Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

DeAndre Hopkins 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

 

Hopefully things stay football related and this thread doesn't turn into a total **** show. Just a heads up no one gives a **** about your opinion on COVID or vaccines on this forum.

However, considering the dude is talking about not playing I would say it's pretty relevant. Don't know how serious he is but it would suck to have him sit out after spending a top 2 pick. We've seen players sit out already for seemingly insignificant reasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's a lot of bluster/venting frustration.

I presume the guys who don't want to get vaccinated are going to stay that way, but it's hard for me to imagine that he (or most any other player, for that matter) would walk away and give up the millions in salary plus having to pay back portions of unearned signing bonuses. Note that he already deleted the tweet too - my guess is that it's his initial emotional reaction, and he'll either suck it up and deal with the protocols (which is my guess) or get vaccinated.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

 

Hopefully things stay football related and this thread doesn't turn into a total **** show. Just a heads up no one gives a **** about your opinion on COVID or vaccines on this forum.

However, considering the dude is talking about not playing I would say it's pretty relevant. Don't know how serious he is but it would suck to have him sit out after spending a top 2 pick. We've seen players sit out already for seemingly insignificant reasons. 

I just hope the league doesn't back off to appease these players. I don't care how many star players speak out against it, they need to stand their ground. I doubt anyone actually retires, but if they do, oh well. The league will be fine. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, trilly said:

I think it's a lot of bluster/venting frustration.

I presume the guys who don't want to get vaccinated are going to stay that way, but it's hard for me to imagine that he (or most any other player, for that matter) would walk away and give up the millions in salary plus having to pay back portions of unearned signing bonuses. Note that he already deleted the tweet too - my guess is that it's his initial emotional reaction, and he'll either suck it up and deal with the protocols (which is my guess) or get vaccinated.

Maybe. He deleted the initial tweet but he has tweeted stuff since. He tweeted "freedom?" and something about how his girlfriends brother had issues after taking the vaccine. I do agree that it's unlikely he steps away from the game. He's set to make big money in like 2023 and 2024. Doubt he walks away from around 40M over a damn vaccine. Again though, you never know. He's still made good money and we've seen players chose their health over the game numerous times. Again, what anyone here thinks about the vaccine doesn't matter but if this dude believes it'll harm him then nothing is out of the question.

It's something to monitor but most people don't draft for another month or so. I'm sure it will be sorted out by then. If it's late August and he still isn't practicing or something like that then i'd start to fade him.

 

6 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

I just hope the league doesn't back off to appease these players. I don't care how many star players speak out against it, they need to stand their ground. I doubt anyone actually retires, but if they do, oh well. The league will be fine. 

The thing is the league doesn't require it. They basically said if the virus spreads through your team because they aren't vaccinated then you will likely have to forfeit the game. To me that seems kind of like common sense. 

Edited by Gohawks
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Gohawks said:

The thing is the league doesn't require it. They basically said if the virus spreads through your team because they aren't vaccinated then you will likely have to forfeit the game. To me that seems kind of like common sense. 

Agreed! But these guys might keep threatening to walk off because it's "discrimination" to have different rules for the vaccinated and the unvaccinated. When it's just Beasley, it doesn't matter. If it's a bunch of high profile guys, (and a bunch of fans threatening to never watch the league again because "freedom") then the league might feel forced to ease up protocols. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • tonycpsu changed the title to DeAndre Hopkins 2021 Outlook
2 hours ago, ajs723 said:

I just hope the league doesn't back off to appease these players. I don't care how many star players speak out against it, they need to stand their ground. I doubt anyone actually retires, but if they do, oh well. The league will be fine. 

Exactly.

And it works both ways. Just like no one gives a **** about your opinion on Covid or vaccines on this forum, No one will give a **** about Hopkins retiring either.

It's entirely his choice. Comply or retire. No one gives a ****. 

The league will just move on.   

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm proud of Hopkins. Here take this shot that's not fda approved or will make it difficult on you and your family. Hopkins nah I'm good. He's right this isn't Nazi Germany or gang mentality or a cult. Freedom what we were built on? Now half the country is scared cause .15% death rate??? Guess who I don't want on my team a guy whose catch rate is .15% or completion rate of .15% and if my opponent wants to start someone with a success rate of .15% in any of those categories? I'll take those odds.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Gohawks said:

The thing is the league doesn't require it. They basically said if the virus spreads through your team because they aren't vaccinated then you will likely have to forfeit the game. To me that seems kind of like common sense. 

