NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cleveland Guardians 2021 Outlook

2 minutes ago, Richard Kimble said:

I liked Spiders more, but doesn't this go into effect next year?

That would have made too much sense, but also could have alienated the arachnophobic segment of the populous.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 minute ago, colorado2013 said:

Should have gone with Spiders, IMO.

This would have been the second best solution, the best of course is not giving in and changing the name at all...

• Like 8

Changing name  

actual name itself - Meh, generic, but could be worse (IE spiders, I don’t need my biggest fear as a baseball team)

logo- 🔥 (I love it, genuinely cool imo)

font- what is this, I irrationally hate it 

All in all, I’ll give it a solid 6/10.  Could EASILY have been worse overall.  Hope my Braves don’t mess it up more when they change in the coming years 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Richard Kimble said:

I liked Spiders more, but doesn't this go into effect next year?

Yeah I thought sure they would go back to their earlier name.

Guardians is suppose to be after two lame statues named the same located somewhere in Cleveland.  In other words they named the team after two stone stiffs.

[...]

I do like the lettering except the big C that had a goatee hanging from it's upper part making it look unbalanced and like it is about to fall or roll over.  Also the "Flying G" has got to go.  Spidys, you need cool spidys, Cleveland.  It and "Wild Things" were the runners-up I hear.  Both of these would have been fun but God forbid Cleveland can every have fun with the "concerned citizens" that had a campaign to push "Guardians" into place.

PS:  Okay one point in their favor.  They actually chose a name however lame within a year.  The "Washington Football Club" announced it is going to go through a second full season unable to choose one because ... well, no one knows because why. 

9 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

Changing name  

actual name itself - Meh, generic, but could be worse (IE spiders, I don’t need my biggest fear as a baseball team)

logo- 🔥 (I love it, genuinely cool imo)

font- what is this, I irrationally hate it 

All in all, I’ll give it a solid 6/10.  Could EASILY have been worse overall.  Hope my Braves don’t mess it up more when they change in the coming years 

One of the few I've seen that actually like the logo

Why couldn't they have just changed the logo and call it a day? Is saying Indians that offensive compared to Native Americans? Maybe I'm just ignorant but I don't see "Indian" as derogatory word and I have yet to hear it used as a derogatory word in my life as well which may just be the type of people I hang around is why I haven't heard it used in a bad manner. 

Edited by kmoore1521
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaytwo said:

As a lifelong Indians fan, this is a pretty sad day…

And THIS is what they go with??? Too cute by half going Guar-dians. But the logo, my god. Truly AWFUL.

This is the comment I’m surprised most with, fwiw.  What don’t you like about the logo?  It’s aesthetically pleasing and has two G’s “guarding” the baseball, which means it fits the name in a really clever way.    

The team says the 'G' logo "purposefully wraps around and protects the baseball — guarding everything that makes this game great," adding that it is also "a nod to the split-finger fastball — a tribute to our strong pitching heritage."

this split finger thing is kinda cool too 

Edited by Fbaseballgod

Okay I found this funny:

The Indians announced Friday that they will be known as the Cleveland Guardians following the conclusion of the 2021 season.

The organization announced a while ago that they would be changing their nickname and now we know what it will be. "Guardians" is a reference to a structure on the Hope Memorial Bridge in Cleveland which is known as the "Guardians of Traffic," and it is incorporated into their new logo, as well.

Source: Cleveland Indians on Twitter         Jul 23, 2021, 10:10 AM ET

So their new team name means Stone Traffic Cops in Cleveland.  Be more fun at least if it was "Stoned" Traffic Cops.

36 minutes ago, desert86 said:

a little insight into the name:  https://waitingfornextyear.com/2020/07/cleveland-indians-in-defense-of-cleveland-guardians/

If you want to know more image search Hope Memorial Bridge or Guardians of Traffic.

The name seems a little weak, but it has local flair I suppose. The flying G logo comes from the headgear on one of the statues:

Thanks for the pic!

The flying G helmet is a ripoff of the generic "Mercury" style winged helmet based on the Roman god who of course ripped him off from the Greek's Mercury 1.0 aka Hermes.  And he is suppose to be the herald of the gods.  Not a freaking traffic cop let alone be holding some tiny car from the 1920's or 30's.  LOL!

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Haha 1

So the name / logo change is not only terribly unimaginative and way too niche, it's also lazy. They basically crammed the word "Guardians" into where "Indians" used to be. It also makes me wonder how bad the other names were that didn't make the cut. The Cleveland Brown Adjacents? The Cleveland Pieroguys? The Cleveland Steamers? 

In all seriousness though the correct choice was the "Cleveland Rocks!". They would have annually been in the top 10 of MLB merch sales with that name. 

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, desert86 said:

a little insight into the name:  https://waitingfornextyear.com/2020/07/cleveland-indians-in-defense-of-cleveland-guardians/

If you want to know more image search Hope Memorial Bridge or Guardians of Traffic.

The name seems a little weak, but it has local flair I suppose. The flying G logo comes from the headgear on one of the statues: spacer.png

This certainly helps to put things in context, but it's sort of like when you tell a joke to someone (then have to explain it after). The new name not only sounds bad it's wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too niche especially if their goal is to sell merch (which it should be).