NBC Sports EDGE Forums

2021 August Closer Thread

30 minutes ago, herschel said:

Reason no Kennedy in philly? He pitched 9 pitches yesterday.

Sucks?

Reason for Alvarado?

EDIT: Pitched/warmed in the last six games

Edited by BMcP

4 hours ago, swingbatter said:

couple more updates:

joe barlow activated from IL tonight, he might need one appearance before the ninth to get his legs back under him, but he should slide right back into closer role in texas.

1 hour ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Barlow in for the save. 

that was fast lol

The timing of this Alex Reyes situation is so unfortunate. No time to gamble on committees with the playoffs a week away, I'd drop at this point if clearer roles such as Ottavino or Barlow are still on your wire.

7 hours ago, swingbatter said:

barnes has been moved to Covid IL for 10 days minimum after testing positive. looks like it's ottavino's job to lose for now. 

Don't rule out Garrett Richards.  Since he has been moved to the bullpen he has actually pitched well and is already a set-up guy at times and not just a long inning eater.  Ottavino will most likely get the shot but I trust him as much as I trust ice not melting in July.  Richards has been far the better pitcher recently.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

as the season enters the last month, who do you think is the least valuable closer out of these guys?

joe barlow

kyle finnegan

david bednar

I put Barlow at the bottom of that list, because TEX Sept schedule is packed with a string of series from 9/10-9/22 vs OAK, HOU, CHW and NYY.  That’s 2 straight weeks with what one could assume will be very few SvOp.  

Bednar and the Buckos have the most favorable schedule, and I believe Stratton will not he seeing many SvOp as the team looks to cement their closer situation going into ‘22.  Plus, the guy is nasty.  

WAS also has a very favorable schedule, but I do not rate Finnegan as highly as Bednar in terms of talent.  

• Like 1

Just now, 80version said:

I put Barlow at the bottom of that list, because TEX Sept schedule is packed with a string of series from 9/10-9/22 vs OAK, HOU, CHW and NYY.  That’s 2 straight weeks with what one could assume will be very few SvOp.  

Bednar and the Buckos have the most favorable schedule, and I believe he will receice the lion’s share of SvOp over Stratton as the team looks to cement their closer situation going into ‘22.  Plus, Bednar is nasty.  

WAS also has a very favorable schedule, but I do not rate Finnegan as highly as Bednar in terms of talent and ability but he is their guy. 

9 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Patton in for the save. 

Woodward may have gone to Patton bc Joe Barlow pitched the night before, which was his first game back after coming off the IL.  I’d think Barlow is the guy to own in that pen, Woodward has not been a committee guy for his closer in the past. 

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1