NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Summer 2021 NBA Offseason Thread

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Why?   Here are BBM standard 9-cat per-game ranking: 

LBJ rank:   17/18  (with Cle)  #6 ,

18/19 (with LAL)  #24

19/20   #16

20/21   #34

In the last 3 years LBJ  has ranked  in the 2nd and 3rd round.  

Considering addition of Westbrook,  Lebron's age and load management during the regular season I think drafting LBJ in the first four round be drafting him close to his ceiling. I am simply not ready to do that 

Agreed, if you still drafting Lebron 1st round or at the turn, I believe you are playing yourself. What upside is left with Lebron at 37 years old?

I wouldn't touch none of these rookies and let people reach for them. They will almost all be giving games off during the end of the season when their teams realize that the playoffs is a no shot.

18 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

All I said that I will not draft LBJ in the first four rounds and now I am LBJ hater?   Same LBJ that is 3# on my all time  list, behind MJ and Kobe?  Go figure...

Anyway, as of today with everyone healthy I would rank Giannis, KD and Luka ahead of LBJ.  LBJ would be at the same level as Harden, Curry, AD

I wouldn't touch LBJ with a 10ft pole. Dude is ancient and injury prone. And not only that, he will get load managed all season.

3 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Why?   Here are BBM standard 9-cat per-game ranking: 

LBJ rank:   17/18  (with Cle)  #6 ,

18/19 (with LAL)  #24

19/20   #16

20/21   #34

In the last 3 years LBJ  has ranked  in the 2nd and 3rd round.  

Considering addition of Westbrook,  Lebron's age and load management during the regular season I think drafting LBJ in the first four round be drafting him close to his ceiling. I am simply not ready to do that 

Fair enough, Conversely though the last 3 years he was injured 2/3 (freak injuries) and STILL finished as a 2nd/3rd round value. No injury and he finishes higher and thats even with some games off for load management. Yet you say hes a no go for you in the first 4 rounds which even injured, as we see by your stats, hes better than a 4th round value even then. So saying first 4 rounds is his celling when your basing that off of his last 3 seasons 2 of which he was injured, is a little unfair as if he doesnt get hurt, it is not his ceiling, honestly could be argued thats his floor barring a season ending injury or a very severe one (came back from his groin injury waaaay early so even severe injuries the dude may come back)

Edited by kmoore1521

12 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Fair enough, Conversely though the last 3 years he was injured 2/3 (freak injuries) and STILL finished as a 2nd/3rd round value. No injury and he finishes higher and thats even with some games off for load management. Yet you say hes a no go for you in the first 4 rounds which even injured, as we see by your stats, hes better than a 4th round value even then. So saying first 4 rounds is his celling when your basing that off of his last 3 seasons 2 of which he was injured, is a little unfair as if he doesnt get hurt, it is not his ceiling, honestly could be argued thats his floor barring a season ending injury or a very severe one (came back from his groin injury waaaay early so even severe injuries the dude may come back)

You can draft LBJ in first four rounds if you want, but you will not be getting much upside from him.  He can play at the high level and be  first or second round value player for stretches.  I don't believe that he can do it for entire season at his age

Also, I think that  we should not forget LeBron's career  minutes too, lots of wear and tear on that body, 

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/mp_active.html  

LBJ played 50,055 minutes, that is almost like Curry (26,150) and Lilard (24,779)  combined.

5 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

You can draft LBJ in first four rounds if you want, but you will not be getting much upside from him.  He can play at the high level and be  first or second round value player for stretches.  I don't believe that he can do it for entire season at his age

Also, I think that  we should not forget LeBron's career  minutes too, lots of wear and tear on that body, 

LBJ played 50,055 minutes, that is almost like Curry (26,150) and Lilard (24,779)  combined.

All valid reasons to not draft him in the first 2 rounds, beyond that is overkill IMO, so far his FLOOR has been 3rd round during an injured season, getting him in the 3rd/4th leaves plenty of room for upside relative to other players going in those rounds.

