Cleveland Guardians 2021 Outlook

2 hours ago, Tuco61 said:

I hate the name just saying 

It just doesn’t roll off the tongue well

The Cleveland Nation

Tell me that’s not cool

This actually comes across as a ripoff of Bachelor Nation lol

14 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

It's funny seeing all the people who aren't fans of the franchise and don't really follow or care about the team suddenly have strong opinions about something that doesn't concern them in the slightest.

There aren't any actual Indians fans so somebody has to do it

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

https://nypost.com/2021/07/27/cleveland-guardians-name-change-hits-roller-derby-snag/?__s=fhct7emwlzuajivcglop

The newly renamed Cleveland Guardians aren’t the only Guardians in town.

When the Cleveland Indians announced their name change last week, the move was met with a mixed reaction among baseball fans. It also raised a red flag with a local roller derby team named the… Cleveland Guardians.

That could spell trouble for the baseball club, as their neighbors on skates are the owners of the clevelandguardians.com domain, as well as social media monikers it might be interested in — @ClevelandGuardians on Instagram and Facebook.

Using @Guardians is not an option either, as the handle is owned by Disney and its “Guardians of the Galaxy” franchise.

While the roller derby team appears to have abandoned its trademark, the Bryant Street Sports LLC of New York filed for trademarks protections for “Cleveland Guardians” in 2020. The Indians objected to the application this month, and the filing was withdrawn on July 21 — which may signify the sides worked something out, or that the baseball team filed its own application.

That would just leave the URL — with an unknown ownership calendar with the roller derby team having first right of renewal — and social media handles to be worked out.

The Indians don’t plan to make the Guardians switch until after the 2021 season, so there’s some time to work things out, though with the team five games out of an AL wild-card spot with 65 games left in the regular season, there may not a whole lot of it left.

-------

Give them hell roller hockey team...  Don't give in!!!

• Like 2

Well Guardians isn't a bad name for a Roller Derby team I guess.  About the level of professional sports that name conjures up.  Hahaha.

And did the Cleveland baseball team even bother to do even a simple google search before they stepped into this silly doo-doo here?

I'd like to hear more of the reactions from Clevelend among fans that accept the name needs to be changed ... not the old holdouts crowd.  Do they like Guardians or do they hate it or do they not care anymore because the owner doesn't care about his team obviously.

Latter refers to a year or so ago when he was caught saying basically all they needed was to make the playoffs to turn a profit/keep fan base and they don't need to go all in to win it all.  This year it looks like he can't even do that.

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

I really saw no problem with the indians, why such a sudden change?

LOL.  It wasn't exactly "sudden" you know.  Native Americans have been asking for this for literally decades.  And the front office were in serious talks with various tribal groups for a couple of years now.  Then there was a full year with the public discussing what new name they would choose.

I still vote Spiders which was this team's original name way back at the turn of the 19th century.

2 hours ago, 1972Miamidolphins said:

Im dropping my mic after this but any talks would be in line with the new cancel culture, again i saw no problem with the name, thats my opinion, i will not reply

It’s not cancel culture.  It’s not like it was a group of random internet people trying to “cancel” them for no reason whatsoever.  Actual Native Americans were offended and so they changed it.  It’s that simple 

12 minutes ago, Fbaseballgod said:

It’s not cancel culture.  It’s not like it was a group of random internet people trying to “cancel” them for no reason whatsoever.  Actual Native Americans were offended and so they changed it.  It’s that simple 

Well there’s thousands of Cowboys who are offended! They don’t want to be associated with the SJW of the NFL. Maybe they can change to the Dallas Cuckboys