Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Cleveland Guardians 2021 Outlook


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, jmcampbe11 said:

So the name / logo change is not only terribly unimaginative and way too niche, it's also lazy. They basically crammed the word "Guardians" into where "Indians" used to be. It also makes me wonder how bad the other names were that didn't make the cut. The Cleveland Brown Adjacents? The Cleveland Pieroguys? The Cleveland Steamers? 

In all seriousness though the correct choice was the "Cleveland Rocks!". They would have annually been in the top 10 of MLB merch sales with that name.

One of the two runner-ups I believe (along with Spiders) was Wild Things based on the Major League movies.  That would have accomplished the same thing basically and made the guy who wrote the song tons in residuals if the team bought the song rights to go along with their new name. 

Also good merchandising sales too.  I mean so would Spiders because who wouldn't want a cool spidy tee to wear.  Well other than people with arachnophobia I guess.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

One of the two runner-ups I believe (along with Spiders) was Wild Things based on the Major League movies.  That would have accomplished the same thing basically and made the guy who wrote the song tons in residuals if the team bought the song rights to go along with their new name.

I think he's probably doing all right for money. He just sold the rights (to use the song) to a wrestling company. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

One of the two runner-ups I believe (along with Spiders) was Wild Things based on the Major League movies.  That would have accomplished the same thing basically and made the guy who wrote the song tons in residuals if the team bought the song rights to go along with their new name. 

Also good merchandising sales too.  I mean so would Spiders because who wouldn't want a cool spidy tee to wear.  Well other than people with arachnophobia I guess.

...but Spiders has zero ties to the City. The goal should have been to find a sweet spot between something Cleveland specific and something that resonated with the casual fans. Also, Marvel kind of has the market cornered on spiders. So unless they planned on selling them stadium naming rights to Marvel they basically would have been destined to be the Go-Bots of MLB. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

A bunch of grown men, crying about a made up name, for a made up game, with misplaced loyalty to a group of people that are hired/fired/cut/leave/traded/retire at the drop of a hat for a few extra dollars to the other made up name/team that plays against you the next week.

Anyone who tries to argue is a hypocrite.  Either you're loyal to the organization/history/heritage/culture or you're only loyal to the name of the team.
If you're only loyal to the name of the team, then you aren't a true fan, and you shouldn't care what they call it.
If you're loyal to the organization, then the name doesn't matter.

I promise, just like the Washington Football Team, you'll be over it in a year.
 

You Go Girl GIFs | Tenor

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, FFCollusion said:

A bunch of grown men, crying about a made up name, for a made up game, with misplaced loyalty to a group of people that are hired/fired/cut/leave/traded/retire at the drop of a hat for a few extra dollars to the other made up name/team that plays against you the next week.

Anyone who tries to argue is a hypocrite.  Either you're loyal to the organization/history/heritage/culture or you're only loyal to the name of the team.
If you're only loyal to the name of the team, then you aren't a true fan, and you shouldn't care what they call it.
If you're loyal to the organization, then the name doesn't matter.

I promise, just like the Washington Football Team, you'll be over it in a year.
 

Already over it...  I will still be calling them the Indians...

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Cleveland Rocks is incredibly cheesy and I'm glad sanity prevailed. I'll let you guys in on some insider Ohio knowledge. This isn't a particularly refined state that puts a lot of thought into marketing, or anything, really. The team sold out basically every game in the 90s and now no one even bothers unless they're sniffing the postseason (could be awhile). It's a largely bandwagon following and I don't see that changing in the near future. We're the people who vacation in Mexico and ask where the hot dogs are at the resort buffet.

