NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Torn--trade of Castillo + for Verdugo +

I have been offered Luis Castillo and Pavin Smith

for

Alex Verdugo and prospect Michael Busch and prospect Matt Liberatore (or Matt Manning)

I am in a dog fight for the playoffs, while I  have a good rotation I want Castillo to push me over. 

This trade seems fair doesn't it? 

I think it's pretty fair. You get a great SP who's been as good as anyone since his earlier struggles  and Pavin nets you back some offense. Verdugo has been solid but not amazing and getting droppedower in the order. Hard to say how those prospects pan out and when. 

Thanks for the feedback, I want him to give me a 2023 2nd round pick. His team is pretty good so it won't be a high 2nd I don't suspect but it just felt a bit uneasy for me. I am a huge Verdugo fan, but lets face it other than what should be a usually high average he won't wow you with steals or homers, I am thinking 20 homer/10 steals, for a CF/LF/RF guy that's credible, but not franchise altering, but some guys I just like and he's one  (on a note I play two leagues and  have him in both).

With Pavin Smith, his versatility is as good as Verdugo and while he steals even less, there could be more power coming with him. That was always his weak point, he hit 4 homers in July which isn't mind blowing but if he could average that he's pushing 25 homers. 

The trade seems fair, though if you are really pushing for a title maybe ask for a lesser SP back than Castillo? That way you can get the prospects and still compete. I’d also take Liberatore over Manning personally.

Just wondering if I was competing, which I am, why wouldn't I want the better SP? 

I get going after the "lesser pitcher". I have talks with an owner for Kershaw. He would cost me one of my SPs, but I wouldn't have to give up Michael Busch or Verdugo. It would be someone like Liberatore/Manning and Ryan Vilade or Rodolfo Castro type