7 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

All valid reasons to not draft him in the first 2 rounds, beyond that is overkill IMO, so far his FLOOR has been 3rd round during an injured season, getting him in the 3rd/4th leaves plenty of room for upside relative to other players going in those rounds.

This.

Not drafting LeBron in the 3rd or 4th round is just outright silly imo, despite the recent injuries.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

Lebrons absolute basement is fourth round. That’s factoring in injuries. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kmoore1521 said:

The thing is he is 37 so he has a high probability of injuries or rest due to such a quick turnaround (that he complained about last year). The other thing is he hasn't played with another playmaker with such high usage as Westbrook in several years.

I personally think he has a high chance to have his worst fantasy season of his career. Something along the likes of 23/7/6 with his usual stats in other cats in a career low 32 mins per game is what I expect. He is one of the goats so he is certainly capable of doing what CP3 did last year and finishing 2nd round.  I don't see that happening though. He'll be way better in real life than in fantasy next year.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, EsTiLO said:

I wouldn't touch none of these rookies and let people reach for them. They will almost all be giving games off during the end of the season when their teams realize that the playoffs is a no shot.

The main thing is which rookie wont be handcuffed and will eat the most. That's the rule. Cade Cunningham is the one I'm after in the 6th-7th round.

But its always gonna be that someone else then you have to rush to the waiver wire 😑

3 hours ago, Gohawks said:

Lebrons absolute basement is fourth round. That’s factoring in injuries. 

Correct.

Lebron in 45 games of a 72 game season finished 34th at 25/7/7.

So we add the extra 10 games, take into account rest days, take into account he will really have less PG duties with Westbrook/Nunn and with the reserves they have, I don’t see him playing 33 minutes a game. 

It’s a fair assessment that he should finish around the same area between 23-40.

6 hours ago, EsTiLO said:

I’m looking at Jalen Green. He should eat all those minutes in Houston. 

Now that all the good free agents have signed places (except Markkanen), y'all wanna try a mock draft on here? The fantasy season is coming up fast so it might help to see how the rankings look like. If not i'll probably just start a thread on how the first 2 rounds look like.

Is it just me for i wanted IT to land a contract again in the NBA? Especially after that 81 and the emotional video over twitter and other social media platforms.

I think he deserves a spot in the NBA.

41 minutes ago, MANGKANOR said:

Is it just me for i wanted IT to land a contract again in the NBA? Especially after that 81 and the emotional video over twitter and other social media platforms.

IT career is about over as Jamal Crawford’s and Jimmer Fredette.

7 hours ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

IT career is about over as Jamal Crawford’s and Jimmer Fredette.

Ironically, Schroder took IT's spot on the Celtics and possibly his last chance for a roster spot. 

Edit: Spoke to soon, seems like the Lakers have interest in adding IT

Edited by DezedandConfused

On 8/11/2021 at 5:50 AM, MANGKANOR said:

Did you see the highlights? He is being guarded by guys who make IT look big. Any time that happens, you know something is off. 

On 8/11/2021 at 1:21 AM, jay_00 said:

Now that all the good free agents have signed places (except Markkanen), y'all wanna try a mock draft on here? The fantasy season is coming up fast so it might help to see how the rankings look like. If not i'll probably just start a thread on how the first 2 rounds look like.

We used to do mocks on here constantly.

But me personally I'm incredibly busy with work. And idk how COVID effected others. I miss the mocks. I even got carried away with some trash talking one season. I had a blast.

1 hour ago, Trench Mob said:

We used to do mocks on here constantly.

But me personally I'm incredibly busy with work. And idk how COVID effected others. I miss the mocks. I even got carried away with some trash talking one season. I had a blast.

Yea i remember. I think I might have participated in one several years ago. I don't remember if it was here or somewhere else tho. Usually I like to not participate in them because I like to get a sense of what others are thinking instead of myself.