Cleveland will always be a football town...  Like you said, the other sports only gain interest if there is a playoff push...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guardians sounds minor league-ish. I think it was the name of an XFL team. Seems uninspired. I thought the Vegas Golden Knights was bad. This is worse. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a missed opportunity.  I say this as someone who has rooted for them to win a WS so long as it wasn't at the expense of my Yankees.  The "Indians" are pretty much seen (or perceived) as one of the more loser franchises in all of sports.   That may be unfair considering how competitive they've been the last decade plus, but the harsh reality is they haven't won (that city hadn't won till the Cavs a couple of years ago) a title in forever.    With the renaming of the franchise they could have ripped up the script and set the tone for a new beginning, but sorry folks,  the Cleveland "Guardians" and that awful logo ain't it.  

The guardians of what?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

What a missed opportunity.  I say this as someone who has rooted for them to win a WS so long as it wasn't at the expense of my Yankees.  The "Indians" are pretty much seen (or perceived) as one of the more loser franchises in all of sports.   That may be unfair considering how competitive they've been the last decade plus, but the harsh reality is they haven't won (that city hadn't won till the Cavs a couple of years ago) a title in forever.    With the renaming of the franchise they could have ripped up the script and set the tone for a new beginning, but sorry folks,  the Cleveland "Guardians" and that awful logo ain't it.  

The guardians of what?

The Galaxy?

Edited by posty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

Cleveland Rocks is incredibly cheesy and I'm glad sanity prevailed. I'll let you guys in on some insider Ohio knowledge. This isn't a particularly refined state that puts a lot of thought into marketing, or anything, really. The team sold out basically every game in the 90s and now no one even bothers unless they're sniffing the postseason (could be awhile). It's a largely bandwagon following and I don't see that changing in the near future. We're the people who vacation in Mexico and ask where the hot dogs are at the resort buffet.

As a Cleveland resident, you aren’t wrong. As a possible merch buyer, I will just be buying gear that has Cleveland only on it. Maybe I will warm up eventually, but I am a little disappointed in the name myself. Spiders would have sat better with me.

EDIT: Sign me up for Cleveland River Fires 

Edited by drunkb
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Double post. A guy called in to local sports talk radio today and said that Paul Dolan is so cheap that he chose GuarDIANS so he don’t have to pay for the extra 5 letters. 🤣

Edited by drunkb
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jmcampbe11 said:

...but Spiders has zero ties to the City. The goal should have been to find a sweet spot between something Cleveland specific and something that resonated with the casual fans. Also, Marvel kind of has the market cornered on spiders. So unless they planned on selling them stadium naming rights to Marvel they basically would have been destined to be the Go-Bots of MLB. 

What???  The Spiders were the original name of the Cleveland team who then changed their name to "Indians."  Spiders goes back to the roots of the team.  You can't get more "specific" than that and there was a LOT of support in Cleveland for Spiders from what I read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Spiders

1 hour ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Guardians sounds minor league-ish. I think it was the name of an XFL team. Seems uninspired. I thought the Vegas Golden Knights was bad. This is worse.

Hey my junior high (yeah junior high, not "middle school") were the Golden Knights and we steam rolled to winning the basketball championships every single year I was there.  Though granted I had nothing to do with the rolling, hah.  "Gold and white, Golden Knights!"

30 minutes ago, drunkb said:

As a Cleveland resident, you aren’t wrong. As a possible merch buyer, I will just be buying gear that has Cleveland only on it. Maybe I will warm up eventually, but I am a little disappointed in the name myself. Spiders would have sat better with me.

Apparently fans were making up Spiders stuff online for awhile.  Here is an example complete with the C hanging out the a** of the spider, haha.  And even a covid protection mask featuring same.

http://michaelmcfarlandmusic.com/2016/10/24/cleveland-baseball-time-for-a-new-name-and-logo-cleveland-spiders/

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

One of the two runner-ups I believe (along with Spiders) was Wild Things based on the Major League movies.  That would have accomplished the same thing basically and made the guy who wrote the song tons in residuals if the team bought the song rights to go along with their new name. 

Also good merchandising sales too.  I mean so would Spiders because who wouldn't want a cool spidy tee to wear.  Well other than people with arachnophobia I guess.

 

They were only allowed to go with 'Wild Things" if Mitch Williams would have made the announcement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...