[I personally support the stand of the league regarding having to get vaxxed. I get that the NFL is doing it mostly for financial reasons, but it archives the goal, too. I however also understand the worries about the vaccine. Just one remark to @hard1s comment: Pleaser stop comparing this (and nearly everything else) to Nazi Germany. Forcing someone to get vaccinated is not even in the realm of what the Nazis did in the third Reich. It just normalizes the unfathomable amounts of pain, damage and destruction the regime in Germany has done back then. As a german, I really have my issues with how easily that comparison is thrown out nowadays, but I also don't want to completely derail this thread :)]

Anyhow, I am very interested in how the details of all of this looks.
"if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week schedule due to a COVID-19 outbreak among unvaccinated players"
What are the specifics? I'm not an expert in the vaccination, but with Great Britain starting the experiment on opening everything the amount of twice vaccinated people that are getting Covid is shooting up. Can they track who initially contracted it? I get the idea of peer pressuring the player into getting vaxxed (think of that tactic what you want), but would this hold up in a court that one employee is losing salary for another employes "fault"?
Really interesting to me, let alone from a legal standpoint. To me this looks like a try to scare players into getting vaccinated and if this is acutally executeable...time will tell.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hard1 said:

I'm proud of Hopkins. Here take this shot that's not fda approved or will make it difficult on you and your family. Hopkins nah I'm good. He's right this isn't Nazi Germany or gang mentality or a cult. Freedom what we were built on? Now half the country is scared cause .15% death rate??? Guess who I don't want on my team a guy whose catch rate is .15% or completion rate of .15% and if my opponent wants to start someone with a success rate of .15% in any of those categories? I'll take those odds.

Dude he works for a private company. Unvaccinated individuals aren't some protected class. I can't use hate speech at my job - are my rights being violated? 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

I'm proud of Hopkins. Here take this shot that's not fda approved or will make it difficult on you and your family. Hopkins nah I'm good. He's right this isn't Nazi Germany or gang mentality or a cult. Freedom what we were built on? Now half the country is scared cause .15% death rate??? Guess who I don't want on my team a guy whose catch rate is .15% or completion rate of .15% and if my opponent wants to start someone with a success rate of .15% in any of those categories? I'll take those odds.

He is free. He's not getting arrested. He lives in a free country where he is allowed to make his own decisions.

The NFL also exists in a free country, and they are allowed to make their own decisions. They can set whatever safety protocols they deem necessary. 

You really think the government should be stepping in and forcing private companies to have more dangerous working conditions than they choose. That seems....terrifying. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

He is free. He's not getting arrested. He lives in a free country where he is allowed to make his own decisions.

The NFL also exists in a free country, and they are allowed to make their own decisions. They can set whatever safety protocols they deem necessary. 

You really think the government should be stepping in and forcing private companies to have more dangerous working conditions than they choose. That seems....terrifying. 

 

Thats...not what he said at all.

This isn't a rule in the NFL that you ahve to be vaccinated.  After all, his body, his choice, right?

While I am vaccinated and believe he should get it, I am glad and proud he stood up for what he believes in.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mustangt125 said:

 

That's...not what he said at all.

This isn't a rule in the NFL that you ahve to be vaccinated.  After all, his body, his choice, right?

While I am vaccinated and believe he should get it, I am glad and proud he stood up for what he believes in.  I'll happily draft him and hope he falls cuz people are losing their minds and can't see past their masks.  

 

Whoops, messed up with the quoting/editing thing and for some reason delete isn't an option.

Edited by Mustangt125
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mustangt125 said:

 

Thats...not what he said at all.

This isn't a rule in the NFL that you ahve to be vaccinated.  After all, his body, his choice, right?

While I am vaccinated and believe he should get it, I am glad and proud he stood up for what he believes in.  

What is he standing up for? What's the injustice here? Honestly don't understand.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ajs723 said:

What is he standing up for? What's the injustice here? Honestly don't understand.

His body, his choice.  He can't be made or shamed into getting a vaccination he doesn't fully believe in.

We've heard non-stop for the past 18 months about the african american community.  Well guess what, they are hesitant to get vaccinations and don't trust the government.  Can't culture shame them now can we?  

Edited by Mustangt125
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mustangt125 said:

His body, his choice.  He can't be made or shamed into getting a vaccination he doesn't fully believe in.  

But no one is forcing him to do anything. He can do whatever he wants. The league is just putting safety protocols into place.

Again, what injustice is he standing up against?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ajs723 said:

But no one is forcing him to do anything. He can do whatever he wants. The league is just putting safety protocols into place.

Again, what injustice is he standing up against?

If you can't wrap your head around it yourself then I'm not sure I can help you.  

