NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Summer 2021 NBA Offseason Thread

7 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I agree.  Some nights he might be the number one option given ADs inability to stay on the floor.  I believe the Lakers will be a fun team to watch when all three are healthy.

They’re definitely gonna be fun to watch. As a Laker fan I’m definitely conflicted though, this could be a disaster. Lakers need shooting and Westbrook obviously doesn’t solve that. We’ll see what else they do this offseason before I grade this trade fully. Getting a real playmaker to handle the ball and take pressure off Bron is great and will result in more regular season wins but does it move the needle in the postseason when the game changes? That I’m honestly not sure about. Lakers need shooters still desperately, trading KCP hurts.

12 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Westbrook fantasy value  now is better or worse?

quite a return for Wizzards

Good move for both parties IMO. Wiz get KCP who is an ideal 3&D player and if he has a good first half, he could net the Wiz a nice return. Kuz going to Washington will be good for him, he needs a more concrete role and now he has it, being Beal’s right hand man. This is his big shot to prove his worth. And obviously a 1st in this deep draft class is great for them too. Trezz is what he is, he’s the least exciting piece here. Lakers get Westbrook and we don’t need to explain that. I think both sides did well.

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

They’re definitely gonna be fun to watch. As a Laker fan I’m definitely conflicted though, this could be a disaster. Lakers need shooting and Westbrook obviously doesn’t solve that. We’ll see what else they do this offseason before I grade this trade fully. Getting a real playmaker to handle the ball and take pressure off Bron is great and will result in more regular season wins but does it move the needle in the postseason when the game changes? That I’m honestly not sure about. Lakers need shooters still desperately, trading KCP hurts.

It might not move the needle towards a championship but I believe his value is better than what they gave up.  I believe they will find some perimeter shooting.  In the meantime, Westbrook gives them another level of intensity on both offense and defense and a proven scorer who fill in when LeBron and AD aren't on the floor.  I would have rather seen them get Lillard but that wasn't going to happen.

Westbrook isn't the most efficient guy but he works hard and is a gamer.  You know what you are going to get night in and night out.  I really believe his season this year was underrated for what he did.

Trezz falls behind Thomas Bryant  when he comes back and maybe Daniel Gafford. Kuzma falls behind Huchimara. KCP falls behind Beal.

Westbrook still is a 2nd round pick fantasy wise. The good bet will be who will have more rest days between Lebron and Westbrook.

Dumb trade for the Lakers tbh.

In a shooting league they have no shooters. Westbrook and Lebron also isn’t something that I’m a big fan of. It just seems like it’s going to be a crowded and compressed game for them with their weapons.

Westbrook is a floor raiser not a ceiling raiser at this point…

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Agreed, I’m the closing minutes of a game you have Westbrook and Lebron who are both poor free throw shooters. 

In the closing minutes of the game they’ll have Westbrook chucking 30 foot pull-ups straight off the backboard. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Dumb trade for the Lakers tbh.

In a shooting league they have no shooters. Westbrook and Lebron also isn’t something that I’m a big fan of. It just seems like it’s going to be a crowded and compressed game for them with their weapons.

Westbrook is a floor raiser not a ceiling raiser at this point…

3 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Agreed, I’m the closing minutes of a game you have Westbrook and Lebron who are both poor free throw shooters. 

I get what you are both saying and can't disagree.  Both are also professional turnover makers.  I guess the key will be to get a big enough lead that neither has to play in the fourth quarter.  Less need to rest them or worry about their poor FT shooting. 😀

I am just happy to be talking about the NBA in late July before we start the early NFL camp talk!

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

In the closing minutes of the game they’ll have Westbrook chucking 30 foot pull-ups straight off the backboard. 

In the closing minutes you have Westbrook waving off Lebron for a pull up 3 that is way off and then committing a foul in frustration.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

I’d imagine LeBron and Russ’ minutes will be heavily staggered. Both will get run with AD. If the Lakers get perimeter shooting it could work but that’s a big if. 

There’s just not much options out there.

A starting 5 of like Lebron, KCP, Hield, AD, and Drummond is much better than something like WB, Caruso, Lebron, Davis, and Drummond. That second lineup is awful for spacing and everything regarding modern basketball. 

I feel like the Lakers will have the best record in the West just with these three alone if everyone stays healthy but they will really struggle in the playoffs with no shooting. Regular season will be fun to watch though, outside of the Nets no other team has a top 3 of anything close to this. Watching Bron and Russ play off each other could be really fun too, and of course I expect a bounce back season from AD. You know what he does. Like I said, I’m really conflicted. If they get perimeter shooting I’ll be fine with it, if not, it’s probably not gonna work at all.

1 minute ago, Gohawks said:

There’s just not much options out there.

A starting 5 of like Lebron, KCP, Hield, AD, and Drummond is much better than something like WB, Caruso, Lebron, Davis, and Drummond. That second lineup is awful for spacing and everything regarding modern basketball. 

Please no more Drummond, don’t curse us with that evil

1 minute ago, DezedandConfused said:

I think it's best we wait on the rest of the moves, before making a conclusion on this Westbrook trade. Lakers will pick up cheap shooting options.

The problem is there aren’t cheap shooting options out there. 

So, the Kings draft Davion Mitchell who is a solid player and deserved to be a top 10 pick.  But, Fox, Halliburton and Mitchell makes for a crowded backcourt.  Add in Hield.  It seems like someone might be on their way out.

5 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

LeBron always finds a way.  He can get teammates will play for Cracker Jacks if they think they might get a ring.

Just now, mbroo5880i said:

LeBron always finds a way.  He can get teammates will play for Cracker Jacks if they think they might get a ring.

Ok fine.

What cheap options are out there then? JR Smith?

6 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

So, the Kings draft Davion Mitchell who is a solid player and deserved to be a top 10 pick.  But, Fox, Halliburton and Mitchell makes for a crowded backcourt.  Add in Hield.  It seems like someone might be on their way out.

Don’t forget Delon Wright.

Just now, Gohawks said:

Kelly O, maybe reunion with Danny Green or Ariza, Ben McLemore, Lou Williams, Jeff Green, JaMychal Green, Alec Burks. Otto Porter Jr. is my black horse pick up, there's probably more and will always be options available for players wanting to play in LA. 

1 minute ago, DezedandConfused said:

Kelly O, maybe reunion with Danny Green or Ariza, Ben McLemore, Lou Williams, Jeff Green, JaMychal Green, Alec Burks. Otto Porter Jr. is my black horse pick up, there's probably more and will always be options available for players wanting to play in LA. 

The Lakers didn’t even play Ben McLemore that much. He was stuck behind Matthews.