NBC Sports EDGE Forums

8/1 - GAME DAY THREAD

I put this in the Mets thread but for those of you not wanting to wander into that thread, the Mets kick off the month of August in typical Mets way and since the deadline is today I'll put it here too:

According to Jeff Passan of ESPN, the Mets do not plan to sign first-round pick Kumar Rocker before the 5pm deadline on Sunday.

If Rocker and the Mets do not come to an agreement by 5pm Sunday, the Vanderbilt standout may return to campus while New York will receive the number 11 pick in next year’s MLB draft. This is a potential disaster for the Mets front office and scouting department.

Oh Mets you bring the funny at times.  Why do you think the 10 other teams ahead of you in the draft passed over him?

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

GREAT ending in TBT semi-final game just now 

What is a TBT and when did baseball have TBT's?  (Turner Broadcasting Tournament maybe).  🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile ...

Betts will play second base today in an effort to limit the amount of running he needs to do on his sore hip, and it sounds like it will be more than a one-time thing. Betts did get one start at second base last year, his first since 2014, and he played three innings at the position in a game earlier this season. The extra eligibility would give him some additional fantasy value.

Wouldn't making quick stops and starts and diving on the ground for balls also be bad for a sore hip too? 

Also, reason #3,841 why the NL needs the DH asap.

9 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What is a TBT and when did baseball have TBT's?  (Turner Broadcasting Tournament maybe).  🤷‍♂️

Meanwhile ...

Wouldn't making quick stops and starts and diving on the ground for balls also be bad for a sore hip too? 

Also, reason #3,841 why the NL needs the DH asap.

A million dollar single elimination winner take all hoops tourney that is in its 8th year now

1 minute ago, BMcP said:

Ok for realz - who the F is Rafael Ortega?

A guy who I just added on all of my teams, so basically a guy about to go 0 for his next 20.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Ok for realz - who the F is Rafael Ortega?

He came up the same day as Wisdom, didn't get much noticed but has turned into a favorite of Ross at the top of the lineup, solid hitter, but this is nuts I didn't think he'd do this!

Just now, murraygd13 said:

Heuer used by the Cubs after Winkler and Ryan today...but in the bottom of the 8th.  So if there is a save chance..will go to????

Brothers would be my guess??? As the rest of the of the Cubs bullpen is like 3 or 4 guys I've never heard of.

Jazz Chisolm just made 2 errors on the same play...made me ask has anyone ever made 3 errors on the same play....turns out in 1899 a player made 4 errors on the same play!

And the rest of the story is quite interesting.

Sometimes, I come across something so insane, so ridiculous, that I have to find a way to tie to Philadelphia, no matter how tentative the connection. This is one of those times. Mike Grady was born in Kennett Square, and started his career for the Phillies, so there’s your connection. But it was a couple of things he did while a member of the Giants that makes this story worth writing.

In 1899, Grady had a ground ball hit to him while playing third base. He bobbled it, committing error number one. He then scooped it up and threw it to first, sailing it over the first baseman’s head. Error #2. The right fielder chased it down, and noticed the runner taking off for third. He threw it to Grady. The ball bounced off his glove and headed to the outfield. The runner broke for home. Grady ran, grabbed the ball, and still had a shot at glory, if he could just nail the runner at the plate. He could not. The ball went sailing over the catchers glove, giving poor Mike Grady 4 errors in one play.

However, the Chester County native would go from goat to hero less than a year later. He was walking to the Polo Grounds with teammates Kid Gleason (who would later manage the Black Sox) and George Davis. They saw smoke and flames rising from an apartment building. Davis scurried up a fire escape and rescued a woman from the 3rd floor. Gleason and Grady ran up to the 4th floor, rescuing a Mrs. Tibbets and her 3 year old. Grady then ran back up to the 3rd floor and helped to rescue a Mrs. Pease. The three players then made their way to the ballpark, where they tied the Boston Beaneaters 10-10. In September of that year, Grady and Davis were both involved in what is believed to be the first triple steal in MLB history. Grady retired to Kennett Square, where he passed away in 1943 at age 73. He is in the Chester County Hall of Fame.

• Like 3

Willson Contreras in left field, this is weirdness brought on by all those trades. I did wonder if Ross wasn't going to stick Willson somewhere to get the hot bat of Robinson Chirinos in the lineup a little more.

Here comes 100 MPH throwing Manny Rodriguez in the 9th for the Cubbies in a tie game, first chance I've seen him...gives up a leadoff HR to Yadiel Hernandez, his 2nd HR of the day. Stole the thunder from Ortega's 3 HR day. 

Edited by Richard Kimble

5 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Did anyone see if Michael Brantley got hurt?  Replaced in like the 4th inning after 2 at bats

I think it was ankle discomfort