People are being shamed left right and center if they aren't getting vaccinated.  And he's calling that out saying it's BS that he ahs to consider his future in the NFL just cuz he won't get a vaccinate that isn't' even FD approved.  That tells me he's feeling enough pressure that he's felt compelled to speak about it.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mustangt125 said:

If you can't wrap your head around it yourself then I'm not sure I can help you.  

People are being shamed left right and center if they aren't getting vaccinated.  And he's calling that out saying it's BS that he ahs to consider his future in the NFL just cuz he won't get a vaccinate that isn't' even FD approved.  That tells me he's feeling enough pressure that he's felt compelled to speak about it.

 

Shamed? Really? The league has safety protocols. That's it. They aren't making him march naked down the streets of Phoenix while the lady from Game of Thrones shouts shame... shame... shame.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Mustangt125 said:

If you can't wrap your head around it yourself then I'm not sure I can help you.  

People are being shamed left right and center if they aren't getting vaccinated.  And he's calling that out saying it's BS that he ahs to consider his future in the NFL just cuz he won't get a vaccinate that isn't' even FD approved.  That tells me he's feeling enough pressure that he's felt compelled to speak about it.

 

as they should be. every person who doesn't get vaccinated for a nonmedical reason is a person who is giving the virus a chance to reproduce in their body. Every time that virus reproduces there's a chance it hits on a mutation that is resistant to our current vaccines and puts us right back to the middle of 2020. these people are not only putting themselves in danger they are continuing to put us all in danger. 

This is before you even get to the fact that hospitals in unvaccinated parts of the country are filling up again. Once again people with other medical issues are having to put them off for weeks or months due to hospitals being full of covid patients. Once again doctors and nurses are having to deal with these incredibly stressful situations for absolutely no reason.

You live in a society. Your choices affect more than just yourself and you absolutely deserve to be judged based on those decisions, harshly if they are potentially harmful to your community. 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, yossarian said:

as they should be. every person who doesn't get vaccinated for a nonmedical reason is a person who is giving the virus a chance to reproduce in their body. Every time that virus reproduces there's a chance it hits on a mutation that is resistant to our current vaccines and puts us right back to the middle of 2020. these people are not only putting themselves in danger they are continuing to put us all in danger. 

This is before you even get to the fact that hospitals in unvaccinated parts of the country are filling up again. Once again people with other medical issues are having to put them off for weeks or months due to hospitals being full of covid patients. Once again doctors and nurses are having to deal with these incredibly stressful situations for absolutely no reason.

You live in a society. Your choices affect more than just yourself and you absolutely deserve to be judged based on those decisions, harshly if they are potentially harmful to your community. 

Look, I have been vaccinated for months.  You don't have to sell me on it, so calm down.

The fact of the matter is he's a highly skilled, elite level talent in a highly competitive marketplac, and he's deserves to have a place based on merit.  And it's his body, his choice.  Seems the people that always spouted that line in the past aren't so fond of it anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Look, I have been vaccinated for months.  You don't have to sell me on it, so calm down.

The fact of the matter is he's a highly skilled, elite level talent in a highly competitive marketplac, and he's deserves to have a place based on merit.  And it's his body, his choice.  Seems the people that always spouted that line in the past aren't so fond of it anymore.

Who's arguing he doesn't have a place based on merit? What kind of strawman insanity is this?!  He is NOT getting kicked out of the league. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mustangt125 said:

Look, I have been vaccinated for months.  You don't have to sell me on it, so calm down.

The fact of the matter is he's a highly skilled, elite level talent in a highly competitive marketplac, and he's deserves to have a place based on merit.  And it's his body, his choice.  Seems the people that always spouted that line in the past aren't so fond of it anymore.

I thought my response was pretty calm. I appreciate that you're vaccinated and I'm glad that you and yours are safer for it. No snark, seriously. You've done your part to make yourself and your community safer.

Part of Hopkins's value in that marketplace is now a little bit predicated on whether or not he is vaccinated. The marketplace has changed with that NFL memo. will he?

and finally, regarding the "my body, my choice"--whilst I appreciate trying to assimilate the pro-choice slogan I'm pretty sure nobody's abortion ever lead to a dangerous mutation of a virus that had already killed 700,000-ish americans. Just saying.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Mustangt125 said:

Ultimately you can't make somebody do something to their body that they don't want.

Anyway - I am pick 3/12 and will be happier than hell if Hopkins is there at my 2nd round pick.  

For the final time, nobody is making him do anything to his body. If they were, I'd agree with you. 

The issue here is following safety protocols. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...