NBC Sports EDGE Forums

DeAndre Hopkins 2021 Outlook

16 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

For the final time, nobody is making him do anything to his body. If they were, I'd agree with you. 

The issue here is following safety protocols. 

If he felt that way, he wouldn't have spoken out.  For the final time.

He followed all safety protocols or he wouldn't have been allowed to play last year.  For the final time.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ajs723 said:

For the final time, nobody is making him do anything to his body. If they were, I'd agree with you. 

The issue here is following safety protocols. 

General atmosphere around people not wanting to get vaccinated is to shame them and make them feel stupid or that they are hurting others by not getting vaccinated. Yea nobody is "making" anyone do anything to their body but they are making life very uncomfortable for those not wanting the vaccine, clear as day. Its the same as the people outside planned parenthood type facilities yelling about abortion stuff and pro-life etc. hassling the women entering, its not a good look in both scenarios. Not getting vaccinated yes could effect others, but you also cant force people to put stuff in their body they don't want.

NFL has every right to do what they want as a business with protocols and all that. If the players don't like it they can retire. I have a feeling if Hopkins did step away over this he'd be greatly criticized even though its every persons right to do what they want with their body. 

• Like 1

Side Note - Cant vaccinated players still spread the virus? How would they know if it was the non vaccinated person or vaccinated person that caused the outbreak? I've seen multiple vaxxed people test positive so why does it come back on the non vaxxed if both parties can spread it?

28 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Side Note - Cant vaccinated players still spread the virus? How would they know if it was the non vaccinated person or vaccinated person that caused the outbreak? I've seen multiple vaxxed people test positive so why does it come back on the non vaxxed if both parties can spread it?

Supposedly, vaccinated people do not spread it as easily as non-vaccinated.  Something to do with virus load iirc.

• Thanks 1

Just now, K197040 said:

Supposedly, vaccinated people do not spread it as easily as non-vaccinated.  Something to do with virus load iirc.

That seems fair, but it still stands to reason then, even if less likely, the vaccinated player could've caused the spread in theory. Just seems like a lot of grey area that could cause trouble.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

General atmosphere around people not wanting to get vaccinated is to shame them and make them feel stupid or that they are hurting others by not getting vaccinated. Yea nobody is "making" anyone do anything to their body but they are making life very uncomfortable for those not wanting the vaccine, clear as day. Its the same as the people outside planned parenthood type facilities yelling about abortion stuff and pro-life etc. hassling the women entering, its not a good look in both scenarios. Not getting vaccinated yes could effect others, but you also cant force people to put stuff in their body they don't want.

NFL has every right to do what they want as a business with protocols and all that. If the players don't like it they can retire. I have a feeling if Hopkins did step away over this he'd be greatly criticized even though its every persons right to do what they want with their body. 

That is just a factual statement. If they feel ashamed of something that is objectively true, that's on them. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, hard1 said:

I'm proud of Hopkins. Here take this shot that's not fda approved or will make it difficult on you and your family. Hopkins nah I'm good. He's right this isn't Nazi Germany or gang mentality or a cult. Freedom what we were built on? Now half the country is scared cause .15% death rate??? Guess who I don't want on my team a guy whose catch rate is .15% or completion rate of .15% and if my opponent wants to start someone with a success rate of .15% in any of those categories? I'll take those odds.

The most upvoted post in this thread is comparing an optional vaccine to a dictatorship that committed genocide and killed 20M people. Alright…

I bet you people weren’t saying the NFL is a dictatorship for suspending guys for smoking weed eh? I mean it is their right…

• Like 2

I have this sneaky feeling that Hopkins truly goes berserk this year. Do I think Arizona can run the ball? Nah. Is their defense lights-out? Nah. Does a geriatric AJ Green bother me for targets? Nah. Will they be in shoot-outs almost every week? You betcha.

10 targets/game last year and honestly that might be his floor. I know you want Diggs and Adams coming off career years as your WR1, but if I'm going super-bold I'm trusting the Kingsbury offense, I'm trusting Kyler Murray, and I'm trusting that Arizona will still be playing 31-28 (W or L, who cares) each week. The grotesque side of me wants to pair him and Kelce at the 1/2 turn of my 0.5PPR's and work out the rest later.

Edit: and he somehow only had 6 TD's last year. If there's a positive regression candidate out there, I'd put him up there.

