NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Summer 2021 NBA Offseason Thread

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Ok fine.

What cheap options are out there then? JR Smith?

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Might as well hit up Ray Allen

Or Mike Miller.  I know and understand what you are saying.  Easier said than done.  Just off the top of my head and not knowing what cap space the Lakers have but what about Gary Trent or Terrance Ross?   But, they really need more than one solid perimeter shooter, right?

1 minute ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

The Lakers didn’t even play Ben McLemore that much. He was stuck behind Matthews.

Yeah I know just listing him still as an option for cheap outside shooting. There's also Austin Rivers available as an UFA

No I get it. And for those wondering about the cap situation for the Lakers:

Westbrook is at 44 million

Lebron is at 41 million

AD is at 35 million

You tell me how much money they have left.

Gasol is at 3 million.

3 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Or Mike Miller.  I know and understand what you are saying.  Easier said than done.  Just off the top of my head and not knowing what cap space the Lakers have but what about Gary Trent or Terrance Ross?   But, they really need more than one solid perimeter shooter, right?

They have no cap space so a lot of these options don’t make sense. Guys might come on a vet minimum but those are usually dudes way past their prime that’ll give you like 10-15 min. They need a legit 3 and D player. They likely aren’t going to get one. 

Edited by Gohawks

Gary Trent is looking for 18-20 mil 😆, so probably not. Lakers would have to trade for Ross so probably not an option anymore.

41+35+44 = 120 mil for LBJ, AD and Westbrook

The rest of the Lakers roster will be interesting.

If this is correct https://www.basketballinsiders.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/

Lakers are over the cap. Hard-capped by the Wesley Matthews contract via the bi-annual exception.

Hard Cap: $138,928,000

$19 mil to fill out the roster

9 minutes ago, DezedandConfused said:

Gary Trent is looking for 18-20 mil 😆, so probably not. Lakers would have to trade for Ross so probably not an option anymore.

I thought I heard something about Trent wanting a lot of money but wasn't certain.  I thought Ross was a FA but I wasn't sure about that either.  

8 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

41+35+44 = 120 mil for LBJ, AD and Westbrook

The rest of the Lakers roster will be interesting.

If this is correct https://www.basketballinsiders.com/los-angeles-lakers-team-salary/

Lakers are over the cap. Hard-capped by the Wesley Matthews contract via the bi-annual exception.

Hard Cap: $138,928,000

$19 mil to fill out the roster

Man, that is a sad roster.

I thought I heard something about Trent wanting a lot of money but wasn't certain.  I thought Ross was a FA but I wasn't sure about that either.  

Even if he was Lakers can’t get him. They can’t afford anyone nor do they have any trade pieces left. 

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Even if he was Lakers can’t get him. They can’t afford anyone nor do they have any trade pieces left. 

Schröder 👀 just playin but maybe they could convince a poverty franchise to take him in a S&T

17 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Schröder 👀 just playin but maybe they could convince a poverty franchise to take him in a S&T

Who would trade for him?   Maybe Kings, but Divac is not the GM now

53 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Ok fine.

What cheap options are out there then? JR Smith?

Bazemore is the most intriguing option out there imo for their price range and even he might not accept a min. Using that word "intriguing" as loosely as I can. 

1 hour ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Nets in 4. No matter the trade.

and they have 5 picks tonight…they are in the best spot currently

13 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Westbrook fantasy value  now is better or worse?

quite a return for Wizzards

Honestly thought the Wiz won this trade. They sacrificed one of their best players for depth. If they could acquire a decent point guard from the Free agency then they could be a playoff team. Maybe a lower seeded team tho. 

Imagine.. 

Dinwiddie (assuming he will sign as there were rumors he is intrigued on signing with the Wiz from twitter) / A. Holiday 

Beal  / KCP / Kispert

Kuzma / Troy Brown / Bonga

Hachimura / Bertans / Todd

Bryant / Gafford / Harrell. 

That is a decent squad for me... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Westbrook fantasy value  now is better or worse?

quite a return for Wizzards

I have to assume his value is slightly worse.  You would imagine his usage will take a hit and therefore his points and assists should trend downward.  With rebounds I guess it depends on whether the other Lakers get the memo that their role on the defensive glass is only to box out so Russ can get boards.  Overall, I would tend to stay away from all three Laker stars unless/until one is injured.

1 hour ago, MANGKANOR said:

Honestly thought the Wiz won this trade. They sacrificed one of their best players for depth. If they could acquire a decent point guard from the Free agency then they could be a playoff team. Maybe a lower seeded team tho. 

Imagine.. 

Dinwiddie (assuming he will sign as there were rumors he is intrigued on signing with the Wiz from twitter) / A. Holiday 

Beal  / KCP / Kispert

Bertans is starting. Kuzma is coming off the bench behind Huchimara.

39 minutes ago, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Bertans is starting. Kuzma is coming off the bench behind Huchimara.

Idk, I feel like the Wiz should start Kuz and give him the green light to see what he’s really got. Having him come off the bench as the 6th man is a role he’s shown he’s not comfortable with.

Wizards won this trade big time, and coincidentally, the Lakers...a team that usually wins every trade they make....kinda look like a bunch of fools.

