NBC Sports EDGE Forums

LaMonte Wade Jr. 2021 Outlook

Ok seriously, he has long since graduated from weekly waiver wire tout in my eyes. He needs his own thread, as he's become a real contributor in mixed leagues when most expected NL-only relevance, at best. Hit 2 bombs today, another one yesterday, and has staked out a claim to the leadoff spot in the potent Giants lineup. He's got 1B/OF eligibility, runs a little bit, he's an all-around success story, and his production seems sustainable. Some waiver pickups like Tyler O'Neil and Adolis Garcia were carrying teams early, but have fallen off lately, but Wade has been totally under the radar. Its time to show him some love, he's only 4% rostered in Yahoo! That number is a travesty of epic proportions.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

like this guy, too, but quite a few LHP this week and the Giants love to platoon/pinch hit etc

La Stella and Longoria are returning soon too. I'm wondering how the crowded infield is going to affect Wade. He was the one sent down last month (June 21) when Dickerson returned to the outfield, even though Wade was hitting very well at the time. 

I'm thinking we see something similar again. Even if he stays up he won't be batting consistently. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, disgruntledf said:

La Stella and Longoria are returning soon too. I'm wondering how the crowded infield is going to affect Wade. He was the one sent down last month (June 21) when Dickerson returned to the outfield, even though Wade was hitting very well at the time. 

I'm thinking we see something similar again. Even if he stays up he won't be batting consistently. 

After yesterday and today no way is he being sent down.  And if he keeps hitting he will get everyday playing time.  That is how it works.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

After yesterday and today no way is he being sent down.  And if he keeps hitting he will get everyday playing time.  That is how it works.

I understand that logically a team will keep the extremely hot bat in the lineup. My only concern is that the playing time gets really muddy when all the infielders are healthy and SF had no problem choosing others over Wade last time, even when he was hitting .265/.344/.470. Not to mention that Wade has really only been extremely hot in the past 5 games or so. Small sample size.

So essentially you see him sticking in the lineup at 1B against righties and the real casualty of the busy infield (when La Stella and Longoria return) will be at 2nd base where La Stella/Solano/Flores will be competing for playing time? And when Belt comes back Wade will get regular playing time in OF?

I'm trying to piece this together. I have the opportunity to grab from a few of the Giants but looking for something that should be good beyond the next couple of weeks. Assuming that Wade doesn't keep up this kind of pace that he has the past week (which he won't - to this extent) then I think this might be a poor option for long term purely because of questionable playing time.

Probably worth trying to ride the wave at the moment though. Just for everyone's reference:

Since Wade's last call-up until the all-star break (June 25-July 11): 13 GP / .206 AVG / 5 runs / 3HR / 6 RBI

From the all-stair break to today (July 16-July 25th): 10 GP / .323 AVG / 7 runs / 5HR / 10 RBI

Also, 4 out of the next 7 games against lefties. So next week or so might not be all that great.

Edited by disgruntledf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

The entire giants organization has been "if you play well (even in AAA), you play" all season long. Estrada, wade, rogers (closing), the list goes on. And, (somehow) surprisingly, it has worked. He will continue to play. 

Below are the giants last 3 lineups. I have underlined 4-5 guys every single day that would have no business bumping Wade out of the lineup (including the aforementioned Estrada). Plenty of room for La Stella, Crawford, Longoria and Belt to coexist with Wade.

Wade is still hitless against LHP so a platoon does make sense, perhaps with Ruf. 

1. LaMonte Wade Jr (L) RF

2. Donovan Solano (R) 2B

3. Alex Dickerson (L) LF

4. Darin Ruf (R) 1B

5. Wilmer Flores (R) 3B

6. Steven Duggar (L) CF

7. Thairo Estrada (R) SS

8. Curt Casali (R) C

9. Alex Wood (R) P

1. LaMonte Wade Jr (L) 1B

2. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF

3. Buster Posey (R) C

4. Alex Dickerson (L) LF

5. Wilmer Flores (R) 2B

6. Jason Vosler (L) 3B

7. Thairo Estrada (R) SS

8. Steven Duggar (L) CF

9. Kevin Gausman (L) P

1. LaMonte Wade Jr (L) 1B

2. Mike Yastrzemski (L) RF

3. Buster Posey (R) C

4. Alex Dickerson (L) LF

5. Donovan Solano (R) 2B

6. Jason Vosler (L) 3B

7. Thairo Estrada (R) SS

8. Steven Duggar (L) CF

9. Johnny Cueto (R) P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for perfectly illustrating the point. LaMonte is also growing in popularity in the clubhouse, from the mentions I've heard on broadcasts, which makes his lineup spot even more secure to me. I do think partnering him with Ruf is a good way to maximize them. Those avoiding the add because of extra LHP in this week's slate could regret it by the time someone else snaps him up. His performance demands a little leap of faith, certainly in all deep leagues he is must own, and at 12-team and above he's a solid option.

• Like 2

I was at the game yesterday and it feels like the fanbase is really starting to like him and see him as a very important player to the team. That said he's still 0-18 against LHP this season so unless he starts hitting lefties (this would be a good week to start) I dont see how he gets out of this platoon.

• Like 3

I think Wade is indeed worth an add in deeper formats, but it's more of a spec add for the stretch run.

Not only are there a bunch of lefties coming up, but the righties he's projected to face are mostly top tier. Widener (I hardly know her!), and Kelly are really the only righties that you're thrilled to start him against in the next two weeks. Keep in mind that a lot of his recent production has come against RHP with either no or bad changeups. 

(Standard caveat that this is all subject to change, especially the MIL series since Counsell will definitely be shuffling guys around). 

image.png.43e0df9f1b2216b307ddbc6d4afcb63f.png

@stay_wokementioned the 0fer v LHP so far this year, but it's worth noting that SF gave Wade his first start v LHP all season last week vs Julio Urias. As the roster is currently constructed, one of Wade/Tauchman/Duggar/Dickerson will need to start v LHP. No player's splits are as extreme as what Wade has shown so far in 2021 and he's almost forcing the Giants to see what they have, and so I think it's likely that Wade will pick up a few starts v LHP until Brandon Crawford is back (which would allow Thairo Estrada to play in the OF) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

starting against the LHP today, hitting 6th

Good, and expected, and while I agree he needs to show something this week to avoid the platoon, lets not tie his value solely to this week. Once the trade deadline dominoes fall, we'll have a better idea, but don't cut him if he goes 0-4 tonight, sits tomorrow and doesn't hit again the following game (not you, just in general). He's a flier at this point so a little patience is necessary. 

Edited by Richard Kimble
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, WTP333 said:

Wade/Bart for Bryant being reported

guess that was misinformation. sorry about that. it was a verified account, though....not bog nightengale either lol