NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 August Closer Thread

As we enter August, the trade deadline left a wake in its path across the Closerverse. Who is head of the White Sox dual monster? Same for Toronto? Some guys like Lou Trivino and Ian Kennedy became safer as closers, while closers like Soria, Garcia and Rodriguez were all dealt, stashers with shares of Hudson, Tepera, Chafin, etc., were left fuming. Baseball is funny like that. The Rays are a total mystery, as are the Cubs, Rangers, Twins, Marlins. A few early returns suggest Cole Sulser, Kyle Finnegan, Tyler Clippard are heads of their respective situations. Bad teams, but not much threat to any of them at the moment. There's also this-grabbed from @meh2from the end of July's thread:

Plus my recycled visual representation of all the Clase owners in Fantasyland next to the Karinchak owners today:

High fives ....... big fail - GIF on Imgur

Let's get speculating!

• Like 2

Those are all ugly situations, my friend.

After last night I like Heuer significantly more than any other pitcher in the Cubs pen for a source of saves. He has very inconsistent with the White Sox but has great stuff, and like I argued for Feyereisen earlier this year, teams acquiring a guy like this is a way to get him in the mix for saves. JP ran into walks and injuries with the Rays, but I think Heuer can claim this job quickly.

I don't really trust Brandon Hyde to not pull the same games that Kevin Cash does, and go to Paul Fry for a few saves next week. Fry and Sulser have both been very good and I view them as co-heads, despite the last two going to Sulser. If Sulser gets the next few this week I'll change my mind. I still want to stay far away from the Os, and I think the Cubs will be similar. Still, both teams have gotten solid pen work, its just the challenge of winning games from this point forward.

Floro and Patton need to convert their next opps but I like them both equally. They have healthy competition though, so I'm less interested in them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

dylan floro

dan winkler 

Two more detailed updates from today's games; Floro came into the game in the 9th down 2-1 and surrendered an unearned run, after recording the first two outs, following a single and 2 errors by Jazz Chisholm. The 8th was pitched by Bass and Bleier with a 1-0 lead, so it look like that is the hierarchy with Bender on the outside looking in.

For the Cubs, Heuer came into the game in the 8th with the game tied at 5-5. Ryan and Winkler combined to pitch the 7th and struggled a bit. Heuer got into a little trouble with 2 men on, but induced a double play to end the inning. The other dark horse in the Cubs pen, 100 MPH Manny Rodriguez, came into the game in the 9th and gave up the game winning HR. Mirror situation to Miami, the picture looks like Heuer heading to the top ahead of Ryan and Winkler. That's my take anyway.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

After the deadline madness, how would you rank these guys for potential saves?

cole sulser

spencer patton

dylan floro

dan winkler 

1. Floro

2. The rest

1 hour ago, Richard Kimble said:

As we enter August, the trade deadline left a wake in its path across the Closerverse. Who is head of the White Sox dual monster? Same for Toronto? Some guys like Lou Trivino and Ian Kennedy became safer as closers, while closers like Soria, Garcia and Rodriguez were all dealt, stashers with shares of Hudson, Tepera, Chafin, etc., were left fuming. Baseball is funny like that. The Rays are a total mystery, as are the Cubs, Rangers, Twins, Marlins. A few early returns suggest Cole Sulser, Kyle Finnegan, Tyler Clippard are heads of their respective situations.

I know he was having a solid year in a zero-pressure situation in Texas, but does anyone else other than me think that Ian Kennedy is going to be a total disaster in Philly?

44 minutes ago, collucho said:

I imagine Finnegan will be pretty valuable ROS for Washington. I don't really see them blowing out any teams with that lineup. Wondering if he has jumped Brad Hand in value.

I think this is perfectly reasonable, if you're in a strictly saves league. As for the impact to Hand/Romano and Hendriks/Kimbrel, its undeniable in saves leagues. There are some leagues, however, where they perhaps gain value-if holds and saves are separate cats in a H2H matchup, or SV+H leagues in general, because there are more opportunities to notch one between each. Most of their managers are pretty PO'd, though, not all. 

3 hours ago, checkers said:

josh hader COVID IL..

No surprise.  He seems to have a don't care attitude.  I like him though.

• Haha 1

I know Ian Kennedy was fairly solid in a zero-pressure role pitching one inning a week for Texas, but does anyone else think he's going to struggle in Philly?  Kennedy just doesn't seem to me like the kind of pitcher that does well under pressure and also all relievers seem to get worse when they go to Philly

40 minutes ago, FootballFan101 said:

I know Ian Kennedy was fairly solid in a zero-pressure role pitching one inning a week for Texas, but does anyone else think he's going to struggle in Philly?  Kennedy just doesn't seem to me like the kind of pitcher that does well under pressure and also all relievers seem to get worse when they go to Philly

I guess we will see now!