• Kuzma gets his fresh start and a chance to start and play 36 MPG. I think he's a legit candidate to become a 23ppg/7reb/3ast kind of guy by seasons end (and even more if Beal somehow decides to leave).
  • KCP, who is honestly one of the most underrated players from a 2-way player POV...Guy can shoot the ball and play perimeter defense. He was hands down the Lakers best 3-point shooter. Kinda feels like KCP could easily be a 6th man kinda guy, being first one off the bench and playing 25-32 nightly.
  • Harrell, who is undersized but plays with a ton of energy and is very underrated. He has defensive issues (due to his size), but the fact that he was involved as well....Lakers pretty much gave up all of their trade chips in one deal.

The fact that the Lakers went into the offseason needing to address their shooting and then made this deal to get arguably one of the worst PG-shooters in the league is kinda laughable. Russ is a great PG, brings star power, but I think we've seen enough of Russ to know he's probably not what the Lakers needed.

The rest of the offseason is going to be extremely interesting for the Lakers. My gut is telling me that they're hoping that them having a "Big-3" now is going to help lure in a few veterans for less money....but giving up KCP was a big loss IMO. Russ needs the ball in his hands and it'll be curious to see how the "Take pressure off LeBron" vs "Russ dribbling and going 1-on-1 too much" battle turns out.

On the other end, I actually like the Wizards roster more now than I did last year. And I actually believe that they are a piece away from having a pretty decent squad. It seems like Beal will be there for at least one more season....You've got Kuzma now, KCP, Harrell, Gafford, Rui going into his 3rd year, Thomas Bryant who should be back at some point, and just added Aaron Holiday (who I think is very underrated and needed to go to a team where he could can get 25+ minutes a night.

All in all, an interesting trade. Wizards I feel won this by a landslide, and when you take into consideration that Russ has a player option in 2022, the Lakers traded a lot away for what could be just a 1-year rental.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RedRaider27 said:

Idk, I feel like the Wiz should start Kuz and give him the green light to see what he’s really got. Having him come off the bench as the 6th man is a role he’s shown he’s not comfortable with.

True. But knowing that Rui is their own 1st round pick who they want to see what they are going to do with him once his rookie deal expires and Bertans is being paid 16 million a season, I think they both will start. Kuz will get plenty of opportunities to prove himself.

3 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

Wizards won this trade big time, and coincidentally, the Lakers...a team that usually wins every trade they make....kinda look like a bunch of fools.

• Kuzma gets his fresh start and a chance to start and play 36 MPG. I think he's a legit candidate to become a 23ppg/7reb/3ast kind of guy by seasons end (and even more if Beal somehow decides to leave).
  • KCP, who is honestly one of the most underrated players from a 2-way player POV...Guy can shoot the ball and play perimeter defense. He was hands down the Lakers best 3-point shooter. Kinda feels like KCP could easily be a 6th man kinda guy, being first one off the bench and playing 25-32 nightly.
  • Harrell, who is undersized but plays with a ton of energy and is very underrated. He has defensive issues (due to his size), but the fact that he was involved as well....Lakers pretty much gave up all of their trade chips in one deal.

The fact that the Lakers went into the offseason needing to address their shooting and then made this deal to get arguably one of the worst PG-shooters in the league is kinda laughable. Russ is a great PG, brings star power, but I think we've seen enough of Russ to know he's probably not what the Lakers needed.

The rest of the offseason is going to be extremely interesting for the Lakers. My gut is telling me that they're hoping that them having a "Big-3" now is going to help lure in a few veterans for less money....but giving up KCP was a big loss IMO. Russ needs the ball in his hands and it'll be curious to see how the "Take pressure off LeBron" vs "Russ dribbling and going 1-on-1 too much" battle turns out.

On the other end, I actually like the Wizards roster more now than I did last year. And I actually believe that they are a piece away from having a pretty decent squad. It seems like Beal will be there for at least one more season....You've got Kuzma now, KCP, Harrell, Gafford, Rui going into his 3rd year, Thomas Bryant who should be back at some point, and just added Aaron Holiday (who I think is very underrated and needed to go to a team where he could can get 25+ minutes a night.

All in all, an interesting trade. Wizards I feel won this by a landslide, and when you take into consideration that Russ has a player option in 2022, the Lakers traded a lot away for what could be just a 1-year rental.

Yes agreed on some points. I thought the Sacramento deal made more sense as Buddy Hield would of provided a decent shooter and gave them more flexibility with roster structure due to their cap situation. Now they are 120 million in the hole with only 4 players signed and have to figure out what to do with:

Schroeder

Drummond

Caruso

THT

It's like the Heat situation all over again with only having a MLE and a bunch of Vet minimums being available. In this current climate who is willing to sign for the Vet Min?

Might can convince Carmelo and Whiteside, but as far as wing support they will need help and some quality shooters. Maybe Bullock or Porter for the MLE.

3 hours ago, MANGKANOR said:

Imagine.. 

Beal  / KCP / Kispert

Hachimura, Kuzma and Bertans are all scorers/shooters who play weak D; Holiday is unproven and played poorly so far; Brown is gone to bulls; Bryant and potentially Dinwiddie are coming off injuries; Harrell and Gafford can't play together and their best players Beal and KCP play the same position. I hate this team even if it's slightly better than last season.