short time in the majors.    With Price seemingly being thrust back into the rotation to fill the Bauer void it's an open question whether Gray gets a shot at a more permanent rotation spot.  The talent is there if he does tho.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, loro1991 said:

They threw him into the fire against the team with the most HR in the MLB, I think the 7 K's/1Walk should get him another look 

It did. Much friendlier matchup against the road Rockies.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ace_King said:

Thoughts on him ROS after two appearances?

Missing a ton of bats so far, I am fairly optimistic about him. Walks shouldn't be a consistent issue based on his milb track record unless he is nibbling a ton and his HR rate should normalize. He's given up 6 hits in 8ip and 4 of them have been homers. Definitely someone I'd be scooping and seeing how he does, not going to find more upside on the WW at this point in the year unless you're in a super shallow league.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, loro1991 said:

Traded to the Nats, should be good for his value, no more dodgeritis or crowded rotation. Less risk of getting moved to the pen.

Nats suck he will suck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, smeeze said:

Any guarantees the Nats even put him in the rotation? 

They no longer have Max or even Jon Lester.  So yeah he is going into the rotation asap.  He was in the Dodgers rotation when he was traded.  He was the Dodgers top pitching prospect for over a year.  He is arguably the best Nats pitcher on their staff right now.

11 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They no longer have Max or even Jon Lester.  So yeah he is going into the rotation asap.  He was in the Dodgers rotation when he was traded.  He was the Dodgers top pitching prospect for over a year.  He is arguably the best Nats pitcher on their staff right now.

I just keep picturing him as the leader of some ultra-orthodox Puritanical sect from the 17th century.

I don’t know why.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, smeeze said:

Any guarantees the Nats even put him in the rotation? 

They have:

Corbin
Fedde
Ross
Espino
Jefry Rodriguez has spot started

Yeah he should be in the rotation...

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, posty said:

They have:

Corbin
Fedde
Ross
Espino

Gray and Ross are the two best SPs on that staff, lol. 

29 minutes ago, posty said:

They have:

Corbin
Fedde
Ross
Espino

Teams never manipulate service time for top prospects 🙄

On 7/30/2021 at 5:57 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

I don't disagree that he might be the Nationals' best starter right now, but that's really not saying much when you consider the rest of their staff and I lost all interest in him fantasy-wise when he got traded from Dodgers to Nationals.  In addition to the massive downgrade in run support and win potential, he's also going to a much tougher park for pitchers.  Before the trade, I was looking forward to his matchup this past Saturday against Arizona, but dropped him immediately after news of the trade.

8 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I don't disagree that he might be the Nationals' best starter right now, but that's really not saying much when you consider the rest of their staff and I lost all interest in him fantasy-wise when he got traded from Dodgers to Nationals.  In addition to the massive downgrade in run support and win potential, he's also going to a much tougher park for pitchers.  Before the trade, I was looking forward to his matchup this past Saturday against Arizona, but dropped him immediately after news of the trade.

Chavez Ravine: 23

Nationals Stadium: 29

• Like 1