Edited by DeliciousGravy
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, thebadferret said:

[I personally support the stand of the league regarding having to get vaxxed. I get that the NFL is doing it mostly for financial reasons, but it archives the goal, too. I however also understand the worries about the vaccine. Just one remark to @hard1s comment: Pleaser stop comparing this (and nearly everything else) to Nazi Germany. Forcing someone to get vaccinated is not even in the realm of what the Nazis did in the third Reich. It just normalizes the unfathomable amounts of pain, damage and destruction the regime in Germany has done back then. As a german, I really have my issues with how easily that comparison is thrown out nowadays, but I also don't want to completely derail this thread :)]

Anyhow, I am very interested in how the details of all of this looks.
"if a game cannot be rescheduled during the 18-week schedule due to a COVID-19 outbreak among unvaccinated players"
What are the specifics? I'm not an expert in the vaccination, but with Great Britain starting the experiment on opening everything the amount of twice vaccinated people that are getting Covid is shooting up. Can they track who initially contracted it? I get the idea of peer pressuring the player into getting vaxxed (think of that tactic what you want), but would this hold up in a court that one employee is losing salary for another employes "fault"?
Really interesting to me, let alone from a legal standpoint. To me this looks like a try to scare players into getting vaccinated and if this is acutally executeable...time will tell.

It all starts with not being able to read a certain book. 

6 hours ago, ajs723 said:

He is free. He's not getting arrested. He lives in a free country where he is allowed to make his own decisions.

The NFL also exists in a free country, and they are allowed to make their own decisions. They can set whatever safety protocols they deem necessary. 

You really think the government should be stepping in and forcing private companies to have more dangerous working conditions than they choose. That seems....terrifying. 

Terrifying is someone making someone take something that's not approved by the fda. Also Terrifying that you can still contract covid while being forced to take a shot that we don't know the full spectrum of consequences. Your vaxxed? Cool, me and Deandre don't effect you. Cause your protected. With your unlicensed not full proof 100% guaranteed vaccine.

Edited by hard1

1 minute ago, hard1 said:

Terrifying is someone making someone take something that's not approved by the fda. Also Terrifying that you can still contract covid while being forced to take a shot that we don't know the full spectrum of consequences. Your vaxxed? Cool, me and Deandre don't affect you. Cause your protected. With your unlicensed not full proof 100% guaranteed vaccine.

Using the wrong form of "your" once is alright. Twice? Can't let it slide.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Gohawks said:

Using the wrong form of "your" once is alright. Twice? Can't let it slide.

But ajs is cool to voice his amongst others? Cool. Gotcha. 

Back to Hopkins. No mike Thomas Hopkins is the number one wr hands down and already was. Huge year incoming.

I really don't get where people are making it seem like these players are being forced, they aren't. If they don't get it, they have to adhere to the same protocols as last year. I don't remember many people claiming they would retire or compare the protocols to being in prison, and it was a small minority that opted out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Terrifying is someone making someone take something that's not approved by the fda. Also Terrifying that you can still contract covid while being forced to take a shot that we don't know the full spectrum of consequences. Your vaxxed? Cool, me and Deandre don't effect you. Cause your protected. With your unlicensed not full proof 100% guaranteed vaccine.

Agreed. That would be really scary. Thank God that literally isn't happening, at all. 

53 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Actually....people like YOU and DEANDRE are the reason this virus is spreading still. Thanks. 

yes.. vaccine hesitancy does affect us all.

Edited by SyNdicateZ
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SyNdicateZ said:

Actually....people like YOU and DEANDRE are the reason this virus is spreading still. Thanks. 

yes.. vaccine hesitancy does affect us all.

Last comment from me about this subject. But you follow football and sports I assume and know a thing or two about percentages. Death rate .15% does not equal we all have to have a shot that's not guaranteed or approved. Here's some food for thought guess we should never have any of these things anymore either and ban them from the shelves. 

https://www.menshealth.com/health/g19543623/food-contaminants/

11 minutes ago, hard1 said:

Last comment from me about this subject. But you follow football and sports I assume and know a thing or two about percentages. Death rate .15% does not equal we all have to have a shot that's not guaranteed or approved. Here's some food for thought guess we should never have any of these things anymore either and ban them from the shelves. 

Right, I mean, That's only... *does math*... Over ten million people. Oh... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, hard1 said:

Its guaranteed u survive covid if you are vaccinated...ill take that and not chance covid unvaccinated.

Im fine growing a horn from my forehead in a few years than dying of covid if those r my options.

If the news about ARod retiring is true, and MT sits out the season start with an ankle injury, I'm ready to debate Hopkins as the overall WR1 this year. Other candidates Diggs and Hill (obvs); I think anyone outside of these three is down a tier.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DeliciousGravy said:

If the news about ARod retiring is true, and MT sits out the season start with an ankle injury, I'm ready to debate Hopkins as the overall WR1 this year. Other candidates Diggs and Hill (obvs); I think anyone outside of these three is down a tier.

No way Hopkis is WR1 this year overall. I bet a Bengals WR has better stats than him (Higgins)

7 hours ago, hard1 said:

tenor.gif?itemid=15709712

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1